Author Topic: The Behavior You Don't Want to Discourage, No Matter How Bad It Gets  (Read 1648 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Growling. The Behavior You Don't Want to Discourage, No Matter How Bad It Gets.

Yes. Some of my dogs have growled at me before. Even after years of training. Daddy always told me that it's just another form of their language and not stopping what you're doing is a good way to get bitten, but it's going to be your fault because you were warned. My first thought is, "What am I doing that he doesn't like?" Then I try to make sure I never put that dog in the same situation again.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2016/06/06/dog-growling.aspx

By Dr. Becker

When your dog growls, your first reaction may be to try and stop it. You may even yell at your dog or punish him for growling at you. This may stop the growl, but unfortunately may lead to greater problems in the future.

Why? Because when your dog growls, he's trying to tell you something — usually that he's uncomfortable or afraid. Growling is not only acceptable; it's a desirable form of communication. Your dog is giving you a warning to back off or to tell you that he needs to be removed from the situation.

If punished enough times for growling, your dog will learn not to growl and then may not give any indication when situations are stressing him out. The end result may be that he suddenly bites someone without warning because, after all, he's been taught not to give one.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The Behavior You Don't Want to Discourage, No Matter How Bad It Gets
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 07:09:58 PM »
Your father knows dogs well doesn't he? 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: The Behavior You Don't Want to Discourage, No Matter How Bad It Gets
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 07:28:17 PM »
Yep. He did. I grew up with German Shepherds.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: