Author Topic: I found certified organic non-GMO cornish hens!  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
I found certified organic non-GMO cornish hens!
« on: February 07, 2016, 08:22:45 AM »
I ordered four.  With shipping $117.  It was now or never, while it is still cold out! Since I can't be home to collect it when it is delivered I need it to still be freezing out for delivery. And it's going to be cold this week.  Just need to remember to instruct my landlord, if he is here when it is delivered to NOT bring it inside his store to hold for me.

I figured if I use the CH for a Sunday meal for Mazy cat, like I do with Queen Eva and Jennie's beef chunk meals, four hens will last me a year.

If I get more than I anticipated out of each hen for meals, then I will add a meal during the week. At over $2 a meal, it's expensive, but I have got to have another protein for Mazy cat!

They are small, so hopefully will fit in my box in my friends' freezer.

I forgot to ask them if they include giblets.  It doesn't matter, I still want them, but I hope they do. Jennie-Jennie can have the bones. :)

https://rockymtncuts.com/product/organic-chicken/organic-free-range-whole-cornish-game-hen/

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: I found certified organic non-GMO cornish hens!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
I saw cornish hens at Aldi around Christmastime when I was getting some things. I didn't even think to check to see if the hens and the ducks were organic though. But Aldi is supposed to be expanding their organic lines a lot. It was in the news recently.

Do you have an Aldi near you?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 12:57:57 PM »
Yes there is an Aldi right down the road from me.  But I hate going in there, it smells.  Never thought of looking there. I will though, now that you've mentioned it.

People keep telling me to go to the "Green Earth" our local "health food" store, but it's gross in there too. Filthy.

I suppose if the meats ore prepackaged types, already frozen, it might be okay...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:19:46 PM »
I don't go there but about once every 6 weeks, but they've got a lot of gluten-free things, and goat and sheep cheese there for a LOT less than other places, and a lot of it is organic. So I go and stock up. If they expand their organics even more like they were talking about on the news, then I'll be going more often.

Ours is really clean, but I get confused in there for some reason, and I never can depend on exactly the same produce every time.  Hubs doesn't like it in there at all.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 02:12:04 PM »
Good for you!!!
I can't imagine "over $2 a meal" being considered expensive though.  ;) 
When will it arrive?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 06:11:32 PM »
Coming in tomorrow.  Thankfully it's going to only be about 10 degrees or less tomorrow, so it will be okay outside until I get home. I'll keep two to cut up (where am I going to put them in my non existent freezer space, argh) and bring the others over to my friend's freezer.

By the way there was a delay in me getting any notifications in my order, and I freaked out and sent them an e mail telling them if they were going to be so unreliable I didn't want to order from them.  I received a very nice phone call and e mail from them apologizing for the delay and that they had "added some extra product" to my order to make up for my inconvenience. Now THAT's customer service!

I am going to try the Food Fur Life complete mix.

http://www.foodfurlife.com/

Since I won't be always able to find liver for Mazy cat, if she can tolerate the mix, (not organic but all GMO free I have been assured) that will keep her eating raw, even with no organ.

My thread on the Food Fur Life is here:

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=4182.0

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 07:17:25 PM »
The Cornish hens are in! bananamiddlechild.

Along with TWO extra hens, he threw in a couple of beef patties (large enough to give me at least three servings per patty) and some weird garlic pepper bacon thing that I gave to my landlord.

I kept two for cutting up and ran the other four over to my box in my friend's freezer. I can hardly wait to start giving the CH to her.  When I was first starting with PMR, before I found she couldn't handle regular grocery store meat, Cornish hen was Mazy cat's favorite protein.

I'll get her started on tiny bits now, so that by the time the EZcomplete premix gets here I'll be ready to try her out on that too.

I'm going to use the EZcomplete in rotation with the chunks and livers with calcium that they are already getting.

My only worry is if Mazy cat will tolerate the premix. It's ALL non-GMO ingredients, so even though it's not organic I am thinking it should be okay.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 07:26:06 PM »
Companies that ship frozen products go to great lengths to keep everything frozen.  At least that has been my experience with a few different companies... and over 100 degree weather! 
I'm glad you found the cornish hens.  I understand the excitement.  :)

EDIT:  Apparently it took me over 10 minutes to post.  lol 
Glad everything arrived safe and sound.  The extras the company added... WOW!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:29:09 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 08:25:07 PM »
Please keep us posted on how she does with the hens and the premix.   fingerscrossed   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 08:31:15 PM »
Here's more news for you about Aldi too:

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/544019374143447040
It is the first major grocery store in Europe to ban the pesticides found to be dangerous to bees, but it is going much further.

German owned Aldi announced, on January 1, that they will be removing eight pesticides from all US stores as soon as possible.

The pesticides are

Thiamethoxam
Chlorpyrifos
Clothianidin
Cypermethrin
Deltamethrin
Fipronil
Imidacloprid
Sulfoxaflor

They are expanding their organic food brands, removing some artificial ingredients from products and adding more gluten-free items.

They have removed certified synthetic colors, partially hydrogenated oils, and MSG from their private-label products (which make up 90% of sales).

They have expanded their sales of fresh and organic meat and produce, including the “Never Any!” brand of meats that contain no added antibiotics, hormones, animal by-products or other additives.

The chain will also expand the SimplyNature line (which is free of more than 125 artificial ingredients) and their gluten-free liveGfree brand.

Their milk was free of artificial growth hormones, but now its yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, and other dairy products will be as well.

Lastly, they have begun to offer more high-end foods like artisanal cheeses, smoked salmon, quinoa, and coconut oil.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 08:36:32 PM »
I guess I better try them again.  My friend shops there a lot.  It's just....it smells in there.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
I cut up two Cornish hens tonight. One was tiny, and the other seemed to be the average size of the rest.  The tiny one I got 9 1.1 oz meals, the larger one I got 13 1.1 oz meals.  And two "starter" portions of .4 (4/10) oz each. I had estimated 12 meals per hen before I even bought them, so I am pretty impressed with myself hahahaha!

I really made an effort to scrape every last shred of meat off those bones, even the tiny wings. The bones I will probably give to Jennie, I tried Queen Eva on a tiny wing tip but she just wouldn't even try to eat it. Jennie ate it instead. funny2

Mazy cat had a small piece of the hen, just for starters.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »
love1 love1 love1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »
How much does a section of the ice cube tray hold?  1 oz?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 10:02:38 AM »
Those are 1.1 oz servings in each cube.

Mazy cat had one of her starter pieces of the Cornish hen yesterday for lunch. The Coleman's organic chicken thigh, and liver,  for supper.

Tags: