Author Topic: Dr. Elsey's Litter  (Read 12772 times)

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
Re: Dr. Elsey's Litter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 08:33:29 PM »
Yes Lola, that's the right scoop. The video made it look like a definite improvement on regular scoops. I had to use a covered box with Simba because he peed all over, like most boys! Katie is such a dainty little girl and never misses her spot. I use one similar to the Biddy Box but smaller. I love that the sides are rounded and easy to clean. Plus it's shiny coating keeps stuff from sticking. Next time I need litter I think I'll try to find the Dr. Elsey's especially since it's priced so much better than most. Hopefully they'll have it in smaller bags because I can't carry a 40lb bag.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:22:36 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
Yes Lola, that's the right scoop. The video made it look like a definite improvement on regular scoops. I had to use a covered box with Simba because he peed all over, like most boys! Katie is such a dainty little girl and never misses her spot. I use one similar to the Biddy Box but smaller. I love that the sides are rounded and easy to clean. Plus it's shiny coating keeps stuff from sticking. Next time I need litter I think I'll try to find the Dr. Elsey's especially since it's priced so much better than most. Hopefully they'll have it in smaller bags because I can't carry a 40lb bag.  ::)

Thanks for the scooper info!

Dr. Elsey's Precious cat litter does come in smaller packages.  The larger bag is better priced...like most things.  The Petco in my area only carries the Cat Attract.   :(  It is higher priced.  PetsMart carries all the flavors.  :)

I can't say enough GOOD things about this litter.  Absolutely NO negatives.  
No dust.  
No perfume smell in the air... or on the cats.  
No sticking.  
Clumps great.
Next to no tracking.  
Great odor control.  (I tell people if they really want to know how well their litter controls odors...put a litter box in their bedroom!)  
No sneezing...me or the cats.    
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:21:48 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 02:49:30 PM »
Yes, that's it Lola  :)

I didn't realize Petco had started carrying it  ;D

I agree that Dr Elsey's is the best litter, but I have seen a lot of people say they hate it  :-\

cat3
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:15:31 PM by Lola »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 05:33:17 PM »
Im going to have to try this one after im finished with this other one(fresh 4 life) I bought.  They carry it at PetSmart. Hope its not too expensive!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:15:49 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 09:39:47 PM »
I agree that Dr.Elsey's is the best litter, but I have seen a lot of people say they hate it  :-\

cat3

Noooooooooo way!  Do you think they were just being pizzy because you (or someone else) may have been being too "strong" of a cheer leader for it?  I can't imagine not liking ANYTHING about it.  

Not only do I LOVE it  Bumpurr1 ...but the changes in our cats' litter box behavior was a VERY good sign they love it as well.  I can't imagine what someone (or a cat) wouldn't like about it.  

Maybe because their home doesn't have a pine or some other perfume-y smell that so many litters have...so they assume it isn't working?   :-\  I'm stunned.  

Shadow,
I pay $14.99 for 40 pounds of "regular" Precious Cat.  I've tried every brand of litter available.  Some lower priced than others and visa versa.  I find Precious Cat reasonably priced.  Cat Attract is more pricey.  I bought it, by mistake, when I first wanted to try the brand.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:16:26 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 08:11:37 PM »
It seems like the people who don't like Dr Elsey's really like WBCL ~ I really didn't care for WBCL.  I know someone that tried Dr Elseys because I told her it was great and she insisted that the litterbox smelled awful and she had to go back to her old litter...  I can't explain it.

Another thing I like about Dr Elsey's is that they give free "shelter cat kits" to rescue organizations.  The kit includes a booklet, coupons for free litter and a sample of Cat Attract.   thumbsup1

cat3
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:16:46 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »
It seems like the people who don't like Dr Elsey's really like WBCL ~ I really didn't care for WBCL.  I know someone that tried Dr Elseys because I told her it was great and she insisted that the litterbox smelled awful and she had to go back to her old litter...  I can't explain it.

Another thing I like about Dr Elsey's is that they give free "shelter cat kits" to rescue organizations.  The kit includes a booklet, coupons for free litter and a sample of Cat Attract.   thumbsup1

cat3

I have always been pretty anal about scooping and cleaning the litter boxes.  People have told me many times that they wouldn't know we had cats, if they couldn't see them.  Sooooo whatever I was using before changing to Precious Cat, was working... as far as smell.  BUT the difference, for me, was the next to NO DUST issue.  
I hate to admit this, but it took me changing to Precious Cat to realize the kitty sneezes (and not covering) were because of the previous litters.  You know how "we" ASSuME certain things are "normal,"  :-[ and then find out later that they are not...  

The donation of Precious Cat litter to shelters is a wonderful thing!  Mannnnnny people continue to use whatever the shelter was using.  That's cool that there are probably a lot of kitties out there not having to deal with the perfume smells or dust issues that most other litters have.  cat3
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:17:09 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 11:22:08 PM »
I bought some today at Petsmart and keeping fingers crossed Katie won't have any problems adjusting. She took to the WB fine after she gave me a funny look since she was use to clay at the pound. It's almost half the price of WB, I like that! I just wish it was flushable since I scoop as soon as Katie uses the box. Yes, I'm anal about it too because I have a very small house and her box is in the bathroom. I need some kind of container near the box that I can dump it in and take out to the garbage once a day. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:17:30 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 01:01:28 AM »
I bought some today at Petsmart and keeping fingers crossed Katie won't have any problems adjusting. She took to the WB fine after she gave me a funny look since she was use to clay at the pound. It's almost half the price of WB, I like that! I just wish it was flushable since I scoop as soon as Katie uses the box. Yes, I'm anal about it too because I have a very small house and her box is in the bathroom. I need some kind of container near the box that I can dump it in and take out to the garbage once a day. Any suggestions?

Good to hear that Precious Cat litter is cheaper than World's Best!!   thumbsup1

We have a litter box (or two) in just about every room of the house. So when I changed brands, there were always a few boxes that still had the old brand.  Some boxes would have old and new brands.  Lots of choices.  However, the boxes that had only Precious Cat litter in them were used as normally as before any changes.  

Like I have mentioned, I have tried mannnnnny brands and there were getting used to issues with some, but I didn't see that with Precious Cat.  If you only have one box, I would mix the new with the old...to stay on the safe side.  

As far as scooping as soon as there is a "deposit" in the box... At one time (for ONE day only), I used an empty Fresh Step plastic container to put the potty and poops in.  When removing the lid to add more...the smell was OVER-WHELMING.  I am very sensitive to smells, so maybe you won't have that problem.  

A "Litter Locker" may work better than an empty plastic litter container.  It has some pretty good reviews.  
http://www.petco.com/product/113820/Litter-Locker-II-Cat-Litter-Disposal-System.aspx?CoreCat=MM_CatSupplies_LitterAccessories
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:17:55 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 07:39:31 AM »
I use doubled grocery store bags. I scoop into one until it starts to feel heavy then put it in my trash barrel. I  keep the dirty litter bag inside next to the litter boxes, stored in a stainless steel pot with a lid.  

Someone once mentioned they put the poop in little seal-able sandwich baggies before dropping it into the dirty litter bag, to control poop odor better, for the when you have to reopen the bag.  With four cats that would get too costly for me, but for one it might work.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:18:15 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »
Thanks. I don't have enough room in my house to really add anything. I have the litterbox in the shower so for now I think I'll hang a double grocery bag over the shower handle and tie the inside one just once so I can untie it easily. Emptying it once a day shouldn't be too smelly and I have a ton of grocery bags. Can't ever seem to throw them away. LOL
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:18:30 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »
This just popped into my head...  anyone familiar with Diaper Genie? (<-- linky)
It's a special garbage can that seals to prevent diaper odor.  I bet it could be used for litter stinkies just as effectively.
I believe I saw a price of about $35 when I googled it.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:18:46 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 02:41:27 PM »
Okay so Katie adapted to the new litter without any problems. Since she likes to watch everything I do I made a learning experience out of changing the litter.  :D  I raked the clean with my hand and let her smell my hand and all went well except...she thought I was playing so she got in and proceeded to rake the litter right out of the box!! What a character I have here!! At least she only did it the first time and all is well since.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:19:00 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »
Okay so Katie adapted to the new litter without any problems. Since she likes to watch everything I do I made a learning experience out of changing the litter.  :D  I raked the clean with my hand and let her smell my hand and all went well except...she thought I was playing so she got in and proceeded to rake the litter right out of the box!! What a character I have here!! At least she only did it the first time and all is well since.

Don't forget to send in the UPC code and your receipt to get reimbursed.  (One of these days I will remember to do that as well. lol)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:19:14 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 06:47:27 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about that and I'm glad I kept the receipt!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:19:27 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »