Author Topic: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)  (Read 40622 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Jennie has been diagnosed with carcinoma (cancer)
« Reply #285 on: January 18, 2019, 12:37:50 PM »
 Hug1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #286 on: January 18, 2019, 12:47:57 PM »
Home for lunch. Jennie's front paws are the same, the left (which was the fattest at 2 full inches yesterday) is just over one inch, and the right remains at 1 1/2 inches.  Her hind paws are very puffy, but I haven't measured them as she doesn't like them touched.  I don't think they hurt her, I think she just doesn't like her rear paws touched. She's like that with nail trims, too.

The lump on her face was very obvious last night, and it was a hard lump, it is not there any more. Visually the right side of her face still seems a bit puffier than the left, but I can't really tell, I think it's all normal.  She has no problem with me stroking her face in any spot.

She did a little song and dance while waiting for her lunch and ate most of it before asking for enhancement. She did stop and ask for a little sprinkle of something to finish.  She can have anything she wants.

Now I must go have my mammogram and ultrasound. ha.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #287 on: January 18, 2019, 02:20:30 PM »
What a fun-filled day you are having!  Silly7

HeadButt
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #288 on: January 18, 2019, 06:26:39 PM »
No change in her feet since last post.

What a fun-filled day you are having!  Silly7

HeadButt

yeah lol

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
The lump under her right eye from last night has appeared under her left eye tonight. It wasn't there an hour ago. I have no idea if this is a 'normal' progression of lymphatic disease.  I can only trust by her behavior that she feels okay, and really, that's all that matters, right?

I have pictures, will post them over the weekend.  I have pics of her feet at their biggest too but it's hard to tell how big they are.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #290 on: January 19, 2019, 05:56:36 AM »
Left front paw appears normal. Right paw still at 1 1/2 inch. 

Right hind paw appears normal. Left hind paw still puffy.

Face bump is gone but face still looks a little puffy though I can find no bumps or swellings and she is happy to have any part of her face touched or rubbed.

Offline Woodland Girl

• Yapper
« Reply #291 on: January 19, 2019, 09:25:22 AM »
 Hug1  Hug1  Hug1

If there is an infection those ab's will take a while to kick in. You know this of course but I just wanted to draw your attention to the general trend. I could be wrong but it sounds to me as though the situation with swelling may be improving. It s definitely doesn't sound as though it is getting worse.

Sending chin rubs to Jennie, Jennie as well as hugs to you MC.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #292 on: January 19, 2019, 09:35:40 PM »
I could be wrong but it sounds to me as though the situation with swelling may be improving. It s definitely doesn't sound as though it is getting worse.

I would agree, it sounds like the swelling is getting better.

HangInThere  grouphug  HeadButt  Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #293 on: January 20, 2019, 08:19:36 AM »
Jennie's face is all normal this morning.  Her right front paw is still puffy.  Her hind paws also do seem to be a bit puffy.

Her appetite has gone off, most likely from the Orbax antibiotic.  I am still managing to coax all her meals into her but it is a lot of work and I won't be able to keep it up during the work week.  I think I am going to have to give her fluids today or maybe tomorrow.  I don't like to give them with those swellings still in her feet.

She still needs help softening her stool.  I am afraid to give her the miralax.  I gave her mineral oil in the middle of the night so it wouldn't interfere with any of her medications.  This helped her pass some stool that was soft, but it was small and bloody. More blood than I've seen in a long time.

I can tell she doesn't feel good, and I am pretty sure it's the antibiotic, she's had 3 doses now.  Only 4 more to go.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2019, 08:05:46 AM »
Jennie's paws appear to be all back to normal. No more bumps or swellings on her face.

I've written to the vet this morning to ask about getting the lactulose powder from Wedgewood pharmacy, where I get Jennie's piroxicam. I told her I am afraid to use the miralax again, and have been using mineral oil (she doesn't want me to use it but I have t use something)

She went more than 24 hours without passing any stool, though she did sit in the litter box a few times, which really was worrying me until finally this morning she had a "normal" sized formed poop.  Firm outside runny in the middle, no discernible blood!

So I am relieved the mineral oil is helping, but getting up in the middle of the night to dose it isn't much fun (she takes it in food)

On weekends I can fit in a dose during the day too, but I won't be able to manage that during the work week, so, again, we need the lactulose.

Still needs coaxing and enhancements to eat. I am using pork pancreas glandular powder, egg yolk lecithin, Whole Life freeze dried chicken breast and Forti Flora in rotation for enhancements. The forti flora is a last resort.

Today was supposed to be her follow up blood work, but of course because of the emergency last Thursday she now goes back on Thursday instead.  I am glad because it is minus 7 F  (wind chill minus 21) I would hate to have to take her out.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »
Here's another new thing.  Jennie got very upset with nail trim time.  It's not because of the puffy paw thing (which by the way, I think the right front paw and the left hind foot, are still a tiny bit puffy) because it started the last time I trimmed, a couple of weeks ago.

Usually she sits docilely in my arms, purring as she anticipates the treats after, though she does turn her head and look away as if she can't bear to watch.

But the last two times (including today) she fusses, pulls away and meows loudly and grumble/growls as if I am hurting her.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #296 on: January 21, 2019, 06:35:33 PM »
Jennie's powdered lactulose has been ordered.

By the way vet called tonight.  She said if I become concerned about Jennie's appetite to skip a dose of the antibiotic, go 36 hours instead of 24. I might try that tomorrow, but that means I would have to reschedule her appointment to redo the blood work. Which would be fine with me.

She also feels that based on my descriptions of Jennie's edema/swellings that she is sure this is to do with her lymphatic system, not the miralax. The coming and going of it is typical of lymphatic issues.  My sister said that too.  However I am STILL afraid to give her any more miralax.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #297 on: January 21, 2019, 09:48:27 PM »
 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2019, 06:24:09 AM »
Having a cat who WANTS to eat but can't is absolutely soul destroying.

I got out the baby food this morning. Beechnut chicken and broth. Nothing else in it.  She ate some.

I'm going to skip her antibiotic tonight.

I do have appetite stimulant but I don't want to use it when I'm not here to keep an eye on her reactions. Maybe tonight. She will also have to ahve fluids, to protect her kidneys since she isn't getting enough liquid when not eating.

Offline Woodland Girl

• Yapper
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2019, 10:46:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure that you will have already considered every technique possible to entice Jennie to eat but , in case you haven't . . . .I used to be able to entice Eric to eat by placing morsels of food , one at a time, under his nose . It would take hours but at least he ate something.

Sending huge hugs, and much love.

Tags: