Author Topic: Set oil stains  (Read 7504 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Set oil stains
« on: February 05, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
I'm embarrassed to say I have a good-size pile of clothes that have oil stains on them (from cooking, eating, whatever).  The stains are set.  I've searched the internet for ways to remove them, but before I give them a try I thought I'd see in anyone here has a tried-and-true method.  I really hate to toss that many clothes.

Thanks in advance!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Set oil stains
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »
If they're set badly, put some plastic wrap in the middle of them so you don't have it going through to the back, and spray a little WD-40 on the stain to "recharge" the oil. Then use a good bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid and rub it in well. THEN sprinkle some baking soda on the whole thing and lightly brush it with a soft toothbrush.

Wash as usual but don't put in dryer. Hang to let dry and see if it got it all. If it didn't, just repeat until you finally get it. Don't put in a dryer again until you have it all out or it will set it hard again.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 02:10:48 PM »
Thanks, Dee!  I did see that solution online but was hesitant to try it for fear of making it worse.  Having someone I know suggest it makes me feel much better about it.   Hug1 :-* :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »
Don't put in a dryer again until you have it all out or it will set it hard again.

Not to mention it isn't the greatest idea to put oil near a heat source Silly7
Brandon

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 04:30:34 PM »
Shout It Out always work(ed) for me.  I haven't had to use it in a very long time.  Food grease, vehicle repairing liquids, and grass stains were my biggies.  Spray, wait a few minutes, wash in the hottest water your fabric can handle.  ONCE in a while I would have to treat something twice. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 04:32:27 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: