Author Topic: Have any of you ever heard of THIS?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Have any of you ever heard of THIS?
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
OMG! I'm sitting here reeling in my chair after seeing this tweet:

K9 Emergency Question!! #DogHealth http://www.petforums.com/f11/k9-emergency-question-2931/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Have any of you ever heard of THIS?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:41:48 PM »
I get a yellow warning from my antivirus when I click on the link.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:47:49 PM »
I tried to go directly to the site (petforums.com) and got the same warning.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:13:03 PM »
It's not giving me a warning, so I'll copy the post:

K9 Emergency Question!!
My friend has a deaf 11 year old jack russell terrier and was recently convinced by his vet to undergo a "k9 disarming procedure" as an alternative to euthanasia. (the recently dog bit a child but it was startled after being fallen on and the reaction was in no way intentional. his wife demanded he get rid of the animal and because the dog has a "bite history" now, the shelter wont take it and his only other option is euthanasia) The oral surgery requires a 500 dollar non refundable deposit and will cost 4k in total. It will extract and remove all of the dogs teeth except for two back molars. I feel like this is going to ruin the dogs quality of life and he is not being told of the risk by the vet. Im not a vet but something isnt sitting right about the suggestion and planned surgery next week. I feel really bad for the dog and worry that my friend is making a mistake and grossly misinformed. If its as terrible an idea for the dog as i suspect, i want to relay this to him but im lost on any info relating to it.

Is this a prudent recommendation by the vet? Is this dangerous for the dog?

There are several answers to it, but all to the same conclusion as me. NOT a good idea for any number of reasons.

Hopefully someone will take the pet since she wanted it gone anyway. Luckily I don't belong to the forum, so can't post. I just saw the tweet with the site in it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 06:34:16 AM »
My gosh.  What will humans think of next, to do to animals.  Sickening.  Cats with stomatitis often have full mouth extractions and they do okay, but that is a necessary medical procedure to relive pain. This is just.... disgusting.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 10:29:45 AM »
One of the comments said they'd heard of "filing down a dog's teeth" to prevent biting injuries (at least they went into the pain that goes on with it when telling about it), but never heard pulling all their teeth.

I'm sorry, but I think that any vet and caretaker, that would do anything like this that's not medically necessary, is just plain, ol' evil.

Reminds me of Julius Caesar by Shakespeare:

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones"

I truly have a hard time believing that MANY people here on earth have any good at all to take with them. Especially vets that would actually recommend something like this.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
Lemme get this straight...

11 year old dog is deaf, so cannot hear the child in his vicinity
child falls on deaf dog, scaring the crap out of it
dog bites child out of (literally) blind fear

Sooo... instead of teaching the child to be more careful around the dog because it is old and deaf, the solution is to punish the dog by pulling all its teeth?!! 

wow
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »

Sooo... instead of teaching the child to be more careful around the dog because it is old and deaf, the solution is to punish the dog by pulling all its teeth?!! 

wow

I think you nailed it, and I'll second your opinion.  wow1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
and was recently convinced by his vet to undergo a "k9 disarming procedure" as an alternative to euthanasia.

That's the part that got me the most. "...convinced by his vet..."

I swear to you, some things should be grounds for malpractice in veterinary medicine!!! As in losing-their-license malpractice!

But that's just an animal. Right? *smh*

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 12:09:25 AM »

wow

Lazy parents.  Azzhole vet. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »
OMG! I was told that this procedure is done on cats TOO!

‏@AskTheCatDoctor Unfortunately they've done this to both dogs and cats for years.

OMG, OMG, OMG!

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »
Just when I thought declawing was bad enough, humanity gives me another reason to hate it.
Brandon

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 10:51:07 PM »
Just when I thought declawing was bad enough, humanity gives me another reason to hate it.

The more I ask about this, the more common I'm finding it to be. Some kind of backroom, dirty BIG secret! This is depressing.

From Sarah Wilson of a lot of TV & books:  http://sarahwilsondogexpert.com/

‏@SarahDogExpert Oh, this has been done for years - as long as I have been training, I've heard of it, so 25+ yrs. Not a fan.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 12:39:11 AM »
I did hear of it years ago... but can't remember what the circumstances were, that I was reading about it.  It goes on the list with declawing and debarking.   censored
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: