Author Topic: Lotus Raw Cat Food  (Read 581 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Lotus Raw Cat Food
« on: January 03, 2020, 12:44:28 PM »
The specialty pet food store that used to carry Rad Cat also carries this brand:  Lotus Pet Foods.  They also make kibble yuk and canned, but I would like to get everyone's thoughts on their raw.  The link to the raw cat food page is here:  https://www.lotuspetfoods.com/cat-food/raw-food

I only looked at a couple of the proteins and have to say, I'm not sure why they need the torula yeast, and I'm not a fan of the added psyllium husk but that's probably for fiber.  In doing a quick search, the yeast is probably being added for nutritional value:

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2019/12/03/pet-food-from-wood.aspx

Presented as a novel protein source, torula yeast is said to exhibit several properties that make it even more attractive for pet food and livestock feed applications. Besides torula being sustainable, the wood it digests is also renewable and plentiful, as it’s easily acquired from existing supply chains that generate an abundance of residue material.

Additionally, Ekmay says torula yeast is easy to handle, as well as extrude. More importantly, it contains amino acids as well as “functional fibers”6 that may be beneficial for animals’ digestive health, without any allergens or heavy metals. Food Ingredients First notes:

“The product is a highly bioavailable source of protein and amino acids, according to the company. It also contains functional fibers including beta-glucans, as well as B vitamins, which are necessary for good health. Additionally, a recent pig model evaluation indicated that overall protein digestibility is 96 percent.”7

That said, I'm still not too keen on having it in pet food.  Aside from that one ingredient, and knowing that there really is no perfect commercial raw, I'd be interested in everyone else's thoughts on this particular food.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Lotus Raw Cat Food
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 01:12:18 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the yeast or the psyllium. It looks like an okay food!  I would want to add egg yolk to the diet on my own though, if feeding that, as there is no egg yolk in it..

EDIT When I say "I wouldn't worry", my meaning is, I, as in myself, wouldn't worry about it. Just to be clear.  Hug1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 10:44:00 PM »
Adding the egg yolk for nutritional value or for hairball prevention?  Just curious.

Thanks for checking it out!  I still get emails from the specialty pet food store I used to go to for Pookie's Rad Cat, and they're sent me a sort of coupon for the Lotus raw and also for Vital Essentials.  I don't know that either of them are in the budget, but I thought it would be good to look into them for when the budget does allow for raw, since I could get them from the store and not have to order online or deal with shipping.  I may stop by there tomorrow just to get their thoughts about those brands, too, and what their customers like.

In taking a quick look at the Vital Essentials, that also looks like a good option but I don't see a calcium source unless it's the goat milk.  So I want to talk to them about that as well.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 06:49:14 AM »
Adding the egg yolk for nutritional value or for hairball prevention?  Just curious.

Primarily for nutrition. Yolk provides a lot of vitamins plus the choline for motility. The added benefit is helping the fur pass. :)

Tags: