Author Topic: A new chapter for Mazy  (Read 11458 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: A new chapter for Mazy
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 05:11:31 AM »
Well Jennie and Queen Eva do not have the same reaction to eating chicken and while they have a wider variety of proteins than Mazy cat, they do get chicken every day with the Tiki and the (almost gone) By nature organic, and their ears do not get pink and hot. :)

Mazy cat is now officially 2/3 Rad Cat and 1/3 By Nature.  It's weird how difficult it is to change up a routine.  I have to think, a lot, when planning out the next day's meals now.  I suppose it will become 2nd nature again soon.

She gets Rad Cat for her morning pre-meal, and Rad Cat for breakfast.  By Nature organics for lunch, and for her supper pre-meal, then Rad Cat for supper and Rad Cat for bedtime meal.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »
Well Jennie and Queen Eva do not have the same reaction to eating chicken and while they have a wider variety of proteins than Mazy cat, they do get chicken every day with the Tiki and the (almost gone) By nature organic, and their ears do not get pink and hot. :)

Mazy cat is now officially 2/3 Rad Cat and 1/3 By Nature.  It's weird how difficult it is to change up a routine.  I have to think, a lot, when planning out the next day's meals now.  I suppose it will become 2nd nature again soon.

She gets Rad Cat for her morning pre-meal, and Rad Cat for breakfast.  By Nature organics for lunch, and for her supper pre-meal, then Rad Cat for supper and Rad Cat for bedtime meal.

Mazy cat says she does not like Rad Cat turkey for her entire breakfast in the morning.  (it used to be .6 oz By Nature organic for her pre-meal, and 1.1 oz RC turkey for her main meals)  Tomorrow morning I will try Rad Cat chicken for the pre-meal and Rad Cat turkey, as usual, for the main meals.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 07:38:33 PM »
Mazy cat says she does not like Rad Cat turkey for her entire breakfast in the morning.  (it used to be .6 oz By Nature organic for her pre-meal, and 1.1 oz RC turkey for her main meals)  Tomorrow morning I will try Rad Cat chicken for the pre-meal and Rad Cat turkey, as usual, for the main meals.

fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed Crossing paws that it goes well!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 05:43:01 AM »
Thanks.  I'll be glad when the new routine becomes...well..routine.  I keep getting confused about what I am feeding her when.

Two servings have been cut out of her daily schedule so that's something, and one is in the morning, which is very helpful.  Mazy can't seem to eat as much at breakfast time when it's all raw, so the extra meal (a small one, .3 oz) gets added to the bed time meal.

Because she is now eating raw as her last meal of the night, I will no longer be trying for 10 hour fasts on the weekends.  8 hours is as long as any cat should go after a raw meal.

I still wish I could find at least one more raw (organic) brand of food to feed her, one more protein.  My only choice seems to be Hare Today, but they aren't organic and are quite...almost aggressive..in their stance about that fact.

Once I found a frozen organic duck at Price Chopper.  But only once.  If I could find something like that again I would de bone it best I could and grind it or chop it up fine (no meat grinder) and use that as an occasional meal for her (supplementing with taurine and egg shell calcium) but I need a reliable regular source.

Or organic cornish hen, Mazy cat used to love Cornish hen, but it got so she can't keep regular grocery store meat down.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 03:21:57 AM »
Feline's Pride is GMO free.  Shipping is VERY steep though.  https://www.mypetspride.com/about-shelbys-recipe
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 04:42:23 AM »
Thank you! But, Mazy cat can't have bone. :(

But they have both cornish hen and duck! I may decide to try it.  I'm just not sure she can handle bone though.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 04:28:37 PM »
Is a duck a good option for Mazy since it is high in fat?  I mean... would it help her to keep her weight up?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 05:55:46 PM »
I think duck would be okay, but not every day.  But it has to be organic.  If she'll eat it.  She used to go crazy over cornish hen.  But she's got to have GMO free meat, and that means organic.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 08:04:16 AM »
AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 08:10:56 AM »
I can't stand it.  This picture issue is making me insane.  I wrote a detailed long post about Mazy and the increased Rad Cat., then decided to add some pictures to illustrate.  Since Picture Gallery doesn't work at all any more I had to upload the pics from my camera to the effing "Picture Library" that comes with 8-1.

Then I had to, one by one, upload a picture to Luna pic, resize it, (but because Luna doesn't resize in proportion everything looks skewed). 

Then I had to down load each picture back to my computer.  Then I had to move each download back to a picture folder.  All of this.  One by one.  All of this with every download, I had to go searching for the folder I wanted to put the resized downloaded picture in.  Every. Single. Time.

It's freaking madness how long it takes to resize one !@#$%^&*() picture.

Then, I came back to my thread, only to discover I forgot to open a new tab when I opened Luna and my entire post is gone.

This picture gallery problem is ruining my life.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 08:50:58 AM »

This picture gallery problem is ruining my life.

The picture gallery on the forum or on Windows 10?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »
I am still on Win 8.1.  The phto program with 8.1  is a nightmare.  I downloaded 8 picture gallery, I used to be able to use it now and then between crashes, but now, since January 1st, it does not work at all.

This problem has been on-going since I bought this 8.1 computer in April. I am sure you are all tired of me whining about it.  but I can't find a solution.

I looked up the win to picture progam but there doesn't seem to be any way to "try" it, you know like a tutorial or tiral, before downloading it (apparently you can get it without going over to 10)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: A new chapter for Mazy-update
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »
Mazy cat has been 75% raw for one week now.  Today starts the second week, but today I am going to try all raw for her.

She hasn't regurgitated in 8 days, but that is not an uncommon pattern for her.  She can go as long as 14 days and twice 18 or 19 day (in the last 4 years I mean). The last year or so there's been more 5 day spans than 14 day spans though, but 7 or 8 is still in there.

She had one urpy day in the middle of the week, but after running down the stairs doing her hyuk hyuk, when she got down there she stopped, burped and didn't puke.  Her look of surprise was priceless, and I was grateful. That day, since I knew she was feeling urpy, I gave her an extra half tablet of Vet's-Best.

Her coat is..indescribable.  I never dreamed her coat could be so plush.  It's always been rough, not very luxurious.  But with each improvement in her diet, it becomes nicer and nicer. It makes me want to hurry and get her on all raw.  But I still don't have a third protein for her.

I am driven now, I want organic cornish hen for her, but she isn't near ready for bone yet, so I can't get even the Feline's Pride.  If she ever is. So somehow I need to buy organic cornish hens for her, cut them up, and supplement them, to add this protein to her rotation.

She is still crouching after meals, yes including raw meals.

She's at a good weight now, a weight I am comfortable with.  Her normal weight for many years was 9 pounds 12 ounces, though my vet was always warning me about "not letting her get too fat" at that weight, since she never did I was happy with it, but  Mazy is now maintaining 9 pounds 9 ounces, and I am happy with that.

Her energy level is normal.  Mazy cat has always been active.  The difference now is at (almost 12) her entering her "senior" years, she does need a longer period of rest between vigorous activity. To clarify, she may spend several days thundering around the house with Queen Eva, and then the fourth day she will sleep more and rest more and not want to play.

Her appointment for her rabies shot is this coming Friday.  I am getting her the PureVax three year shot this time, and I swear this is her last shot.  Remind me in three years!  It's something I have to do, because she is a biter. I'm not worried about me getting bit, I can handle her bites now, if she has an accident with her control (she's only learned to control that need to bite, it's still there) but she does get fear aggression at the vet. . I can't let her vaccination status lapse. She's much better at the vet with the Feliway and the Rescue Remedy, but I won't risk a quarantine for her.

I took some pictures yesterday morning to illustrate her posture, after eating. As always with her (her pattern haha) there is no pattern to when she crouches after a meal like this.  In these pictures she'd just eaten .4 ounces of Rad Cat Turkey, a food she's never had any trouble with, I don't even think she's ever regurgitated it.  There were no supplements in it.

This is what she looks like after she eats.  Not EVERY time, but often enough for me to realize it's more than it used to be.  Can last a few minutes up to maybe 10 or 15 minutes before she settles and looks comfortable. There is no pattern to it.

Those pictures were yesterday. This morning she had none of that crouching after any of her breakfast meals, even though they were the exact same as yesterday. Same fasting span also.  In fact the only difference is that yesterday morning she had a poop, this morning she didn't, but she's not due to until tonight. 36 hours is her cycle usually, it hasn't changed, at least not yet, since the increase in raw. I think I just answered my own question, at least for this particular instance.  I looked at the time on those pictures. They were taken after her first breakfast serving (now .4+ oz at a time!) but before she pooped.

But...I can't rely on that see, other times she may crouch like that after eating and not be anywhere near time for her to poop again. But you can really tell from these pictures how uncomfortable she is.

Pookie I have taken your advice about trying her on larger servings, she is now eating up to .45 ounces at a time of Rad Cat.  About .35 oz of canned.  This has cut out three servings now.  Much nicer for me!

Oh and one more thing, feeding raw as her last meal and going 9 hours fast doesn't seem to be a problem for her.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 06:46:27 PM »
Thanks for the update!

I was hoping that, over time, adding the ACV would help and "re-train" her tummy to produce more on it's own, but I'm wondering if maybe she needs a little more?  Or maybe a little less?   :-\  Burping to me means that the food is fermenting in her tummy, so she would need more acid and/or digestive enzymes, but then maybe the ACV is giving her too much acid (maybe her tummy actually is producing more on it's own now)?   :-\  Gosh, I wish I knew what to suggest, and I'd hate to suggest anything for fear of making things worse.  But I guess I just wanted to put it out there to see what you thought.

Pookie I have taken your advice about trying her on larger servings, she is now eating up to .45 ounces at a time of Rad Cat.  About .35 oz of canned.  This has cut out three servings now.  Much nicer for me! 

That is awesome!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2016, 10:31:04 PM »
Well but this is immediately after eating.  Not half an hour later.  She doesn't get any ACV in raw meals so she is down to ACV only in one meal a day. In other meals she is getting her probiotics and pancreas powder, but not every meal.

Tags: