Author Topic: Why Half of Cats Over 10 Have Kidney Disease  (Read 2531 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Why Half of Cats Over 10 Have Kidney Disease
« on: June 14, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »
Two Innocent Mistakes That Could Set the Stage for Kidney Disease

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2016/06/14/chronic-kidney-disease-cats.aspx

By Dr. Karen Becker

It’s estimated that over half of all pet cats over the age of 10 suffer from chronic kidney disease (CKD), which is also often referred to as chronic renal disease or chronic renal failure.

In fact, the condition is so common I try to keep it top-of-mind here at Mercola Healthy Pets so I can help cat guardians be on the lookout for signs of the disease, and take steps to prevent or effectively manage it. Continued at link. . .
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Why Half of Cats Over 10 Have Kidney Disease
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:04:15 PM »
Good article, but I think she should have stressed dry feeding more so. 

I think two HUGE culprits are dry feeding (first) and household chemicals.  A cat doesn't have to ingest/lick a household cleaners, candles, air fresheners, etc. for it to be deadly... the "fumes" often do serious damage.   

PS  Too often a cat's death will be "explained" as kidney failure... but the vet never tells the pet owner WHY the cat had kidney failure.  Example... a person's cat got severely ill after the person installed a plug in air freshener.  The pet owner suspected the air freshener and shared that info with the vet.  The vet didn't tell the person ONE TIME to remove the air freshener.  He just treated (somewhat) the cat for kidney failure.  The cat died.  The person still uses air fresheners, floor cleaners, etc... and has other cats.

There was also a situation where a cat was having severe kidney issues and the vet recommended giving the cat fluids.  Didn't say a peep about stoping the kibble.  Cat died. 
/rant
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:14:56 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »

I think two HUGE culprits are dry feeding (first) and household chemicals.  A cat doesn't have to ingest/lick a household cleaners, candles, air fresheners, etc. for it to be deadly... the "fumes" often do serious damage.   

Something that a lot of people outside of bird owners don't know:   Cooking with non-stick cookware can cause damaging fumes. It can actually kill birds. I figure it's doing the same to us and our animals if we use it no matter what species. It's just that birds are smaller and more susceptible. My oldest and I keep on telling my parents that, but they just won't listen.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:39:24 AM »
Something that a lot of people outside of bird owners don't know:   Cooking with non-stick cookware can cause damaging fumes. It can actually kill birds. I figure it's doing the same to us and our animals if we use it no matter what species. It's just that birds are smaller and more susceptible. My oldest and I keep on telling my parents that, but they just won't listen.

I've heard that about self-cleaning ovens also... can clean small birds.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: