Author Topic: Is bird feeder causing anxiety?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
Is bird feeder causing anxiety?
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
I have a hummingbird feeder outside the window where Katie has a bed. She seems obsessed with it and I'm wondering if it could be causing her anxiety. She's a new kitty from the pound where she was caged for 10 months and I don't want her to be unnecessarily stressed.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: Is bird feeder causing anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »
I think it is a GOOOOOD thing.  Bird feeder = CatTV
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »
I thought so too but she doesn't want to do anything but watch the birdies and chatter at them. Too much TV isn't good for anyone. hehe Maybe she'll get bored with it after awhile or I COULD just close the blinds and be a mean mommy.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:02:09 PM »
I thought so too but she doesn't want to do anything but watch the birdies and chatter at them. Too much TV isn't good for anyone. hehe Maybe she'll get bored with it after awhile or I COULD just close the blinds and be a mean mommy.

The bird, around us, only hang out in the mornings.  When the birds go...it is nap time here. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »
You know KaM, she's probably just never seen birds before, and her hunting instinct is kicking in for the first time ever! After she's had some time chattering at the hummingbirds, you might try distracting her by engaging her in a stalk and pounce Game such as Catch The Bump Under the Rug.  

I, too, have Cat TV, I put seed on a windowsill all year round, and have another feeder I keep filled in winter.  Sometimes they ignore the birds and other critters who come, other times they act as fascinated as if they've never seen the birds there before.

Keep us posted on this!

Tags:

'Hare