Author Topic: Veterinary Nutritionist Bashes Kibble — But Only Some Types?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
. . .The article of which I speak discusses the link between low taurine levels in foods and dilated cardiomyopathy in Golden Retrievers and other breeds. Many of the brands linked with this problem have been grain free products. And that’s where Dr. Freeman started to forget basic biology and nutritional science, and perhaps show her influences. . .

First, who said anything about food allergies? I thought we were talking about taurine and cardiomyopathy? And there are far more reasons than a food allergy, hypersensitivity, or intolerance to avoid grains. The protein quality of grains is lower than that of meat. Grains are inflammatory in the body, and are often highly genetically modified. Feed grade grains may carry mold, pesticide residues such as glyphosate, or aflatoxins. And the carbohydrates they add to the food are something the dog has no nutritional requirement for.  Most importantly, they are actually in the food as cheap filler, and to allow food to be made in a kibble form.

Next, she says:

"Reconsider your dog’s diet. If you’re feeding a boutique, grain-free, or exotic ingredient diets, I would reassess whether you could change to a diet with more typical ingredients made by a company with a long track record of producing good quality diets.  And do yourself a favor – stop reading the ingredient list!  Although this is the most common way owners select their pets’ food, it is the least reliable way to do so."

Here is her recommendation:

“Change your dog’s diet to one made by a well-known reputable company and containing standard ingredients (e.g., chicken, beef, rice, corn, wheat).

More fluff and advocating for grains! Find a big, well known company? Interesting that in the veterinary “prescription” diets, corn or rice is often the major ingredient. And thinking back to the original focus of this article, taurine and heart disease, corn has virtually no taurine in it. Rice has little, and rice bran has actually been shown to reduce blood taurine levels in cats. Taurine is found in good quantities shellfish and meats, which can be lacking in both grain free and grain containing commercial kibble.

This is a really good article, and those are only paragraphs throughout the post. For the rest:

http://healthydogworkshop.com/veterinary-nutritionist-bashes-kibble-but-only-some-types/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Veterinary Nutritionist Bashes Kibble — But Only Some Types?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:27:49 PM »
Stop reading the ingredients list?  Reputable pet food company?    bangshead
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 04:22:38 AM »
I have yet to fully put any belief behind the idea that "reputable" and "pet food company" should be used in the same sentence without the word "not" added.
Brandon

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »
I didn't read the article (don't need to get myself upset), just the snip DeeDee posted.  I agree with Lola and Brandon's thoughts about "reputable pet food company" and just want to say:  NONE of them are "reputable."  Show me ONE that hasn't had multiple recalls, even some of the "better quality" ones.  And it seems like a lot of those "boutique" pet food companies have been taken over by the big conglomerates.  I'm not "sheep" enough to think they have my (pet's) best interest at heart.

As for this:

And do yourself a favor – stop reading the ingredient list!  Although this is the most common way owners select their pets’ food, it is the least reliable way to do so."

Only if you haven't educated yourself and understand that those ingredients are listed in order by weight, BEFORE they've been processed (dehydrated), and that esp. with cats, wet food or (even better) raw will always be a better choice due to the higher moisture & meat/fewer carbs content.  Nothing makes you learn about species-appropriate nutrition like living with a pet that has chronic health issues.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 03:14:19 PM »

Nothing makes you learn about species-appropriate nutrition like living with a pet that has chronic health issues.

I think that is how most of us have learned about pet food and the industry, in general.... through sick pets. :(

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »
Stop reading the ingredients list?  Reputable pet food company?    bangshead

and. . .

Only if you haven't educated yourself and understand that those ingredients are listed in order by weight, BEFORE they've been processed (dehydrated), and that esp. with cats, wet food or (even better) raw will always be a better choice due to the higher moisture & meat/fewer carbs content.  Nothing makes you learn about species-appropriate nutrition like living with a pet that has chronic health issues.

Haven't you seen the Blue commercials? All of those oblivious "customers" that didn't read the ingredients of their "sub par" food that they were switching from to Blue? (rhetorical)

I think that is how most of us have learned about pet food and the industry, in general.... through sick pets. :(

Yep. An Airedale with multiple food allergies (intolerance) made me start reading, and I've ended up here with raw.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 04:12:43 PM »
Blue Buffalo took over the shelves at my local grocery store.  And I MEAN took over.... 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 10:19:59 PM »
Haven't you seen the Blue commercials? All of those oblivious "customers" that didn't read the ingredients of their "sub par" food that they were switching from to Blue? (rhetorical)

I know it was rhetorical, but just had to say:  you mean you haven't heard me yelling at the TV "It's STILL kibble!  Meat may be the #1 ingredient, but that's BEFORE it was processed!"

Yeah, my neighbors love me.   Silly7  Kidding -- I don't yell that loud to the TV.  But I do say it.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: