Author Topic: Tiki Cat  (Read 17989 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Tiki Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »
I bought both formulas of Tiki chicken, but have only opened one so far, the Tiki Puka Puka Luau.  I really resent having to type those stupid names. Every can is the same, nice shredded chicken in broth (not heavy gravy) but at the bottom of the can there is a blob of some soft substance that both looks and smells like tuna fish. The food is doing the job I bought it for, which was to help TC lose weight, then keep it off while feeding her a little more (she is only getting 3.3 oz a day of canned and raw combined)

But I resent paying so much for a food that really isn't any more superior than any other 'high end' food.  It's all a gimmick, just like all the others.

It will be interesting to see if the other chicken formula also contains a blob of fish in it. Obviously they do that to make it cheaper to manufacture. Fish is not on the label though, so they are breaking truth in labeling laws.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 03:29:18 PM »
Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Sunflower Seed Oil, Fish Oil. Show Vitamins & Minerals

That sunflower seed oil could have been hydrogenated and became a solid. It might have combined w/the fish oil for the smell that came from the glob of whatever. They might use the hydrogenated form to make the "sauce" thicker.

Whenever I see a vegetable/plant oil listed in a food, I never assume it was put in in the liquid form. I always think, "I wonder if it was the hydrogenated form?"

http://wellnessmama.com/2193/why-you-should-never-eat-vegetable-oil-or-margarine/

Edit: Think "shortening" when you think of hydrogenated. And we all know now this stuff isn't good for us to cook with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:36:05 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
HMMMM, thanks Dee!  Your  thoughts only confirm my suspicion that this food is way over priced and way over rated. I never liked the sunflower oil in it in the first place.  But the zero carbs and low fat are helping TC lose and maintain a healthy weight, so I feel kind of....stuck..with it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
But the zero carbs and low fat are helping TC lose and maintain a healthy weight, so I feel kind of....stuck..with it.

I know it's dog food, but I tried this canned with Barkly when he was alone after we lost Dannyboy (ended up giving it to the neighbor b/c was just another canned experiment with a refusal to eat it), but I don't think there are any gums or anything else in it--just a bunch of minerals & vitamins listed as added:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Newmans-Own-Organics-Grain-Free-Canned-Dog-Food/144064.aspx

You'd have to do more research, but I think their beef is free-range from Uruguay. I'm not sure if that would work with that amount in fat though. It's 4.5% when the tiki is 2.0%. There's no taurine in it listed either. :-( But might not hurt occasionally.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:43:24 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »
OT-ish

Thanks for that link, DeeDee.  I noticed they sell food by the can, and not just the case.  I know some people that will help a LOT! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 05:48:43 PM »
HMMMM, thanks Dee!  Your  thoughts only confirm my suspicion that this food is way over priced and way over rated. I never liked the sunflower oil in it in the first place.  But the zero carbs and low fat are helping TC lose and maintain a healthy weight, so I feel kind of....stuck..with it.

MOST foods are over-rated.  IMHO  We choose the lessor of the evils, when feeding our pets.   >:(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 05:50:25 PM »
I know it's dog food, but I tried this canned with Barkly when he was alone after we lost Dannyboy (ended up giving it to the neighbor b/c was just another canned experiment with a refusal to eat it), but I don't think there are any gums or anything else in it--just a bunch of minerals & vitamins listed as added:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Newmans-Own-Organics-Grain-Free-Canned-Dog-Food/144064.aspx

You'd have to do more research, but I think their beef is free-range from Uruguay. I'm not sure if that would work with that amount in fat though. It's 4.5% when the tiki is 2.0%. There's no taurine in it listed either. :-( But might not hurt occasionally.

What I find "interesting" (and has nothing to do about the current topic) about Newman's Own pet food.  The dog food has sooooo much less carpy stuff in it... compared to the cat food. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »
What I find "interesting" (and has nothing to do about the current topic) about Newman's Own pet food.  The dog food has sooooo much less carpy stuff in it... compared to the cat food. 

Oh, they've got some of the others besides those 3 cans that are full of grains, etc. I've looked and looked though, and there are SO many cat foods that have other things added in them. I wonder why they think all those gums & things are necessary?

Are those chicken Tikis the only ones without a ton of seafood & junk?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »
Oh, they've got some of the others besides those 3 cans that are full of grains, etc. I've looked and looked though, and there are SO many cat foods that have other things added in them. I wonder why they think all those gums & things are necessary?

Oh, I know they have more dog food options.  But there are NO options (IMHO) in their cat food line.  Among other things, the majority (if not all) contain fish.  I dunno... I just expected better. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »
Lola I agree with you about the Newman's Own cat foods, but thanks for trying Dee.  Even though I could supplement with taurine, I just don't like the idea of feeding cats food made for dogs.

Yes, the two chicken formulas are the only non fish formulas in the Tiki Cat.  The food is made in Thailand, which is a big fishing area, so the fishy foods are a bit cheaper, but I won't feed my cats fish, or any food that contains fish.

They do get KRILL oil every other day.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 11:51:26 PM »
Thanks soooo much for the insight!!    HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
Got a few cans of Tiki chicken today.  It reminds me of the Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken.  Roxy gave it a thumbs down.  Everyone else liked it. 

Weruva:Chicken (Boneless, Skinless, White Breast), Water Sufficient For Processing, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Tiki:Chicken, Chicken Broth, Sunflower Seed Oil, Fish Oil.
Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate Heptahydrate, Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:20:01 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »
All those foods made in Thailand look the same, Weurva, Soulsitic, Petite Cuisine and Tiki.  The chicken ones, at least, which are the only ones I've ever tried, and I've tried the chicken in all those brands now.

The main difference between the Tiki and Weruva is the carbohydrates.  Weruva always has some kind of starch, like potato or tapioca. It has a very heavy gravy, whereas the liquid in the Tiki is thinner, like a consommé. 

I haven't opened the Tiki chicken "with egg" yet.  I'm still working on the one with the name that starts with Puka.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2013, 08:17:22 PM »
Since Weruva makes Soulistic for PetCo... makes sense they are similar.  I tasted the Weruva (plain chicken one) and it definitely had a STRONG starchy taste.  It didn't taste anything like it looked!  Bumpurr1  I didn't taste test the Soulistic. 

I do like Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken, for the low carb count (3)...and no unnecessary fruits and veggies included.  AND I actually like the company and their ethics.  It is just too pricey, for me, to feed it to 7 .... on a regular basis. 

Petite Cuisine.. is it made by Purina/Nestle... or is the Founder just from Purina? 

PS:  I edited my other post to correct the ingredients of the flavor I fed... Puka Puka Luau
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:22:02 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »
Puka Puka Luau - no carrageenan.  That's HUGE.  I'm going to give some serious thought about adding it into the rotation.