Author Topic: Weruva  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Weruva
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:05:49 AM »
List your experiences here:

We have fed this food, but it is a bit pricey. Though I think its  a good food, but not very high in calories, so you would need to feed quite a bit of it to fill your cats daily protein requirement.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Weruva
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:24:18 AM »
I LOVE that they ONLY mfg. wet.  Overall, the company seems to "get it" that felines are carnivores.  
It is one food that I do buy in smaller cans.  I mix it with (other brands) that come in large cans.  
I have only fed the flavor Paw Lickin' Chicken.  The majority of our clan WERE pate only eaters.  This food changed their minds.  It looks delicious.  I haven't tried it myself, but have to admit it is tempting!  lol

I did write the company about mfg larger cans.  I got a FAST and VERY friendly response.  Larger cans coming out this summer/fall.  

From their website- http://www.weruva.com
"Our formulas are produced in a human food facility using many of the ingredients and processes that are used in products made for people. Our base proteins of chicken, beef and fish include only top quality muscle meat, such as white breast chicken, whole tuna loins and select cuts of beef. Then we add fresh vegetables and other unique items such as grilled skipjack, tilapia and red bigeye tuna, as well as calamari and shirasu. Our ingredients maintain a natural look and recognizable texture which allows the pet owner to see and understand the ingredients…so what you see is what you get!"

Their explanation about so much fish:

"Fish will have some level of mercury, and we do test for mercury, histamines and pcbs. Yet, not all fish were created equally. In a nutshell, the lower on the food chain, the younger and smaller the fish, the less mercury the fish will have. We use fish that meet the FDA's list of those lower in mercury. There are many species of tuna, some of which have high levels of mercury. We use skipjack, a smaller and younger species that has lower levels.

With that said, we do try to rotate the protein sources for our cats, as they prefer the fish too. We do not have a specific recommendation on how much to feed per week, but we do believe in a nice balance between proteins from the land and sea. Our cats are fish “junkies”, so we often find ourselves mixing in some chicken with the fish. For instance, we often mix Mideast Feast with Paw Lickin’ Chicken."

http://www.weruva.com/tid-bits-detail.php?My-cats-really-love-your-fish-varieties.-Should-I-be-concerned-about-mercury-How-often-can-I-feed-fish-1

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:29:05 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:39:44 AM »
I don't think I've tried the paw lickin chicken yet.  The nine livers is well received if I feed it only once a week or so.  The Green Eggs and chicken and Grandma's chicken soup won't be repeated now that they are used up.

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 11:05:16 AM »
I think I may have one of the few cats that will not eat Weruva...my barn cat named Nightmare.  Can you see why he is named Nightmare funny2

Also, Weruva also makes the food "Soulistic" for Petco and another brand called "Best Feline Friend" which is available at several stores.  Some people were mentioning that the new food "Fussie Cat" looks like it may also be made by Weruva - anyone know if that is true?

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 10:29:34 PM »
Haven't heard of "Fussy Cat" yet  :-\

T&T love them some Paw Lickin Chicken~ it's the only flavor I give them.  It is pricey and low in calories but they like it so much I like to keep it in the mix  ;D

cat3

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 01:57:27 AM »
its spelled like fussiecat I think, the web site takes forever to load, so I didnt bother looking at it. :-\

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 11:10:55 AM »
its spelled like fussiecat I think, the web site takes forever to load, so I didnt bother looking at it. :-\

I had the same experience when I tried to look the food up, and like you did not have the patience for it.

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
Soulistic, Weruva, and Best Feline Friend all have email addresses that go to Weruva.  However, Fussie Cat has their own email address, though there food is very similiar, in both texture and ingrediants.

Here are the ingrediants for one of the flavors - I got this off a petfooddirect.com as it loads MUCH faster.

Fussie Cat Premium Tuna with Chicken canned food: Tuna Whole Meat, Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken Meat (Boneless, Skinless), Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride Liquid, Taurine, Oligo Sugar, Vitamin E, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin K3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement

For comparison here are the ingrediants for Best Feline Friend Tuna and Chicken 4-Eva canned:

Tuna, Water Sufficient For Processing Balance, Chicken, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Weruva Mideast Feast with grilled Tilapia Canned: Tuna Whole Meat, Water Sufficient For Processing Balance, Tilapia, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Soulistic Sweet Salutations Chicken & Tuna Dinner Adult Canned Cat Food in Gravy
5.5 oz.; Case of 8
Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken, Tuna, Tapioca Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Vitamin B12 Supplement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 04:01:12 PM »
I don't think I've tried the paw lickin chicken yet. 

When you do try it, let me know if you like it.  I've been wanting to take a bite myself.  It looks DELICIOUS.  Cats love it.  Bumpurr1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 09:06:55 PM »
What are your thoughts about the chicken being white meat, instead of brown meat?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:46:08 PM »
Moved this from another thread, that was discussing another brand...

It's that high carb that's frustrating me.  Weruva and Soulistic, while no carrageenan or menadione, are 22% or more, carbohydrate. :(

I was just re-checking Weruva products. I took it out of rotation a while back.  But...I reallllllly like that they don't mfg kibble at all.  I don't feed fish flavors, but if I did... I would be comfortable with their fish choices.  There is just soooo much about the company that I like. Yeah, it is a bit pricey (IMHO)... but there could be worse things.
Anyway, I just wanted to mention that there are flavors that have 10 and under carb counts.  I pretty much only fed the Paw Lickin' Chicken.  

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:49:34 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Weruva - Cats In The Kitchen
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 07:43:40 PM »
Thoughts?  I don't understand all the chart info.  Looks low in carbs.  ??  No fish.  No carrageenan.  No mort-whatever clay. 

Chicken Frick ‘A Zee - Chicken Recipe Au Jus
Available in 6.0oz and 3.2oz

Ingredients
Chicken Broth, Chicken*, Locust Bean Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sunflower Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Fish Oil, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Copper Sulfate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

*A combination of boneless, skinless, white breast and other cuts of chicken

http://www.weruva.com/catsitk-cans-chicken-frick-a-zee.php

Nutrition Info:

Calories come from 3 places: protein, fat and carbohydrates. ME Profile measures the percentage of calories coming from protein, fat and carbohydrates.

http://www.weruva.com/catsitk-cans-nutrition.php

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 01:42:13 AM »
I feed a little bit of this food, though it contains Xanthum gum, look that up, you wont be impressed :(  bangshead

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 05:29:59 AM »
I'm not okay with xanthum.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 05:59:33 AM »
I was hoping Xanthum gum wasn't one, I thought I remembered to stay away from.  :( 

Doesn't all canned food have to have some kind of gum?  Is Guar Gum the "okay" gum?