Author Topic: Iams And Veterinary Students  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Iams And Veterinary Students
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
After lunch the first Iams pet food shipment of the school year came in. Iams allows veterinary students to take an online quiz about pet nutrition every month and then lets us select free food from the company.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Iams And Veterinary Students
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 02:13:12 PM »

I... could say things about early indoctrination and how many other "institutions" have engaged in it throughout history...
But unfortunately, many people find my views on the subject somewhat objectionable.   :-X

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
I... could say things about early indoctrination and how many other "institutions" have engaged in it throughout history...
But unfortunately, many people find my views on the subject somewhat objectionable.   :-X

Say what you want! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:04:02 AM »

Not me!!! i would not object!!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »
Oooooookkkaaaaayyyyy....
I will try to express this as broadly as I can.

Early indoctrination...

Let’s start out with a couple definitions from Webster’s online:
•   Doctrine
    1.   something that is taught
    2.   a principle or position or the body of principles in a branch of knowledge or system of belief : dogma
    3.   a principle of law established through past decisions
    4.   a statement of fundamental government policy especially in international relations
•   Indoctrinate:
    1.   to instruct especially in fundamentals or rudiments : teach
    2.   to imbue with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle

Teaching young minds a partisan set of principals is nothing new.  Early indoctrination is a form of social control (and power).
Hitler did it
The Russian Communists did it
The Chinese Communists did it (and still do)
The Romans and Greeks did it
Militaries do it
Terrorists do it
Heck, even our American politicians do it (Young Republican movement, anyone?)
AND… (and this is usually where I lose folks) religions have done it for centuries, and continue to do so to this day (there are no exceptions here).

Indoctrination is most effective with young minds because they are open and impressionable, and the teachings have a higher chance to persist over time.  Why? because with time, we get stubborn about changing, so we are less likely to cast off our early learning experiences for new ones.

Also, our society tends to engage in a paradoxical practice when it comes to education.  We tell our young students to ask questions and encourage inquisitiveness.  But on the other hand, we don’t like it when the answers we provide are challenged.  Basically, we encourage “open mindedness”, but we squash critical thinking.

A few people will question.  A few will change their minds.  A few.   But by then, the indoctrination has already begun with the next (4 year) generation.  This is why we are still fighting social indoctrinations regarding race, gender, religion and lifestyles.  Because until the few become a larger minority, with a larger voice, the indoctrinations will be perpetual.

So… until the minority of vets who have cast off the conventional wisdoms... they who have donned their critical thinking caps… Until they band together and start teaching younger generations how to do the same, the Pet Food Companies’ indoctrinations will prevail.

(whew!)

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »
Oooooookkkaaaaayyyyy....

Early indoctrination...

•   Doctrine
    1.   something that is taught
    2.   a principle or position or the body of principles in a branch of knowledge or system of belief : dogma
    3.   a principle of law established through past decisions
    4.   a statement of fundamental government policy especially in international relations
•   Indoctrinate:
    1.   to instruct especially in fundamentals or rudiments : teach
    2.   to imbue with a usually partisan or sectarian opinion, point of view, or principle

Teaching young minds a partisan set of principals is nothing new.  Early indoctrination is a form of social control (and power).
Hitler did it
The Russian Communists did it
The Chinese Communists did it (and still do)
The Romans and Greeks did it
Militaries do it
Terrorists do it
Heck, even our American politicians do it (Young Republican movement, anyone?)
AND… (and this is usually where I lose folks) religions have done it for centuries, and continue to do so to this day (there are no exceptions here).

Indoctrination is most effective with young minds because they are open and impressionable, and the teachings have a higher chance to persist over time.  Why? because with time, we get stubborn about changing, so we are less likely to cast off our early learning experiences for new ones.

Also, our society tends to engage in a paradoxical practice when it comes to education.  We tell our young students to ask questions and encourage inquisitiveness.  But on the other hand, we don’t like it when the answers we provide are challenged.  Basically, we encourage “open mindedness”, but we squash critical thinking.

A few people will question.  A few will change their minds.  A few.   But by then, the indoctrination has already begun with the next (4 year) generation.  This is why we are still fighting social indoctrinations regarding race, gender, religion and lifestyles.  Because until the few become a larger minority, with a larger voice, the indoctrinations will be perpetual.

So… until the minority of vets who have cast off the conventional wisdoms... they who have donned their critical thinking caps… Until they band together and start teaching younger generations how to do the same, the Pet Food Companies’ indoctrinations will prevail.

(whew!)

totally agree with this!!! thumbsup1  but I wont even begin to go on how I feel about a lack of critical thinking ;)
not really the forum for this.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 05:44:42 PM »
Oooooookkkaaaaayyyyy....

Early indoctrination...

• Doctrine ...

....So… until the minority of vets who have cast off the conventional wisdoms... they who have donned their critical thinking caps… Until they band together and start teaching younger generations how to do the same, the Pet Food Companies’ indoctrinations will prevail.
(whew!)

clapping1   agreegif  Well said.

All comes down to (funding) $$$$ & unfortunately (like allll the rest) this will trump all.   Has gotten to the point of no return; Having everything handed to people and done for them is sooooo much easier than shifting brain cells into first gear. $$$ will "cover" all the warts, make everything go away. And the majority will merely follow, like sheep.  :(

totally agree with this!!! thumbsup1  but I wont even begin to go on how I feel about a lack of critical thinking ;)
not really the forum for this.

thumbsup1

Psssst:  ;) http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?board=1.0   ;)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 07:02:31 PM »

Tags: