Author Topic: Brushing kitty's teeth  (Read 14833 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Brushing kitty's teeth
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »
On impulse I caught myself on video brushing The Kitten's teeth one evening with c.e.t. enzymatic veterinary paste, poultry flavor..  This is a nightly event, and all four cats are done.  They did have to go through some training to learn to accept it, but it only takes a few minutes a night for four cats, now. Click on photo to play video

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Brushing kitty's teeth
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
You didn't brush for two minutes!!   ;D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:05:12 AM »
Ha ha ha! 

Seriously though, that's the beauty of c.e.t.  paste. It's not the brushing/abrasive action that is important.  C.e.t.  just needs to make contact with teeth and gum to do the job. Most pastes you buy for pets is useless.  Animals need an enzymatic paste, enzymatic (for anyone who might not know) means "breaks down bacteria".  Just getting the paste into the pet's mouth is beneficial, but of course daily direct contact with teeth and gums is better.

Lola I wasn't sure where to put this, really.  It comes under cat care, definitely, but then we have this section for videos. Someone wanting to know about brushing their cat's teeth might not think to check the video section.  So I was torn, then figured, well I can always link someone to this thread, if they come looking for help under Cats.

Or I can start a thread on teeth brushing in cats and link to this thread.  Or should it be moved to the cat's section.  arrgh, there I go again.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:13:58 AM »
Ha ha ha! 

Seriously though, that's the beauty of c.e.t.  paste. It's not the brushing/abrasive action that is important.  C.e.t.  just needs to make contact with teeth and gum to do the job. Most pastes you buy for pets is useless.  Animals need an enzymatic paste, enzymatic (for anyone who might not know) means "breaks down bacteria".  Just getting the paste into the pet's mouth is beneficial, but of course daily direct contact with teeth and gums is better.

Lola I wasn't sure where to put this, really.  It comes under cat care, definitely, but then we have this section for videos. Someone wanting to know about brushing their cat's teeth might not think to check the video section.  So I was torn, then figured, well I can always link someone to this thread, if they come looking for help under Cats.

Or I can start a thread on teeth brushing in cats and link to this thread.  Or should it be moved to the cat's section.  arrgh, there I go again.

Hmmmm  I think cat care seems better.  It is about caring for a cat first...and being a video second.  ??  Let me know, if you want me to move it.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »
Hmmmm  I think cat care seems better.  It is about caring for a cat first...and being a video second.  ??  Let me know, if you want me to move it.

Yes please, I agree with you it should be under cat care.  Thank you.

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »
We use CET toothpaste too (beef flavor)  thumbsup1

I use the CET little white toothbrush~ it works really well.  Tasha & TT have feline herpes which effects their teeth, and TT's teeth in particular get pretty bad; I really think brushing has helped  ;D

cat3

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:02:39 PM »
Yes please, I agree with you it should be under cat care.  Thank you.

Okay...there isn't a Cat Care area.  That wasn't nice of you to trick me.   ;)  Let me see what I can do to MAKE a Cat Care area. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Okay...there isn't a Cat Care area.  That wasn't nice of you to trick me.   ;)  Let me see what I can do to MAKE a Cat Care area. 

LOL! 

Great new section idea. :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:16:19 AM »
We use CET toothpaste too (beef flavor)  thumbsup1

I use the CET little white toothbrush~ it works really well.  Tasha & TT have feline herpes which effects their teeth, and TT's teeth in particular get pretty bad; I really think brushing has helped  ;D

cat3

It really does make a difference. I am thrilled with the results.  It won't eliminate the need for professional cleanings entirely of course, but it sure is cutting down on the frequency.  None of my younger cats (7, 5 and 1) have needed dentals yet.  My senior boy has had several, but he also has had some resorptive lesions (FORL), he doesn't have many teeth left from that disease, but the ones he does have are clean and tartar free. :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »
How often do you have your cats' professionally cleaned? 

I have ours checked out by the vet when they go, but none have ever had them cleaned.   :o

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 06:24:03 AM »
How often do you have your cats' professionally cleaned? 

I have ours checked out by the vet when they go, but none have ever had them cleaned.   :o

Of the current gang, only my senior boy has ever needed a cleaning, so far, and he has had four, his first being when he was 5 years old.  He gets resorption lesions though, that is one reason he has had so many, and now has hardly any teeth left.  But since I started the daily 'brushing' he was able to go two years without needing a cleaning.

Dental health is largely genetic in cats, and he seems to collect tartar very quickly, which is why he needed his first cleaning when he was five.  It's always a very stressful time because he is my seizure kitty.  He takes phenobarbital, so it is extra scary to me to have him need anesthesia.  But then I switched vets and my lovely new to me then vet told me about c.e.t paste, and things are much better since then.  NO more resportive lesions (though home brushing is not proven to prevent them) and much less tartar.

My seven year old, (FLUTD kitty) adopted when she was one, has sparkling teeth with no tartar.  The five year old, rescued when she was about 2, has some tartar she came with, but it has not progressed to the point of needing a cleaning, and I am sure it is the c.e.t. that is keeping it that way.

The kitten's teeth are shiny clean, as she has been having them brushed since she was 8 weeks old.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 07:12:24 AM »
Do you have all 10 of your fingers still?   ;)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 07:50:52 AM »
Do you have all 10 of your fingers still?   ;)

heehee

It wasn't too difficult to train them to accept it.  Just a little time and patience, if it's done right a cat can learn to accept most anything. I have a process.:)

I was really amazed that my FLUTD kitty was able to learn to accept it.  She was unsocialized when I adopted her.  Even after over 6 years, she amazes me every day with the things she has learned to allow.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
How to train kitty to accept teeth brushing
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 07:52:49 AM »
I started by, at the same time every night, just getting them used to me rubbing my finger lightly along their lip line, either side. Most cats like this any way. (if you are planning to use a brush, you might start this with the brush.  I have always just used my finger)

While doing this, I was putting the c.e.t. toothpaste, poultry flavor on a paw for them to lick off, and get used to the taste. (they actually like it!)

This helps them associate the finger (or brush) rubbing along the mouth with the taste of the c.e.t.

Then, I started making the action more purposeful, putting them in the "holding position", which is: me on my knees, feet crossed behind me, cat between my knees facing out.

With cat in holding position, using a little more pressure which parts the lips, I'd be rubbing their teeth and gums instead of the lips, while they get used to me restraining them while doing it. After the action, again, putting a little paste on the paw.

Again, so now they are associating the action with the taste of the c.e.t.

From there, I put the c.e.t. toothpaste on my finger, hold them in position, and rub it into their teeth and gums.

This was a bit messy, so lately I've learned to use my other hand to kind of pry open the lips so I can make direct contact with the molars and gumline.

All this took time of course, but cats can get used to any sort of handling if it's done gradually and gently enough.

Oh,I forgot to mention..I always wash my hands before starting and between each cat.

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »
T&T are only 4 years old~ Tasha has not needed a cleaning yet  coolgif2

TT had really bad tartar very early, so he got his first cleaning at the age of 2 and that is when I started his brushing.

Tasha won't let me brush her teeth~ she is really hard to handle  cat2 because the person who fostered her before me didn't handle her much when she was little.  TT was sick as a kitten and had to have a lot of treatments that required him to be handled~ his personality is totally different.

cat3