Author Topic: Help me find a cannned food low in phosphorus  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Help me find a cannned food low in phosphorus
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:25 AM »
My girl is already refusing the Before Grain beef.  She was never finicky or seemed to tire of the c/d kibble, but as you may know it has started making her sick.

I am searching desperately but cannot find another canned cat food with phosphorus under .8% (dry matter) She's beginning to lose weight now, this cannot happen!

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: Help me find a cannned food low in phosphorus
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »
http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm is a chart from 2011, it has the phosphorus amounts of food listed on a dry matter basis.  It includes both canned, raw, and baby foods.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:09:22 PM »
A little trick I've heard of, to reduce phosphorus content while keeping a good level of protein, is to substitute a portion of the meal with cooked egg whites.  Think of the substitution as "thinning" the phosphorus levels... but without losing the protein.

If you have a wet food that is close, but still a little high in phosphorus, maybe give it a try?  Choppity chop the cooked egg white finely, so it will mix well with the wet food?

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
What is phosphorus and why does one need to cut the levels?  :-* TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »
There are also phosphorus binders like ones listed on http://www.zzcat.com/CRF/supplies/binders.htm.  I used the "Aluminum Hydroxide Dried Gel USP Powder" mixed with Milo's food - he needed lower phosphorus foods since he had CRF (chronic renal failure).  Actually I still have most of a one pound container that expires in October 2014, I have no use for it anymore, if you want it send me a message on here.

What is phosphorus and why does one need to cut the levels?  :-* TexasFlag bumpgif

Maybe this will help explain; it is why it is used in cats with renal failure.  I don't know what Middle Child is using it for though.
Phosphorus is a mineral essential for good health which is contained in many foods. The body is very good at regulating its phosphorus levels by removing excess phosphorus via the kidneys. However, the kidneys of a CKD cat can no longer efficiently excrete excess phosphorus, so the vast majority of CKD cats will eventually have levels of phosphorus in their blood which are too high: this is known as hyperphosphataemia.
http://www.felinecrf.org/phosphorus.htm

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:18:08 PM »
I was going to say the same thing about the Phosphrous binder, or egg whites, but... Over at Catsfur I recommended this to a cat that was having kidney insuffeciency.  Then another catsfur member said this after my post.
"Your friend's cat won't need a phosphorus binder unless his BUN becomes very elevated. In fact, adding a phosphorus binder to a cat's food isn't a good idea and isn't recommended unless the BUN is very high. If that does happen, there is a tasteless phosphorus binder that comes in powder form that can be added to the food"

:-\

Now I know that cats BUN levels are higher when fed a high protein diet, compared to a cat eating regular ole run of the mill cat food.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »
Now I know that cats BUN levels are higher when fed a high protein diet, compared to a cat eating regular ole run of the mill cat food.

I would submit that the BUN of a raw fed cat is actually closer to what "normal" is supposed to be, and that everyone else is limping along with lower than normal BUNs....   just a theory.   Bumpurr1

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
I would submit that the BUN of a raw fed cat is actually closer to what "normal" is supposed to be, and that everyone else is limping along with lower than normal BUNs....   just a theory.   Bumpurr1

exactly that was what I was trying to say, lol!!!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Gump and Co

• Yapper
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
I was going to say the same thing about the Phosphrous binder, or egg whites, but... Over at Catsfur I recommended this to a cat that was having kidney insuffeciency.  Then another catsfur member said this after my post.
"Your friend's cat won't need a phosphorus binder unless his BUN becomes very elevated. In fact, adding a phosphorus binder to a cat's food isn't a good idea and isn't recommended unless the BUN is very high. If that does happen, there is a tasteless phosphorus binder that comes in powder form that can be added to the food"

:-\

Hi Shadow,
You actually need to start using phosphorus binders when the phosphorus levels (shown on bloodwork) become elevated (preferably should be in the lower half of the reference range for CKD kitties). If the BUN is high and the phosphorus levels are okay you wouldn't necessarily need a binder, although probably the phosphorus would be high if the BUN got really elevated. And for CKD kitties, you want to try to feed a lower phosphorus food anyway (good list of canned food with phosphorus levels at Tanya's site that Mo posted), and you could put in some binder in if the food you're feeding has higher phosphorus to prevent it from increasing.

Hi Bump, phosphorus levels can get high in cats with kidney issues and too much phosphorus can make kidney disease worse.  I've also read that high phosphorus makes CKD kitties feel bad.

I am using aluminum hydroxide right now for Gump because his phosphorus has gotten too high. I also give him cooked egg white which is also supposed to dilute phosphorus levels as someone mentioned.  I fry them in butter to make them tasty and chop them up and put in his food. Egg whites are high quality protein with little phosphorus (sometimes I drizzle some raw yolk on it to make it even tastier). I have also read that eggshell powder can be used a more natural phosphorus binder. Eggshell powder is a natural source of calcium carbonate; there are other calcium-based binders like Epatikin (can't remember how to spell that) that some people use. There has been one study that showed that calcium-based binders don't raise calcium levels, but it still concerns me some. Anyone have any thoughts or info? But aluminum hydroxide works very well and seems to be used most often as a binder, but there are some concerns about aluminum.

Mo, if you see this, I'm wondering what you think of issues with using aluminum/aluminum hydroxide?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:09:55 PM by Gump and Co »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »
Bump for Mo.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: