Author Topic: Raising the Bone  (Read 2016 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Raising the Bone
« on: March 11, 2016, 12:19:37 PM »

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Raising the Bone
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 01:19:41 PM »
I don't think I have ever watched a full episode of even one of his shows.  I found him to be cruel and hard to watch.  I have NO IDEA if he is or not...but something about him just never "clicked" with me. 

I was curious about the above videos, so I Googled.  I found this article:
http://www.thewrap.com/dog-whisperer-cesar-millan-investigated-for-animal-cruelty/

In that article, there is a link to download more video.  That video can be watched on YouTube:

JUST TO BE CLEAR, I am not accusing or defending Cesar.  I don't know enough about the situation, him, or his skills (or lack of) to have an INFORMED opinion. 

I am curious what the time span was for Simon being re-introduced to the pigs and being leashed to the one he attacked.  Seems everything is going tooooo fast. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 01:33:17 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 01:38:01 PM »
To further yap MY opinion....

The second video DeeDee posted..at about the 2:09 mark... them using a person and a dog to purposely set another dog off, and laughing about the situation.  That makes my stomach hurt.  I've seen one brutal dog attack in my life, and don't wish to see another.  Maybe it is just me, but I can't imagine provoking an attack on purpose and finding it funny.  I am going to go throw up...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 01:40:59 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 04:35:55 PM »
Before now, I was one of the ones that said take part of what Cesar says, and ignore the rest. I used his trick for getting Barkly to stop trying to attack the vacuum. Some of it works and is absolutely NOT cruel, but not ever again. This was just too cruel for me. I understand desensitization training, but it's something that takes time. Not one afternoon. Usually about a year IF it ever works at all.

No matter what anyone thinks, Boston Terriers are a bully breed--even when they're obviously some kind of mix. They're part bulldog. They have the same urges that other bulldog breeds have. Some of them just end up with a lot of that old working type personality. It's not as often anymore, most of it has been bred out, but it still happens. They came from a white terrier being mixed with a bulldog then had some Frenchie added in later.

There's a reason they're not in the terrier group in dog shows. The intention of the breed, as a good companion NOW, still doesn't rule out the breeds that went into its making. They're thrown into Non-Sporting group in the US and the Utility group in the UK because no one knows exactly where to class something that was originally bred to catch vermin like a terrier and do some fighting on the side too. Within these groups are dog breeds that were bred for a specific function not included in the sporting and working categories.

Yep. Cesar just lost me completely. Like I said in the past, you can't always take EVERY bit of a trainer's advice and expect it to work on EVERY dog. But I'll never take any of Cesar's advice at all ever again b/c I won't be watching any of his shows at all since that would mean that I'd be one of the ones contributing to his success to remain on TV.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 09:51:16 PM »
I'm not going to watch the videos, but I do want to say that I've seen pieces of his shows and, like Lola, something about him just didn't click with me, either.  I thought it was just me and am glad to know others feel the same way.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 06:10:21 PM »
I keep meaning to add:  there's a show on Saturday mornings called "Lucky Dog," about an animal trainer in California who, on the side, will rescue dogs from shelters, train them, and find a forever home for them.  They show his training techniques, and I don't ever think I've seen him do anything that seemed . . . off or disturbing to me.  Sadly, one of the show's sponsors is Banfield, but that aside, it's a nice show and informative.  I like his methods and personality more than Cesar's.  Just MHO.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 09:29:28 PM »
Brandon McMillan is the Lucky Dog trainer. I like most of him, but just like Cesar, there are parts that I take and parts that I leave.  I never completely agree with ALL that any trainer does--not even Victoria Stillwell, and I believe in her methods most. I've just never been one to give blind faith in any human, and I think things through as to how they'd pertain to my particular dogs and their personalities.

Tags: