Author Topic: Vacuum recommendations?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Vacuum recommendations?
« on: August 08, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »
Long story short, I'm seriously considering getting a canister vac.  The upright just kills my neck/shoulder because I have to move the whole machine, and my fantasy of getting rid of all the carpet is over.  Since carpet deadens the noise from my neighbors (I share walls) and I hear enough as it is, the carpet stays, which means I'm looking for a vacuum that doesn't kill me.

I'm also not looking to spend $400+ on a Dyson, so it needs to be reasonably priced, say $250 or less.  And obviously, it needs to do a decent job picking up cat hair.

Any suggestions?  (P.S.  I'm not an "online" shopper, so amazon, etc. is out).

Thanks, all!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Vacuum recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
The only vacuum I absolutely LOVED was a Rainbow.  It did it all...and more.  Even skeptics were convinced when they saw it in action in THEIR home.  (When I get "on" something...I tend to be anal.  lol)  
I had it serviced twice and replaced no major parts.  It worked like a charm still ...after 20+ years.  However, it had a power head with a beater bar...not so good on tile.  I could have used a long wide brush-like thingie on tile...but I forgot about it...and gave the vacuum away when we went with all tile.  Why so many details...don't want anyone to think I got rid of it because I didn't like it, or because it broke.  :)
Anyway...it was over a $1000 bucks mannnnnnny years ago.  I think it is a safe bet that it hasn't gotten cheaper over the years.  However, the price may be worth it, considering how long they last and allllll the cool stuff it can do besides "just" vacuum.  Since it gets to the deeeeeeeep dirt...saves wear and tear on carpets as well.   If our carpet had been a different color (not a color from the 80's), people said they would have no idea it was as old as it was.  
So, you aren't sold on a Rainbow... Bumpurr1
What is under your carpet?  Wood?  Cement?  There are options for inexpensive things a person can do to their flooring that doesn't involve replacing carpet, tile, or wood.  I've seen people paint (special cement paint) their cement floors and it looked realllllly nice.  
We went to all tile a few years ago.  Even in the bedrooms.  I was afraid I would regret it.  I don't.  I will NEVER have carpet again.  We made a few "remodeling errors," but going with all tile wasn't one of them.

/rambling  

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:20:39 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »
This Kenmore looks to be a decent one in the more reasonable price range, which you may wish to look into further  :)    http://www.mysears.com/Kenmore-Progressive-Canister-Vacuum-with-Telescopic-Wand-Blue-Moon-White--384701-reviews

Here are some reviews w/ pros and cons: http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Kenmore_25614_25615_Progressive_Vacuum

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
I just bought a vacuume....when I went to vacuume stores everyone of them said that those Dysons, and bagless ones were no good, hmmm :-\  I agree with CC a kenmore canister is probably your best bet, but they  are pricey $$
I ended up getting one at London Drugs (upright bagless) it was cheap and it works really well.  If it dies then no biggie it wasnt to much money.  I have had it for a few months now. Its a Hoover windtunnel.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
I used to clean houses for my $$... started when I was 14 (although mom had me cleaning house by age 8 - vacuuming & bathrooms).

I cleaned houses all through high school and college, and even had my own little company (3 employees) for a while.  I quit at the ripe ol' age of 34.  That's 20 years of housecleaning, for those of you keeping track.

All my home decisions are based on my experiences dealing with other people's houses, cleaners, and equipment.

I LOATH bagless tunnel vac's.   catsterpuke  
I don't care how much my friends rave about their Dysons and Windtunnels, I will take a bag vacuum over them any day of the week.  
I also generally prefer uprights over canisters.  Although, the lower profile of a canister vac is nice for getting under furniture.

I used to have an old Kirby back in the day.  Loved it 'till it finally went to vacuum heaven.
When I had to go shopping for a new vac, it was quite the adventure.  Especially since I was on a very tight budget.
I ended up going with a Simplicity upright, with "onboard tools".  It has served me well for the last 13 years.   coolgif2
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:13:02 PM by FurMonster Mom »
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:48:32 AM »
Thanks, All.

I have 2 uprights:  1 is a Dyson-wannabe by Sears, which has led me to agree with FurMonster Mom about bagless vacs.  Cleaning the filter is a PAIN and frankly, I didn't notice it cleaning any better than any other vacuum.  My other is an Oreck but it doesn't have attachments.  It's a good machine, but the problem is that my shoulder and neck really suffer when I vacuum because I'm pushing the entire machine.  That's why I'm looking at a canister.  It's a lot easier to just move the wand with the little do-hicky on the end (yes, that's a technical term  :D).

Believe me, I'd LOVE to get rid of the carpet.  My dream was to get laminate and then I could just swiffer the floors.  But while I have neighbors who just don't care that they share walls with other people, and continue to make a lot of noise (sometimes it sounds like a stampede, and sometimes they sound like they're actually IN my home), I'm keeping the carpet because it helps to deaden the sound.  And if what I'm hearing is "deadened" then I shudder to imagine what it would be like without the carpet.

My mom has a Kenmore canister, too, so maybe it's a sign.  Thanks for your help!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:34:52 AM »
I've used vacuums with the filters and no bags.  Wasn't impressed.  
The thing I don't care for with vacuums with bags, is a lot of the dirt "blows" back into the air.  Shine a VERY bright light behind a bag vacuum (while in use) and you may just be surprised at what is going back into the air.  If you don't mind dusting or have allergy issues...may not be a big deal.  AND...Maybe newer models are better these days.  ??
Pookie,
I can definitely understand the noise being an issue.  My home is VERY loud... having all tile and next to no soft materials on the windows, floors, etc.  It was a shocker at first, but we are used to it now.  But....we can control our noise.  No common walls with neighbors.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 01:54:55 PM »
The thing I don't care for with vacuums with bags, is a lot of the dirt "blows" back into the air.  Shine a VERY bright light behind a bag vacuum (while in use) and you may just be surprised at what is going back into the air.  If you don't mind dusting or have allergy issues...may not be a big deal.  AND...Maybe newer models are better these days.  ??

I do understand what you mean here. 
It depends on the brand and model, and how/where their filtration system is implemented.
The Simplicity 700 series boasts an extensive filtering system, including a HEPA and electrostatic filter.
I have used other (low-mid grade) bag vacs that also boast HEPA filters, but the way the filters are set up seems to lessen their effectiveness.

In the end, it really depends on the individual's needs and priorities.  There are plenty of options out there.   thumbsup1
For me, 13 years ago I thought $350 was a lot of dough to drop on a vac. (more than I intended to spend), but I have been pleasantly surprised at the Simplicity's performance.

BTW, I do not generally recommend Kirby.  Waaaaay back in the day, they were "top of the line", and the one I had was literally handed down from my grandmother.  But they have not really changed their machine much over the decades, and their sales tactics are questionable.   :-X
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags: