Author Topic: Dogs Are Carnivores  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Dogs Are Carnivores
« on: February 14, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »
Why do so many (including "experts") think dogs are Omnivores?  

Myth: DOGS ARE OMNIVORES.

This is false. Dogs are carnivores, not omnivores. Dogs ARE very adaptable, but just because they can survive on an omnivorous diet does not mean it is the best diet for them. The assumption that dogs are natural omnivores remains to be proven, whereas the truth about dogs being natural carnivores is very well-supported by the evidence available to us.
http://rawfed.com/myths/omnivores.html

Dogs Have a Natural
and Undeniable Carnivorous Bias

From DNA studies, we know dogs evolved directly from the timber wolf somewhere around 15,000 years ago.
And, of course, it should come as no surprise… wolves are clearly carnivores.
So, by their very genetic pedigree, dogs also demonstrate similar and noticeable carnivorous traits. Their teeth, their digestive systems and their behavior clearly confirm this fact.
Yet dogs must also be recognized for their significant omnivorous ability.
After all, they do have the ability to eat a remarkably diverse diet.  But it’s inappropriate to ignore the fact their bodies are optimized for eating meat.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/canine-nutrition/dogs-carnivores-omnivores/

Got a link...post it.  :D

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Dogs Are Carnivores
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »
Most of the sites that came up when I googled "study wolf diet" were in regard to how they are feeding off of cattle.
Many of them were studies on percentages of cattle vs. moose, elk, deer, and other large herbivores.
Not a single one included how much grains, fruits, and veggies a wolf consumed.

I did find one interesting site:  Wolf Country
On their food diet page, they do mention that wolves will occasionally eat fruits and berries (no mention of veggies), as a minor part of their diet.  Grass is eaten to purge the digestive system.
I also found the wolf hunting page very interesting.  Consider, if wolves prey primarily on the weak/ill, what does that say for their digestive systems?

Dogs are not that far removed from wolves.  I do not believe that a dog's digestive system has been so much altered that they need as much fruits and veggies as many folks claim.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:05:56 PM by FurMonster Mom »
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Growlies

• Yapper
    • Growlies.ca
Re: Dogs Are Carnivores
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
Dogs are Facultative Carnivores meaning they will eat anything to stave off starvation but long term require meat, fat, bone & organ as their primary sources of nutrition.

Facultative Carnivore a carnivore that does not depend solely on animal flesh for food but also can subsist on non-animal food for short periods of time. Compare this with the term omnivore.

Tags: Dogs Carnivores