Author Topic: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding  (Read 27593 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:18:22 PM »
My Alnutrin came today!

I'm excited to get started, but a little nervous and scared, too.  I don't want to mess this up.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:24:12 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »
Big learning curve in raw feeding.  HeadButt You'll be great.  I do know how you feel though.  When I got that first bag of Stella & Chewy's, no, in fact I think it was the night I ordered it, I dreamed all night about big yucky globs of raw meat all over my apartment. Every where I turned there was more, and I kept trying to clean it up, then forgetting to wash my hands, then cleaning it up again. funny2

Incredible to think that was almost 5 1/2 years ago.  May 2012.  Wow.

I'm so excited for you and your cats, you are going to be amazed in a few weeks.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »
bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

Big learning curve in raw feeding.  HeadButt You'll be great.  I do know how you feel though.  When I got that first bag of Stella & Chewy's, no, in fact I think it was the night I ordered it, I dreamed all night about big yucky globs of raw meat all over my apartment. Every where I turned there was more, and I kept trying to clean it up, then forgetting to wash my hands, then cleaning it up again. funny2

Incredible to think that was almost 5 1/2 years ago.  May 2012.  Wow.

I'm so excited for you and your cats, you are going to be amazed in a few weeks.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 06:25:37 PM »
PS hey Catgirl do you have way of recording?  I mean are you keeping a journal or record of some kind?  I highly advise it, at least at first.  You will want to know all their weights, to keep track of loss or gains (this is how you figure out what is the right daily amount per cat).

You'll want to keep track of poops too.

I have a favor to ask as well, if you aren't too busy, would you start a new thread in our raw feeding section and and chronicle your transition for the forum?  I don't mean to put pressure on you, meaning I don't expect you to post every little detail but it would be helpful to others, and fun for us to follow along!

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?board=16.0

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 03:50:35 AM »
PS hey Catgirl do you have way of recording?  I mean are you keeping a journal or record of some kind?  I highly advise it, at least at first.  You will want to know all their weights, to keep track of loss or gains (this is how you figure out what is the right daily amount per cat).

You'll want to keep track of poops too.

I have a favor to ask as well, if you aren't too busy, would you start a new thread in our raw feeding section and and chronicle your transition for the forum?  I don't mean to put pressure on you, meaning I don't expect you to post every little detail but it would be helpful to others, and fun for us to follow along!

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?board=16.0

I will try.  I can probably make some kind of journal on my computer.  Actually, that's one of the things I am a little concerned about.  I have a very precise kitchen scale to measure Alnutrin and food, but just an extremely basic bathroom scale that's not really going to show small fluctuations in the weight of the cats.  I will look around and see what a good one will cost, but it may be out of reach just now.  That, along with a meat grinder, would make life much, much easier, but I'll probably have to use what I have for now, since we just got hit with the cost of a new laptop.  I am already very careful to monitor pee, poop, any changes in appetite or activity, and I feel and examine each cat's body every day, looking for changes I can detect that way.   

When I price scales, what kind do you suggest?  Baby scale?  I would like to monitor the weight of my dogs, too.  Fortunately, they are small enough that anything that will work for the cats will also work for them.  How often should I weigh?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 05:39:52 AM »
I have a baby scale this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Salter-Digital-Toddler-Weighing-Scale/dp/B00009KX5U/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1513164882&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=salter+baby+scale&psc=1

But there are cheaper models.

https://smile.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Weighing-Capacity-Accurate/dp/B01IC7P3GS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1513164882&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=salter+baby+scale&psc=1

I have a friend who got her baby scale on her local freecycle so that may be an option for you?

I weigh weekly.  I weigh on Saturday mornings (or sometimes Sunday) before feeding,  trying to make sure everyone has peed before weigh in time for consistency.  Last week for instance, Jennie had suddenly gained 2 ounces!  Right after I weighed her she ran down to the litter box. I weighed her again when she came back up, and those 2 ounces were gone.

Jennie is the only one who has 2 ounce pee weights.  Mazy cat's pee weighs about 0.7 oz and tiny Queen Eva's are even less.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 05:43:24 AM »
PS I bought that scale on August 30 2011.  I'm still on the original battery!

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 03:34:20 PM »
I'm pretty excited!  We just did some shopping, and I found solution-free chicken leg quarters at Walmart, of all places.  I personally loathe Walmart, myself, but my housemate likes it.  Anyway, I never, ever buy meat there, but I took a look just to see what they had, and found 10 lb. bags of leg quarters for $5.38 each!  I read the label very carefully:  no additives or preservatives, sodium 95 mg. per serving.  "May contain two percent retained water," but at 54 cents/lb., I can deal with that, as I would be adding water, anyway, so I got two bags.  Got some chicken livers there, too. 

We will probably go to Sprouts Friday.  Their weekly flyer has a coupon for $10 off, if you buy $50 worth of stuff, and they have some great specials this week.  I love Sprouts.   

There is also an downloadable coupon for pork loin at 99 cents/lb., good Saturday only, at Kroger.  I will have to check the label, as the last time I got packaged pork there, it was butt roast, which I use to make pulled pork and taco filling, but I checked the one still in my freezer, and it does have enhancements, up to 3% of solution.  I suspect the loins will be the same, but if they are not, I will be maxing out that coupon and getting five of them.  The more I can save on meats like chicken and pork, the more I will have left to add a little variety later on.

I've asked my housemate to check around and see if anyone she knows has a baby scale they don't need anymore.  This may be the easiest way to get one.  She knows a lot of people with small children, including some who have probably had their last child. 

Oh, almost forgot.  I got a big container of Temptations, too, just in case! 

Good thing I enjoy working with food...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:45:38 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 06:20:44 PM »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 05:29:48 AM »
Sounds like a great idea Catgirl!

ACV= apple cider vinegar, sorry.  ACV helps draw the goodness out of the bones.  It has to be raw unprocessed vinegar though. "with the mother" should be on the label.  I prefer Bragg brand.  I have been forced to try other brands, because my local grocery stopped carrying Bragg.  I didn't like either of their other choices after trying them, so I had to look further afield for Bragg.

I was getting it on Amazon for a very expensive price, then recently discovered Walmart carries it.

How much do ACV do you use?  I have some on hand, not Bragg, but it does have the mother.  I'm pretty sure I can get Bragg at Sprouts when we shop there Friday.

I'm getting ready to start prepping the chicken.  I think the first thing I will do is bake it lightly, as done on the catinfo site.  Should I remove the bones first, so I have an accurate raw weight, or may I bake bone-in and then weigh it, including the weight of the liquid in the pan?  I do have a couple of questions for you about the Alnutrin, too.  I know it is important not to use too much, and the thing that concerns me is, since I don't have a grinder, how will I make sure it is evenly distributed through the food?  I want to make sure the cats aren't just licking off the broth with the Alnutrin in it.  Also, since unsupplemented meat should not make up more than 10% of what the cats eat, and Alnutrin is not to be used with commercial food, does this mean I must go directly from a little meat mixed with the canned to all home-made, or is it safe to blend the two?  Last question is, some of the recipes on Alnutrin call for the chicken to be skinned, and some do not.  Which is better?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:35:52 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 05:47:47 AM »
I'm out of time for answering this morning, but will come back after work. xx

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 03:05:31 PM »
You add water to Alnutrin.  It makes a slurry... so to speak.  Mix the water and Alnutrin first... add X amount of Alnutrin per x pounds of food + liver.  I make batches of food at one time.  15 to 20 lbs.  I then freeze by portions.  One day portions.  Makes life easier. 

Your cats eat chunks of meat... right?  They should lick their plates clean!  :) 

If I understand your question...You can feed raw and canned at the same time.  You don't want UNbalanced meals.  Raw with Alnutrin and canned (NEVER add Alnutrin to canned) = balanced meals. 

What I do with chicken... some meals include the skin, some have little skin, others have no skin.  I feed the same protein for all 3 daily meals.  Never the same protein two days in a row.  Anyway...Some say no skin.  Others same some skin.  And others say all skin.  I figure furkids are safe by doing a little of all the recommendations. 

*Some as in reliable sources... Dr. Pierson, Alnutrin, and ...I don't remember who else.  Been too long.   Silly7
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:13:42 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 12:46:57 AM »
You add water to Alnutrin.  It makes a slurry... so to speak.  Mix the water and Alnutrin first... add X amount of Alnutrin per x pounds of food + liver.  I make batches of food at one time.  15 to 20 lbs.  I then freeze by portions.  One day portions.  Makes life easier. 

Your cats eat chunks of meat... right?  They should lick their plates clean!  :) 

If I understand your question...You can feed raw and canned at the same time.  You don't want UNbalanced meals.  Raw with Alnutrin and canned (NEVER add Alnutrin to canned) = balanced meals. 

What I do with chicken... some meals include the skin, some have little skin, others have no skin.  I feed the same protein for all 3 daily meals.  Never the same protein two days in a row.  Anyway...Some say no skin.  Others same some skin.  And others say all skin.  I figure furkids are safe by doing a little of all the recommendations. 

*Some as in reliable sources... Dr. Pierson, Alnutrin, and ...I don't remember who else.  Been too long.   Silly7

Okay, raw with Alnutrin mixed with canned is what I suspected, but I just wanted to make sure, because of the warning not to use with commercial food.  I was probably being overly cautious about that.   :-[

I guess my final remaining question is, do I want to weigh the meat before doing a surface cook?  If I do, I will cut it from the bone first, weigh it, then do the baking.  If it doesn't matter, I will do surface cook while it's on the bone, and then debone it.  I know some weight will be lost when I cook, and after reading the warnings about not overdosing on the Alnutrin, I want to be super careful.

My cats have eaten very small chunks, but they were wholly cooked chunks.  I have no idea how they will react to raw.  I think I feel more comfortable doing a surface bake with this stuff, anyway. 

Can you tell I am nervous?   Doh1  I'm a little embarrassed to be begging for so much hand-holding. 

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:38:14 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 05:24:30 AM »
Admin Edit:  Requested Posts Moved! :)

I am so excited for you!

You bought the Alnutrin containing egg shell calcium, right?

Yes, you need to know the weight of the food raw, after removing the bones, because that is what the Alnutrin dose is based on.  Save ALL liquids from the process and include in the final product.

These are the kind of things we like to see in a raw introduction thread because these are common questions and worries and it may help someone else.

Lola, I don't know if I have the ability to not only split a thread and move the split to the correct forum? I think we should take this thread..from the start of Catgirl's questions and start it as a new thread in the raw section.

I would split starting at post #19, when the Alnutrin is ordered.  But I have just tried and I don't see any way to move the split to the raw section, I guess the Admin needs to do that?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »
Can you tell I am nervous?   Doh1  I'm a little embarrassed to be begging for so much hand-holding. 

Please, don't be embarrassed!  FWIW, you're helping me out big-time.  I never got my cats on all raw -- they were mostly canned with a little raw as a snack.  So someday when I have a kitty (or two) sharing my home again, I'm going to want to feed all raw, and your questions and this thread will be a HUGE help to me.  So thank you.

I was super-nervous going to raw, too, and that's part of the reason I never made the complete switch.  No matter how many times I'd read that cats can handle raw bone, I just couldn't work up the nerve to feed it.  But another major problem I had was sourcing organ.  There were times Pookie couldn't handle the chicken liver that I got from the supermarket, and I couldn't find any other organ.  Now that I think about it, I wonder if like MC's Mazy, he would have been ok with organic chicken liver, but I don't know where I would have found that.

If it helps at all, the first time I introduced Pookie and his sister to raw, I had to keep telling myself that this is what they're supposed to eat.  And my heart was still racing.  But when they tried it and were all over it like white on rice, it was THE BEST feeling.

I suspect we've all been nervous about making the switch.  But you can do this, and you have a great support system here to help you.  And your pets will be SO HAPPY and healthy!

You've got this.   HeadButt :-*
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:33:42 AM by Lola, Reason: changed subject line »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: