Author Topic: First Raw (Chicken) Meal Has Been Served  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
First Raw (Chicken) Meal Has Been Served
« on: August 12, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
Mixed up my first batch of ground chicken/bones/organs from Hare Today - Gone Tomorrow 
UPDATE:  I now mix in a glass bowl. 

It was simple enough...even for me!

Measured out the required amount (scoop included :) ) of Alnutrin.  Added water and mixed. 
UPDATE:  No longer using the scoop included.  I weigh the required amount... according to the directions on the Alnutrin website. 

Mixed supplement mixture into the raw chicken. 

I then "assembled" meal size proportions into extreme freezer containers. They can be washed and reused.  Oh, and BPA free also.
UPDATE:  I will be changing to glass containers.

One container was refrigerated for today's meal.  Another was refrigerated for tomorrows meal.  The rest were put into the freezer. 

Done!

The hard part was keeping some of the cats, from trying to sample.   :D  I did end up giving samples to the beggars.  Arrows, Jenkins, and Lilly were THRILLED.  Lola and Roxy... no thanks.  Lucy was napping.

Notes:

The Alnutrin directions state to add 1 to 2 cups of water, BUT can be adjusted.  I didn't add much water because...I wanted the texture to be as close to pate as possible.  The Pate style foods are what ALL the cats like.  The less change.. the more likely the majority would accept the raw.  Hopefully, I made a wise decision.
UPDATE:  I now add the full 2 cups of water.  Obviously it is more "soupy," but the cats/dog are fine with it.  And I feel better with the furkids getting more moisture. 

I would describe the non-course ground (that is what I purchased) as mush.. or pate.  ;)  Seriously, I can't imagine how much mushier it would have been, if I had added 2 cups of water. 

When lunch time arrived... The bowls of Arrows, Jenkins, and Lilly contained only raw.  They LOVED it!  Lucy, Lola, and Roxy each got a teaspoon of raw, served touching their wet food.  Lucy and Lola did eat the raw, but saved it for last.  Roxy... passed on it completely. 
I KNEW, if any of them were going to give me "trouble," it was going to be Roxy.  lol  I'll add some Vets Best, as a topper, to hers next time.  Or I will continue to put a teaspoon of raw down, until she gets used to seeing it... and gives it a try.  She has always been very slow to accept ANY change.  Gotta have one, to keep a person on their toes!  I love her.  She's a stinker. 

Of all our cats (including Roxy), Jenkins was the MOST difficult to transition from kibble krap to wet.  Going from wet to raw... he was beside himself with happiness. 

The food states that it is for cats and dogs.  The supplement states for cats only.  I will have to check into why that is.  Soooooo, Lacy dog didn't get a full meal of raw... she got a sampling though.  Again... hope that was a wise decision. 
UPDATE:  I emailed Alnutrin concerning the "for cats only" wording.  For cats only = not for human consumption.   Silly7

I only mixed up a 5 pound batch today, because I wasn't sure how well it would be received right away.  I don't want any waste.  And my future frozen meal portions will depend on who is willing to eat how much, and Lacy dog. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:52:34 PM by Lola, Reason: Updated info »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: First Raw (Chicken) Meal Has Been Served
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »
bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »
UPDATE:

Roxy ate her teaspoon, of raw, today. 
I also increased the amount for Lucy and Lola.  They both ate theirs as well.  YAHOOOOOOOOO!

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:52:12 PM »
Is it still going werll?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
We started having issues with some not wanting to eat canned.  Soooo, every meal is half canned and half raw.  I don't think I can cut out canned entirely (due to circumstances that MAY happen), but I would like to cut it out quite a bit more. 
Vet's Best worked WONDERS, for bringing Roxy around.  :) 
I haven't mastered feeding 7, and video taping at the same time... but you should see what meal time is like here.  Roxy "screaming" at the top of her lungs.  Jenkins doing his 3 spins.  Arrows does a run around the dining room table. This is something new.  Lacy dog barking.  BUT I got her trained to use her "inside voice."  It is a muffled bark... screaming funny.  Lola and Lucy mew, but they wait at the end of the line.  They always have.  What makes that unusual is... they are the two LEAST patient... normally.  They are probably thinking I am saving the best for last... so they are okay with it.   Silly7
I really expected someone would have some sort of issue... spit up, loose/firm stool, etc.  NOPE!  I'm guessing the real raw chunks and S&C maybe already "conditioned" their tummies? 
There are some brands of canned food and dehydrated raw that they like better than others.  But this...  they ALL "inhale" it.  As dorky as it may sound... I am beyond THRILLED.  BanWooHoo
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:45:53 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »
I mixed up a 5 pound batch today.  While my back was turned... 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 02:07:44 PM »
Mom, can I lick the spoon?!

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »
I am so thrilled for you, and LOVE the meal time descriptions!

I too will always keep some canned in the daily rotation, and also wish I could do a little more raw than canned.  but..until I have room for a real deep freeze and can order and store Hare Today, I have to stick to what's working for us now. 

Some day.....

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »
That is great Lola. I have a few questions, what is Vets Best?
and about how much is the Hare today? I cant get this brand, but I would like to compare.
Are you having any poopy issues?
Thought I would share a pic of me down at Petapalooza talking to the Owner of Growlies...dont you just love his shirt!!!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 04:30:46 PM »
I use (when needed) Vets Best Hairball as a food topper, when introducing a new brand, protein, and/or texture of food.     
It also worked to transition from dry to wet.  I crush a tablet and sprinkle a little on top of the food. 
IMHO Vet's Best is a MUCH better option, than Fortiflora.  It isn't made by Purina.  :)  It has MUCH better ingredients.  Works just as well, if not better.   

www.hare-today.com offers a lot of different products at different price levels.  Your best bet would be to go to their website, click on the kind of raw (whole, ground, etc.) that interests you...and then click on the protein (rabbit, chicken, turkey, etc) that interests you. 

No, we had no poop issues.  No issues of ANY kind.  Out of 7, I expected at least ONE to have some kind of issue.  Not a one!  Since ours already ate raw hearts and gizzards, as snacks, and were also being fed Stella And Chewys dehydrated raw... we went full speed ahead! 

That is sooooo cool you met Neil, in person!!!!  He is awesome.  I would like to drive all my furkids to Dr. Pierson for a check-up, and then on to Canada to load up on raw from Growlies.  If only...   

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:53:59 PM »
Ok will check it out Lola and thanks I will see if I can get the Vet's Best here.
LOL I have met him a few times, his store is just up the road from my house :)
that would be along drive eh! but worth the trip, it is beautiful here IMO ;)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
I updated my original post, concerning the amount of water added to Alnutrin and the "for cats only" info.  If anyone is interested.  :)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
This is quite late but congratulations and I hope everything is going well :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 07:05:36 PM »
Thanks, Amber. 

Tags: