Author Topic: Someone Has A Problem...  (Read 7710 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Someone Has A Problem...
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 05:47:21 AM »
Wow, Jenkins got on your husband's lap to be with Lilly. That is HUGE!

Most people I know who use probiotics for cats recommend the Natural Factor as the one to use for general all around probiotic coverage.

I used to have a very good cheat sheet with probiotic info that I got from the IBD group, but it was on my crashed computer.  I'll have to find it again. That may take a day or two

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »
 wow1  Jenkins got on a *gasp* human's lap!?!?  Are you sure it was Jenkins and not a twin of his?   Silly7

I'm glad Lilly is doing better!  The only other probiotic I know of was from Jarrow.  The holistic vet told me to give it to Pookie after his dental, when he was on antibiotics.  It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Jarro-Dophilus-Original-Capsules/dp/B000GJOYHU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430265399&sr=8-4&keywords=jarrodophilus+probiotics

Good job with keeping tabs on Lilly!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »
Probiotics... there just seems to be so many.  I understand picking a particular kind for a particular issue, but... was looking for "one size fits all," for my bunch.  At this point, their aren't any particular issues.
Lilly's problem was likely due to feeding duck and/or rabbit too many meals in a row.  More likely rabbit... going by previous experience.  Our normal rotation got screwed up.
Also, Alnutrin states not to use any other supplements with it.  Is a probiotic considered a supplement?   
Hubby was prettttttty excited that Jenkins got on his lap.  Even though he only did so to be near Lilly... it is still a huge accomplishment.  Jenkins may not be fond of humans too much, but it shows he does have some trust in us.  I just love that little booger! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 05:14:19 PM »
Probiotics... there just seems to be so many.  I understand picking a particular kind for a particular issue, but... was looking for "one size fits all," for my bunch.  At this point, their aren't any particular issues.
Lilly's problem was likely due to feeding duck and/or rabbit too many meals in a row.  More likely rabbit... going by previous experience.  Our normal rotation got screwed up.
Also, Alnutrin states not to use any other supplements with it.  Is a probiotic considered a supplement?   

Probiotics are considered a supplement, but I suspect Alnutrin is referring to your typical supplements like vitamins and minerals.  Probiotics should be a problem with the mix.  As for a "one-size-fits-all" . . . I personally don't think you can go wrong with plain old acidophilus.  I started adding it to Pookie's food years ago after giving him some chicken that a little past the expiration date  :-[.  He lost interest in most of his food and he got it back after adding the probiotic.  I really do think it made a difference.

I haven't looked at the others that were suggested, but just go with what makes you comfortable.   :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 05:06:29 AM »
I consider the Natural Factor double strength I linked to above as the one size fits all probiotic.

Mazy cat is the only one who gets the S boulardii.

I've read the Jarrow is bad tasting and cats are reluctant to eat food containing it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 10:36:51 AM »
The someone with the problem this past week was Vlad. No reason known why. Barkly's not sick, but of course the food was blamed by "her" at his work-in Wednesday. If something were wrong with the food, Barkly's small body would have been sick faster than Vlad. Vlad got dehydrated and then has been constipated the past 2 days--even on their bland diet of rice and cottage cheese, since I told her that I knew for a fact neither one of them would eat that canned stuff from when Barkly ate flowers. Barkly wouldn't eat it. Dannyboy wouldn't eat it, and Vlad wouldn't eat it for us after we got him. The rest of the cans went to a neighbor. A few Injections (Cerenia + Ampicillin + steroids), three bags of sub-Q fluids, and 5 days of Flagyl, and Vlad's a lot better now.

Hubs blamed it on me traumatizing him by shaving him off all over except for his head. I don't know how to do a Giant Schnauzer head or he'd look just like the other shaved BRTs. Magic thing about shaving him? He's now using his bed instead of lying on the floor ALL the time. Better for his joints. Magic thing for me? With him shaved, they're a lot easier to maintain with all that's going on with my parents.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 04:53:51 PM »
I've read the Jarrow is bad tasting and cats are reluctant to eat food containing it.

Pookie would eat it, but the problem I had was opening the capsules.  They're small compared to the egg yolk lecithin capsules, and almost half the time, they'd shatter while I was trying to pull them apart.   :(  Which then would make me worry that pieces of capsule were in his food, and they might be sharp and hurt him.  I think I only used half the bottle then finally went back to the Wholistic acidophilus.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 07:16:22 AM »
Gelatin capsules soften as soon as any dampness touches them.  When Jennie and Queen Eva have their prey model meals every other night (and every Sunday) they each get a gel cap capsule in the meal also.  Because I use egg shell calcium, I throw the capsule in for added nutrient.  Don't remember where I read that cats who get egg shell instead of bone should have gelatin too, but Rad Cat adds gelatin to their formula, so I figured there must be a good reason for it.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 07:17:26 AM »
The someone with the problem this past week was Vlad. No reason known why. Barkly's not sick, but of course the food was blamed by "her" at his work-in Wednesday. If something were wrong with the food, Barkly's small body would have been sick faster than Vlad. Vlad got dehydrated and then has been constipated the past 2 days--even on their bland diet of rice and cottage cheese, since I told her that I knew for a fact neither one of them would eat that canned stuff from when Barkly ate flowers. Barkly wouldn't eat it. Dannyboy wouldn't eat it, and Vlad wouldn't eat it for us after we got him. The rest of the cans went to a neighbor. A few Injections (Cerenia + Ampicillin + steroids), three bags of sub-Q fluids, and 5 days of Flagyl, and Vlad's a lot better now.

Hubs blamed it on me traumatizing him by shaving him off all over except for his head. I don't know how to do a Giant Schnauzer head or he'd look just like the other shaved BRTs. Magic thing about shaving him? He's now using his bed instead of lying on the floor ALL the time. Better for his joints. Magic thing for me? With him shaved, they're a lot easier to maintain with all that's going on with my parents.

Sounds like Vlad really likes his haircut. Sorry you are having something going on with your parents.  We're here to listen if you need to talk. x

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 12:42:48 PM »
Gelatin capsules soften as soon as any dampness touches them.  When Jennie and Queen Eva have their prey model meals every other night (and every Sunday) they each get a gel cap capsule in the meal also.  Because I use egg shell calcium, I throw the capsule in for added nutrient.  Don't remember where I read that cats who get egg shell instead of bone should have gelatin too, but Rad Cat adds gelatin to their formula, so I figured there must be a good reason for it.

I'm thinking the gelatin is a substitute for the cartilage that would be attached to the bone.  When you make bone broth and then refrigerate is, the fatty layer that hardens on the top of the jar is the gelatin, and I think it comes from the cartilage.  But I'm speculating a bit here.

Sorry you are having something going on with your parents.  We're here to listen if you need to talk. x

Ditto.  grouphug

Tags: