Author Topic: Evangers Grain Free Rabbit Canned (Cat Or Dog)  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Evangers Grain Free Rabbit Canned (Cat Or Dog)
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »
Thoughts?

Description:
Evangers Grain Free 100% Rabbit Canned Dog and Cat Food is made with only 1 ingredient, Rabbit! This formula should be used as a mixed/topper only and it great for pets with specific food allergies. This formula is completely Grain Free and your pet will love this great tasting meat formula!

Ingredients:
RABBIT, RABBIT BROTH

http://www.petflow.com/product/evangers/evangers-grain-free-rabbit--canned-dog-food
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Growlies

• Yapper
    • Growlies.ca
Re: Evangers Grain Free Rabbit Canned (Cat Or Dog)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »
Yeah, because it is canned it is cooked. It is also a single source protein product with no other ingredients so limited in its nutrient profile. We sell it to assist cats in moving to raw as it is more attractive to cats than raw is when initially introduced. We've never had a complaint about it.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »
First question where do they source their Rabbit from?

I really dont like their canning, some rusty cans....then a while back with some of their other foods
there was an issue with the wrong protein, or lack of in the canned food???
I see that one of our local chain stores has the whole Evangers lineup on big display, all new labels.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:27:29 AM »
First question where do they source their Rabbit from?

Not sure about their rabbit source, but Rachel Ray did a story on them:  where local buying was touted

Though they claim they haven't had a food recall since 1935 (is this the brand I saw someone say something about leaking cans in a store?), they have had rather serious FDA warnings on food not being what it is labeled as in May 2011: http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/fda-warning-letter-to-evangers-pet-food-company.html

And the company owners have been charged with stealing utilities: http://www.petsitusa.com/blog/?p=3139

Those last 2 links make me think I'm not so sure you could believe them even if you found where they say they source their rabbits. I find the FDA letter especially alarming.

Just as a side note, Evangers also has private label services http://www.evangersdogfood.com/?p=private-label so what are their steps for cleaning up after those private labels that might not use EXACTLY the same ingredients?

They DO have kosher foods though.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:35:24 AM »
I tried the rabbit as a bedtime snack for Pookie, but he didn't seem to care for it.  *sigh*  I haven't tried the Pheasant or Duck yet.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »
I haven't tried the Pheasant or Duck yet.

I just found a new link about last year's FDA warning that has me wondering even more about Evangers, but it's too late to edit my post:

http://efoodalert.net/2011/05/20/evangers-the-light-dawns/

It seems that Evanger's used a totally different product for challenging the FDA's May-2011-findings to pet parents. That's not kosher at all!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 12:41:56 AM »
Thank you all!!   HeadButt
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: