Author Topic: Antacid use and GI disease in Cats - article  (Read 977 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Antacid use and GI disease in Cats - article
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »
I saw this article and thought I'd share it, but frankly, I disagree with giving antacids on a regular basis to your pet.  Stomach acid is needed for the digestive process, and reducing it regularly can contribute, IMO, to nutritional deficiencies.  That's just my  2cents

http://www.winnfelinefoundation.org/education/cat-health-news-blog/details/cat-health-news-from-the-winn-feline-foundation/2015/07/03/antacid-use-and-gi-disease-in-cats?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CatHealthNewsFromTheWinnFelineFoundation+%28Cat+Health+News+from+the+Winn+Feline+Foundation%29
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:21:33 AM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Antacid use and GI disease in Cats - article
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 02:05:08 PM »
I saw this article and thought I'd share it, but frankly, I disagree with giving antacids on a regular basis to your pet.  Stomach acid is needed for the digestive process, and reducing it regularly can contribute, IMO, to nutritional deficiencies.  That's just my  2cents

I agree with you. Right now Vlad is needs to take Prilosec because of the higher dose of prednisone he's taking. Most dogs his size take between 1.5 mg to 2.5 mg a day. He's on 5mg per day. It's messing with his stomach. He's had obvious indigestion since that first week of pred. But right now, he's still showing symptoms of needing more pred. since it's so close to his crisis. He vomited yesterday morning, and his vet had me give him another 5mg right then when I called him.

But we ARE going to start getting it down at some point when I feel he's recovered sufficiently from that crisis, and I expect to stop the Prilosec then. I really hate him being on it. I might have to use ACV for a while to get him off of it, but I will. This isn't a good time for a dog to develop a crisis and try to start playing with their meds since summer stresses a lot of A-dogs.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: