Author Topic: Easy Crockpot Bone Broth  (Read 6272 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Easy Crockpot Bone Broth
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
I've seen several of you talk about making bone broth, but talked about it being time intensive. This is still time-intensive, but sounds easier since it wouldn't have to be watched as closely as something on a stove would:

Recipe:  Chicken Bone Broth

Ingredients:

a mixing bowl of chicken bones and cartilage (preferably from a pastured chicken)
coarsely chopped carrots, celery and onion
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
Filtered Water
salt and pepper to taste after cooking
Method:
Add vegetables and bones to crockpot
Add bay leaves if using
Fill with filtered water
Add 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Cook on low for at least 24 hours
Strain and store
Variation:  If you have cooked a crockpot chicken, keep all of the drippings and vegetables in the pot.  When you are done eating, add the bones back to the pot along with a fresh onion or two, fill with filtered water and 2 tbsp of vinegar and cook on low for 24 hours.   I do this a lot when I make a whole chicken.  Your broth will take on whatever flavors you used on your chicken, which is usually a delicious thing!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Easy Crockpot Bone Broth
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 09:38:48 PM »
Wish she'd posted a pic of what kind of crockpot she uses.  I am really at a loss on how to purchase one for my needs

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:48:34 PM »
When I was doing it, I was just using a regular slow cooker.  I forget the size (I have 2, and bought the bigger one for the bone broth).  If I remember, I'll look at the brand, etc. and post it here.  But the bottom line is, you can use any slow cooker.  They all pretty much work for something like that.  I think I left mine on Low for 24 hours to make the broth.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 10:14:11 PM »
Yeah, but they are all awful, at least the ones big enough to be any use to me.  I bought that one from Walmart, took it out of the box, realize how heavy and huge and ugly it was, put it back in the box and brought it back. And the paint on the stoneware was already chipped besides.

And the crock was so heavy I'd never have been able to lift it to pour out the broth.

In the reviews on Amazon one of the biggest complaints are how hot the outside frame gets.  That is not supposed to happen.  Some even posted pics of handles melted, burns from bumping up against it, stuff like that.

I think what it comes down to is, I really prefer stainless steel for cooking. Don't have to worry about paint chipping, or toxic non stick linings.

Is there really that much difference in energy use (electric) between using the stove top or using the slow cooker?

The inconvenience is the only issue really.  I have to turn it off, let it cool, pour it into a smaller pot to put it in the fridge over night, then start the process again the next day.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 10:49:39 PM »
I have a VERY old version of this slow cooker:
https://www.amazon.com/West-84905-5-Quart-Oblong-Shaped-Cooker/dp/B001AH5H0A/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472356094&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=westbound+slow+cooker

The outside does get hot though.  And it has the non-stick interior.  So much for my recommendation!  Oh.. the "pan" is light weight.   Silly7

West Bend 84905 5-Quart Oblong-Shaped Slow Cooker
Oblong-shaped slow cooker with adjustable temperature control
Generous 5-quart capacity for entertaining or dinner with the family
Oven-, range-top-, and freezer-safe cooking pot; glass lid included
Heating base doubles as a nonstick mini griddle; dishwasher-safe parts
Measures 7-1/4 by 12-3/4 by 8-3/4 inches; 1-year limited warranty
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:57:20 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 11:26:38 PM »
Thanks Lola. I like the idea of a base instead of a whole thing you have to set the crock into and lift out of like the one I bought and returned.  But I don't want to use non stick coating for Mazy cat's bone broth.  I do use a non stick frying pan for myself, and a large non stick sauce pot for my white sauce and my potato soup.

But not for Mazy cat.

Does anyone make a stainless steel slow cooker I wonder.  I'll have to search that.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 11:33:24 PM »
Thanks Lola. I like the idea of a base instead of a whole thing you have to set the crock into and lift out of like the one I bought and returned.  But I don't want to use non stick coating for Mazy cat's bone broth.  I do use a non stick frying pan for myself, and a large non stick sauce pot for my white sauce and my potato soup.

But not for Mazy cat.

Does anyone make a stainless steel slow cooker I wonder.  I'll have to search that.

I'm finding a couple.  So far they seem to come only in pressure cooker/slow cooker.  I don't really know the difference but I will look more tomorrow.  I am feeling hopeful.

I really need an 8 quart size. Anything smaller isn't much use to me.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »
I am leaning toward this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013TBYQ5Q?ref_=pe_623860_70668520

but getting the glass lid to use it for slow cooking

https://www.amazon.com/GoWISE-USA-Pressure-Cooker-Glass/dp/B015GB2EP6/ref=pd_sim_79_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=73EQ78748B87AYWN8BV6

Because I don't know if I would be brave enough, ever, to use the pressure cooker.

On the other hand pressure cooking, if I understand it right, will be a lot faster. IF I ever got brave enough.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 07:46:19 PM »
Looks like you're making progress.  I just wanted to pop in and say:  both of my cookers are ceramic.  But they're the kind where the ceramic sits inside of something, like you returned, and you have to lift it out.  When I made my broth, I didn't lift it out of the base.  I ladled the broth out into the mason jars.

fingerscrossed you find what you're looking for!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 08:16:51 AM »
Did you make a decision?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 06:20:14 PM »
Oh I didn't realize I never said.  yes I bought the one shown above. Picked it up today at the PO. It does seem like a lot of money for a slow cooker, but I am adamant I want stainless steel, so the heck with it.

Of course now the problem is where to store it, and will if even fit on the counter when being used.

This apartment just wasn't designed for living in it.  It was designed for someone who only comes home to sleep.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 05:16:23 PM »
Maybe someday you will use it as a pressure cooker too... get more bang for your buck.  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 12:09:18 PM »
Making my soup with the slow cooker function on the pressure cooker today.  I started it last night, around 6 p.m.  It's been going non stop since then.

The bones are soft and crumbling now but I want them completely disintegrated.  It will be interesting to see how much the vegetables disintegrate. Usually when making my own I only cook about 8 hours, the bones are still hard, and I strain them and the vegetables out.  8 hours is enough to release the collagen and get a nice aspic.

But after seeing how nice Mazy cat's broth comes out with the 24 hours and complete obliteration of the bones, I want that for myself too.

Soo much better to be able to let it go all night, rather than having to stop, cool, refirgerate and start it back up in the morning.

I have the day off today, was supposed to hike. Even if it rained I was determined to have my hike.  But it's pouring, my landlord never showed up to open his store (meaning I have the building to myself) and I hurt my back the other day so instead I am spending a heavenly day curled up on the couch with the heating pad and the cats, with the soup cooking away in the electric pot.

This is the kind of day I always long for but rarely get. What makes it really special is, it's a Friday, I still have the weekend to do my normal stuff.  Tomorrow I am spending the day with my aunt.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »
Sounds like a nice day off!  I hope you enjoy your visit!   :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 02:11:15 PM »
A little late, but... hope your back is better! 

Tags: