Author Topic: Vet's + Best Hairball Relief  (Read 11041 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Vet's + Best Hairball Relief
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 01:07:04 PM »
Hope today is better!!!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 07:23:21 AM »
Regurgitated three days since last Sunday, after going two weeks perfectly fine.  :'(

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
It's really . . . odd . . . because it seems like Mazy and Pookie are on similar schedules.  He had a hairball early Sunday morning, after a week of a fairly calm tummy.  And he's getting 2 capsules of the lecithin each day.  I plan to give him some canned pumpkin a couple of times a week to help move things along.  But lately, just about every time Pookie has a hairball or regurgitates, I'll check here and Mazy had an episode.  What, are the two of them communicating with each other?   :-\  Bumpurr1

I hope things calm down for Mazy.  grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »
I just cleaned one up this morning!  I don't know who it belonged to though.  :( 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »
Trouble with Mazy cat is she almost never brings up the fur.  By the time she starts regurgitating it is lodged down in the passageway from stomach to intestine.

But from what you say Pookie, it sounds like Pookie may have similar motility problems.  Vet is just about positive that is Mazy's issue (without subjecting her to invasive testing)

She finally pooped out the grass this afternoon.  Took EIGHT DAYS to get that grass through her.  Wait...this is the wrong thread for the grass talk.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »
Trouble with Mazy cat is she almost never brings up the fur.  By the time she starts regurgitating it is lodged down in the passageway from stomach to intestine.

But from what you say Pookie, it sounds like Pookie may have similar motility problems.  Vet is just about positive that is Mazy's issue (without subjecting her to invasive testing)

That's very possible.  He was about 5 1/2 years old by the time I learned that the dry food was causing all of the problems, and he and his sister vomited/regurgitated literally several times a day AND night for years before that.  I'd hoped the better diet would have "cured" him, but maybe it's just not possible to completely recover from issues like that.   :(

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 07:21:12 PM »
Yep, same story here. 6 years on the Hills c/d crap. The damage is done.  bangshead

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »
8 DAYS for the grass to show itself?!  WOW!!  I assume she had one heck of a stomach ache all that time? 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 06:05:36 PM »
I just don't know Lola, you know how cats are, they don't show any discomfort. Her behavior was normal in every way, including appetite, the only indication that there was trouble was the three regurgitation episodes during the 8 days, and they came on the 2nd, 5th and 7th day. This part of the discussion really should be in the Outside Dilemma thread I think.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 12:49:11 PM »
Yep, same story here. 6 years on the Hills c/d crap. The damage is done.  bangshead

grouphug Yeah, I feel like banging my head, too.  We just have to keep reminding ourselves that we did the best we could with the knowledge we had at the time, and at least we learned from it.  There are SOOOO many out there who don't/won't.   :(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »
I just don't know Lola, you know how cats are, they don't show any discomfort. Her behavior was normal in every way, including appetite, the only indication that there was trouble was the three regurgitation episodes during the 8 days, and they came on the 2nd, 5th and 7th day. This part of the discussion really should be in the Outside Dilemma thread I think.

I know you would have no idea, if she had a tummy ache or not.  Cats and their lack of communication skills... 

OKAY... I won't go OT again!  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
grouphug Yeah, I feel like banging my head, too.  We just have to keep reminding ourselves that we did the best we could with the knowledge we had at the time, and at least we learned from it.  There are SOOOO many out there who don't/won't.   :(

Yup.  But it BITES that we had to learn some things the hard way... at the expense of our furkids.
My Lucky ate kibble 7 of her 13 years.  One of these days, I hope to send Lucky's medical records to Dr. Pierson.  Her esophagus, stomach, etc. didn't get that damaged in just a few days.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »
PS

I don't think it is possible to not go OT, when discussing cats.  :)  Too much carp is related to other carp. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »
Yup.  But it BITES that we had to learn some things the hard way... at the expense of our furkids.

I know.  Hence the  bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead.  THEY shouldn't have to pay for our (vets') ignorance.  That's one of the reasons we have this forum -- to educate as many as we can, so they don't have to learn the way we did.   HeadButt  At least maybe we can make a difference for others . . .

And imagine how much worse our furkids would be if we just kept telling ourselves that all that vomiting/regurgitating/hairballs was "normal."  I'm sorry Pookie and his sister paid the price, but at least they're (hopefully) healthier than they would be if I'd just stopped looking for answers and kept feeding the carp.  Same goes for you two and your furkids.  At least they're eating healthier now.  That's HUGE.  (Hey, I'm trying to find some silver lining here . . . )

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »
I know you would have no idea, if she had a tummy ache or not.  Cats and their lack of communication skills... 

OKAY... I won't go OT again!  :)

No....I don't care about OT, it IS on topic anyway.  My problem is I am easily confused, when I come back to update a thread I often can't find it because I'v got the same stuff going in too many, so it's my fault more than anything.  LOL
As for learning...yeah it's true.  But I knew long before I took her off it that it wasn't good for her.  I took her off it and put her back on canned multiple times, but her pH always rocketed, and/or the crystals would come back by the ton, when I did.

I think now my mistake was I was adding water to her food every time I tried to put her back on canned, I think my hard well water is the real culprit there. This final time when I took her off it for good I did NOT add any water to her canned meals, and she has been okay.  Her pH is higher than what is considered "normal" for a cat but she is crystal free and symptom free so I am not worrying abut the pH.

All we can do is move forward now that we know better but it is hard not to slef blame.

And I will never stop pushing, in other forums, never!    soapboxgif

Tags: