Author Topic: A food scale story  (Read 5787 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
A food scale story
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:52:35 PM »
When I was getting ready to feed PMR of course I bought a food scale.  I did some researching and asked for opinions and ended up with this one. Amazon.com: EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale, White: Kitchen & Dining

I've been happy with it, though it did seem to go through batteries quickly, but it was my first scale and I use it multiple times a day, so I didn't know if that was normal.

Then the display starting cutting out on me. Very frustrating. I rely so heavily on a scale every day, I quickly ordered something else and posted a review about my disappointment with this one.  I was contacted in 24 hours by the makers of the scale. I was told while the problems I was having weren't common problems, I wasn't the first to encounter them, and they are sending me a new scale, which will be tested to make sure it doesn't have the same problems.

So I changed my review, because I really do like this scale.

In the mean time though I did order another, and have decided to let the order go through, and keep a back up scale.  I don't ever want to be without a working scale again.  It's worse than the computer breaking down, almost! 

This is the new one I ordered, based on a recommendation elsewhere from our own Auntie Crazy

Amazon.com: Ozeri Touch Professional Digital Kitchen Scale (11 lb Edition), Tempered Glass in Elegant Black: Kitchen & Dining

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: A food scale story
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »
This is the one that I use... http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA
I've had it since I began PMR 7 years ago.  I've changed the (AAA) batteries about 3-4 times over the years (I use the "expensive" ones).
There are a couple features that I like about it;
  • The stainless steel top pops off, makes for easy cleaning.
  • The readout display actually pulls out as well.  It is tethered by a sturdy wire, but it also makes for easy cleaning.  Slight quirk, though, it also means that the readout can be overly sensitive in the normal position.  I've found that pulling it out reduces that, and I get more accurate readings
  • LED backlight is optional.  I like this, because I don't usually like super bright LED stuff.  So, I usually leave it off.
The graduation is by the 1/8 (.125) oz as opposed to the 1/10 (.1), but it's really quite close enough.  An eighth of an ounce of meat is a very small sliver, I don't think I could cut anything smaller, lol.

I don't know what I'd do if it failed completely on me.  I've gotten pretty good at eyeballing the portions, but I wouldn't want to do that for long.  I'd probably have to resort to ordering a new one online, since all the scales in the retail stores only graduate by the 1/4 oz, which is not close enough in my book.  The Ozeri scale does look nice.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:18:29 AM »
That's cool about the company replacing your scale!!!  I've heard similar stories about companies and Amazon reviews.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »
I forgot I posted this thread.  Thanks FMM.  I wouldn't like the pull out feature, space is really at a premium here.

I now have the original scale and two backups: the replacement one and the one I ordered that Auntie Crazy uses.

Yes, buying from Amazon can really help.  I once purchased something that, when it came, was not as advertised.  I wrote to Amazon with my complaint (not a review, just a private complaint), and they gave me a refund (without requiring a return)

I think it's very smart of companies to keep tabs on the reviews of their products!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:35:44 AM »
I'm looking for a new scale...again.  I sometimes have to weigh powdered supplements for the furkids' food.  I have a fear of over-dosing them, so I want measurements to be exact. 
I was thinking this scale would be good for postage AND supplements.  I've purchased from this company before and have been very pleased.
Thoughts?
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-7001dx-black.html

PS  I was thinking of ordering a calibration weight also... see how accurate my old scale is.  :)

This is the new one I ordered, based on a recommendation elsewhere from our own Auntie Crazy

Amazon.com: Ozeri Touch Professional Digital Kitchen Scale (11 lb Edition), Tempered Glass in Elegant Black: Kitchen & Dining
MC, are you happy with that scale?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:38:06 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »
No I hated it and sent it back.

Out of all the scales I've tried now (six or seven) this is my favorite and I am on my second one, my own fault. It's inevitable the scale will get wet and I spilled something on one of the buttons (the tare button) and it wouldn't tare a any more

I bought the adapter too so I don't have to worry about the 9 volt battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OIRSSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It weighs grams just fine. too.  I use a nickel for accuracy assurance.  A nickel weighs .176 oz. If you do get the calibration weight let us know how it works!

I have this one in the drawer for back up

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-AMW-SC-2KG-Digital/dp/B001RF3XJ2/ref=pd_sim_79_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41DJQlFSr8L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=PE38TF15WYEM8MGN7ESG

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 08:58:02 AM »
I TOTALLY forgot about using a nickel to check for accuracy!!  Thanks for reminding me. 

MC,
The scale you are currently using and like... what is the most weight it can handle?  I see 2000 grams = 4-ish pounds.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:33:37 AM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »
I think I am going to go with this one:
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-7001dx-black.html

I bought from OldWillKnott before, and was very happy with product and service. 
I don't need all the extras that come with this scale, but ...I do like that it has the ability to weigh up to 15 pounds.  I also like the 3 decimal readout. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 07:51:03 PM »
I only weigh ounces of things.  :) Do you make and freeze a batch in a six serving (1 meal each for six cats) size? Then thaw three of those a day?

Wait, even so that would only be at the most a pound. I am interested in why you want a larger weight capacity.

Let us know how you like it.!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
I only weigh ounces of things.  :) Do you make and freeze a batch in a six serving (1 meal each for six cats) size? Then thaw three of those a day?

Wait, even so that would only be at the most a pound. I am interested in why you want a larger weight capacity.

Let us know how you like it.!

I freeze 3 meals at one time.  One container for the dog and one for the cats.  The cat container is 30 oz.  They eat approximately 5 oz each.   
We eyeball servings.  The smaller cats get a bit less.  The more active or bigger cats get a bit more. 

When I mail packages from my home, I print the postage at home also.  I need to know the weight of the package in order to purchase and print the postage.

Also, I like to weigh the cats.  I have a people scale for Lacy dog.

Anyway... one scale would have dual purposes.  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 04:16:41 AM »
Finally ordered scale.  I should have it Wednesday.  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 05:22:17 AM »

I freeze 3 meals at one time.  One container for the dog and one for the cats. The cat container is 30 oz.  They eat approximately 5 oz each.   
We eyeball servings.  The smaller cats get a bit less.  The more active or bigger cats get a bit more. 

When I mail packages from my home, I print the postage at home also.  I need to know the weight of the package in order to purchase and print the postage.

Also, I like to weigh the cats.  I have a people scale for Lacy dog.

Anyway... one scale would have dual purposes.  :)

I'm sorry I am confused.  30 oz = 1 day's meals total per cat?  Each cat eats 5 oz a day?  Divided into 3 meals? How many batches do you do at a time?

How have you been doing this without a scale all this time?

I have room to only freeze about 2 pounds or less of meat at a time. It takes 24 hours for servings to freeze into the ice cube trays (covered in waxed paper)

I do have a baby scale for weighing the cats. :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
I'm sorry I am confused.  30 oz = 1 day's meals total per cat?  Each cat eats 5 oz a day?  Divided into 3 meals? How many batches do you do at a time?

6 cats x 5 oz = 30 oz = 1 container per day.  They get no daily variety.   Silly7
As far as batches, I just make pounds of whatever I have on hand.  I make a batch every week or so.  I like to have a variety on hand. 
It takes 3 days for pet food to thaw in the refrigerator.  We keep 3 containers for the cats and 3 containers for the dog in the refrigerator at all times.  We feed a container daily, and then we add a frozen container to the refrigerator.  There is always one thawed meal ready to go, and two containers in the process of thawing.  I'm not fond of raw meat and I'm probably paranoid a bit.  I don't want food thawed for several days before it is fed. 
How have you been doing this without a scale all this time?

I have a scale I use to weigh meat and organs.  But the scale is really old and maybe not so accurate anymore.  I wasn't too worried if it was off by an ounce or such for meat.  But I want to be totally accurate for supplements. 
The Alnutrin supplements I buy from Hare Today come in packages with a little measuring cup.  If I buy directly from the company.... no measuring cup.  I have to weigh out x amount of grams.  I believe the FoodForLife is the same.  I want to be sure the supplements are exact.  That is why I bought a new scale.
We do eyeball servings, when we feed the cats and dog though.  We know one container feeds all the cats for a day.  We freeze the dog food the same way... one container feeds Lacy dog for a day.  Things get a bit more complicated when daily meals are pre-packaged commercial raw foods.  :)

I have room to only freeze about 2 pounds or less of meat at a time. It takes 24 hours for servings to freeze into the ice cube trays (covered in waxed paper)

I am fortunate enough to have space for a pet food only freezer.  It holds LOTS of food that has already been made and pounds of meat and organs waiting to be made.  I LOVE my freezer!
I'm surprised it takes 24 hours for food to freeze in ice cube trays.  That seems like a long time.  Especially for such a small amount.   :-\

I do have a baby scale for weighing the cats. :)

We put a cat in a box and then put the cat on my postal scale. 
I usually shoot for about every 3 months.  More often if there are any major food changes... brands or proteins.  Some have been weighed at the vet's over the last few months though.  I was more anal about weighing them, when we transitioned them from kibble to canned... and then from canned to raw. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:11:11 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 12:48:59 PM »
How many meals a day? (cats)  I mean, how do you split up that 5 ounces per cat? 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »

The Alnutrin supplements I buy from Hare Today come in packages with a little measuring cup.  If I buy directly from the company.... no measuring cup.  I have to weigh out x amount of grams.  I believe the FoodForLife is the same.  I want to be sure the supplements are exact.  That is why I bought a new scale.

Save the little cup from Hare Today? Or do they totally change the formula?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."