Author Topic: This is scary  (Read 630 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
This is scary
« on: August 03, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »
I admit it:  I'm a traditional person.  I'm also probably paranoid.  But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

I saw this on the news the other day and it just creeps me out:  https://www.yahoo.com/gma/microchip-implants-chart-territory-call-ethical-nightmare-153805161--abc-news-topstories.html

Microchip implants chart new territory, but some experts say they are an ethical nightmare

Three Square Market, based in Riverdale, Wisconsin, said it surgically implanted the chips in about 50 volunteers on Tuesday, giving the workers the ability to make purchases, unlock doors, log into computers and perform other office functions with just the wave of a hand. The firm employs 95 workers at its Wisconsin location and has more than 200 other employees stationed around the globe.

Three Square Market’s Chief Operating Officer, Patrick McMullan, estimates that the technology will become standardized within the next decade or so, eventually allowing people use their chips for passports, public transit and various purchasing opportunities. He, too, was microchipped, and said the program was "going well" since its implementation.

"The reality is, it’s coming and it’s coming soon," McMullan told ABC News. "And I think you’re going to see a whole new wave of people who are wanting to get into this.”

All I could think was WARNING!  WARNING!  This is opening a can of worms that will never be closed.  To quote my favorite musician, Sting:  "Never saw no miracle of science that didn't go from a blessing to a curse."

Call me paranoid.  I'm ok with that.  But no censored way is someone putting a microchip in me.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: This is scary
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
It's awful. I'm glad I'm older, but unfortunately not old enough to entirely escape all this. I am not interested in new technology.  The smart phone I bought 13 months ago is still in the box.  The new modem and cable box for the "upgraded" cable service is still in the box (3 months now). I'm just not interested.

It's too bad about the cable/modem stuff because if I would hook it up I'd save $40 a month for a year.  But I just can't make myself do it.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: This is scary
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »
A few dogs have developed cancers around their microchips. Admittedly low numbers, but that alone is enough for me to refuse to do anything like that.

Then there's the hackers. If thieves can steal your CC information just by walking near you, then they'll figure out how to hack into these radio frequencies too. Good luck with that.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: