Author Topic: Inside cats, outside  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Inside cats, outside
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:51:48 PM »
My cats are such Prima Donas they require rugs to be laid for their resting pleasure, when we are out in our Yard.

Black cat, youngest (1) and Red tabby, oldest (12)

my brown classic tabby (7)  

my brown mackerel tabby (5)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Inside cats, outside
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:55:28 PM »
Not always on the rugs though.

A matched pair :)

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:19:43 AM »
They are just beautiful!!   :)

I have never tried leashes on mine~ they are real scaredy cats and I am afraid if they ever got spooked that they could wriggle out of a harness and disappear...  Yours look so happy and relaxed! 

cat3

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:46:45 AM »
MC,
Your kitties look sooooooo content!  Do you think they are just a littttttttle spoiled with having the rugs?  lol
I've put two of ours in harnesses and let them out in the backyard.  (Supervised) In the beginning, they wouldn't walk normally...they did the Army crawl. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 12:55:47 PM »
Wish I knew how to put a picture on this thread.... My cats are taken outside with a leash on too.  I have taken Shadow out without a leash, but she tends to run, and  I dont want her going up a tree.  So not sure if I will do that too often.  Shadow will get very angry with me when I bring her in, she really loves it our there. So I have to tell her she is going in for treats, or else she will hiss like crazy, lol!  I have to take them out seperately, because Wilson is a little scaredy cat, and he goes so slow, while Shadow wants to go investigate every part of the lawn.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »
Thanks you guys.  I've been doing this a long time.  The only cat of the original trainees is The Boy. It all started back when I was really struggling to make ends meet, very long story, but I was working 70-80 hours a week.  I had very little home time to spend with my cats.  Summer came and I wanted to potter in a garden like I used to do before life got so heavy.  But if I was out in the yard, I was depriving my cats of my attention even more.

It broke my heart to be out there and to look up and see them sitting in the window watching me, so I decided to do something about it.  I bought some cheap garden fencing and posts and asked my landlord if he would put it up for me.  He agreed.At first I wasn't using harnesses.  Two of the cats were older ladies, at 11 and they had no desire to go anywhere other than the fenced area.  But The Boy was only 3 then, and he twice slipped out of a gap in the gate, taking years off my life.  (He is my seizure kitty and the thought of him going without his meds terrifies me)

So I decided that he was going to have to be harnessed. It took time to find one that fit him properly he is very long in the shoulder. I did (for him) and do (for any cats coming later) the harness training very slowly, first leaving it lying around, then draping them over the cats, then trying them on.  Back then I practiced putting the harness on and off a stuffed animal cat first, since my hands are arthritic and don't always do what they want.

I'm going to post a separate post for each cat's story so it's not one long endless post.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »
Wish I knew how to put a picture on this thread.... My cats are taken outside with a leash on too.  I have taken Shadow out without a leash, but she tends to run, and  I dont want her going up a tree.  So not sure if I will do that too often.  Shadow will get very angry with me when I bring her in, she really loves it our there. So I have to tell her she is going in for treats, or else she will hiss like crazy, lol!  I have to take them out seperately, because Wilson is a little scaredy cat, and he goes so slow, while Shadow wants to go investigate every part of the lawn.

Ask Lola to give you a section in the gallery or if you already have a section, upload your pictures to your gallery.  Then take the link from underneath the picture in the gallery and put it in your post and it will show up as a picture :)

Or  you can up load to the general gallery section of course

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
 offtopic1

Shadow,
Add a picture to your area in the Gallery here: http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?action=gallery;cat=6 After adding your picture, copy the link, and then paste the link in a post.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 01:29:02 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
The Boy
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »
The Boy was only 3 then, and he twice slipped out of a gap in the gate, taking years off my life.  (He is my seizure kitty and the thought of him going without his meds terrifies me)

So I decided that he was going to have to be harnessed. It took time to find one that fit him properly he is very long in the shoulder. I did (for him) and do (for any cats coming later) the harness training very slowly, first leaving it lying around, then draping them over the cats, then trying them on.  Back then I practiced putting the harness on and off a stuffed animal cat first, since my hands are arthritic and don't always do what they want.

It took The Boy a long time to adjust to the harness and dragging string, he really hated it, but, even though I felt I was spoiling his outside time fun, I was determined. He would hardly walk around with it on out in the yard at all.  It's been 9 years and he still has trouble with it, but he doens't protest or just lie around sullenly any more, he's accepted it.

He'll do anything to be able to enjoy his Cat Nip Fort :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 01:33:53 PM »
Of the three cats since then:  My FLUTD girl adjusted almost instantly.  When she came I did the harness lying about bit first.  The first time I put it on her, I put The Boy's on first.  She watched closely.  I then put hers on and she went berserk, tearing around the house.  By the time I caught up with her she was in the tub with it half off, and her hind leg caught in it.  I took it off her, and brought the other cats out.  She sat in the window and watched. I kept them out for an hour then brought them in.  Later on the same day I tried again.  I put the harness on The Boy while she watched.  I picked up her harness and she came to me and submitted to having it put on, and came outside with the rest of us.  She made the connection that quickly, I was so proud of her.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »
The next girl who showed up (the mackerel tabby girl) had been managing on her own outside for a long time.  I had a harness for her and did the inside preliminary work, but for months she had no interest in going outside at all.  She might watch from the window, but did not want to join us for a long time.  I did put her harness on though.  Finally one day she indicated she wanted to come out with us.  She was SO FUNNY.   She would walk like she had a fifty pound weight on her back.

After a while she started forgetting about her burden as she went about her business in the yard, but if she saw me looking at her, suddenly she would be plodding with her back slung low again, it was just hilarious.  She's fine now though.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
The kitten took to harness with no trouble.  She did not have free run of the yard until this spring, but last fall I started putting her harness on her, and bringing her out, keeping her in her Castle. Since she didn't know any different, she was fine with this.  I worried about her because kittens are so fast and I am much slower than I used to be, and I didn't know how she would react.

I figured she would associate outside with walls and roof first, so to keep her from getting the idea that she could jump the fence.  This seems to have worked.  Her first "free run" outside experiences were in winter.

I still bring her in and out in a carrier, then release her. The other cats go through the door, and do not door dash at other times.  Again, I wasn't sure about The Baby, so I just kept her in the habit of being carried in and out.  She has never walked through the outside door on her own. After she gets her harness on she walks right into the carrier.  This was her set up last fall.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
Love, Love, LOVE the pictures! 

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
When you have a minute...add those pictures (with explanations) to your Gallery...if you want.  I hate to see them get "lost" in here.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
Thanks Lola, glad you like them.

They are in my gallery.  I didn't think there was any other way to post pics here, besides putting them in the gallery first, time consuming, but worth it. :)

Tags:

'Hare