Author Topic: Ginger for dogs?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Ginger for dogs?
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:31:33 PM »
My parents have learned that ginger really seems to help their arthritis pain.  Since the dog is 10 years old and has hip problems (he's a lab mix) which make it very hard for him to go up/down stairs, I was wondering if ginger might help him, too.  I did a quick search and it looks like ginger is safe for dogs.  Has anyone ever used ginger to help a dog's arthritis?  Does anyone have any idea how much he should be given?

Thanks in advance!   :-* :-* :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Ginger for dogs?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
http://www.ehow.com/how_7854897_give-dogs-ginger-motion-sickness.html

That site has an amount given, but I think I'd be careful with it. It does the same thing to dogs as it will to people according to this:

http://www.marvelousproducts.com/information-on-can-i-give-my-dog-questions.html

Can I give my dog ginger? Ginger is an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory and is used to treat digestive upset, nausea, gas, motion sickness, heart problems, joint inflammation due to arthritic conditions, to reduce fever, and is also effective as an anti-infective, especially against viruses. To make a ginger tea, simmer 2 slices of fresh ginger in a cup of water, add a little honey, and give small amounts before travelling and every two hours while travelling (Allegretti, 2003). Ginger can decrease blood sugar levels, and can increase absorption of all oral medications. Too much ginger may cause nausea, especially when given on an empty stomach, and can affect how well blood clots. Do not give to a dog with a gastric ulcer or pregnant dogs, since high ginger intake in humans can lead to miscarriage. Always consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any natural or herbal supplements.

In my case, the issues are making other meds stronger and causing clotting issues. That says it can do the same to dogs. I'd ask a vet first.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: