Author Topic: Are we not getting the word out?  (Read 23625 times)

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: Are we not getting the word out?
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »
If this link works here is a quick example of a bumper sticker that I put together within a few minutes online.  They are easy to make, at least!

https://secure.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/sign_in.aspx?ip=yes&pf_id=AAT

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2011, 07:51:11 PM »
If this link works here is a quick example of a bumper sticker that I put together within a few minutes online.  They are easy to make, at least!https://secure.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/sign_in.aspx?ip=yes&pf_id=AAT

Have to sign in (or up) Mo.

If there was a diagram of their jaws & teeth to steal borrow, I think it & kibbles or better yet, Cap'n crunch:

"Hey ever wonder why we puke so much? Would you be able to chew this stuff with our teeth?" 

I know one person who is very aware of all the bad ingredients, even asked me for "the dog food site" when she got a new doggie.  But most people are STILL going to believe that dehydrating a cat to drink more is what they need when a professional is telling them to.

This is why I wonder if putting what is most obvious out there will make people (in less provincial areas than mine) think?

I've alienated sooo many people including family, just in conversations, about this and would probably get slapped if I tried telling anyone something in public because the more extreme Religious cults are quite aggressive thus people are leery when approached to begin with. 

Think a Bumper sticker is the way to go in an area like mine because there are always people from other areas visiting, driving through, or whatever.    :)

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
Google tracks where we browse, too, because whenever I need to google terms to cite somebody outside of Drs H & P..., I get a bunch of links to my Internet ramblings.  Doh1    I put "Cats jaws don't rotate" in and wonder why something more "official" (like medical references) don't come up?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »
If there was a diagram of their jaws & teeth to steal borrow, I think it & kibbles or better yet, Cap'n crunch:

"Hey ever wonder why we puke so much? Would you be able to chew this stuff with our teeth?" 

funny2 cryingfunny

LOVE IT!

Or how about something like "In ancient Egypt, cats were worshipped as gods.  So why would anyone feed something dry to an animal that evolved in the desert?"  Or something like that . . .    Then again, someone reading that might think, hey, maybe I should SOAK the dry food.   bangshead

T-shirts . . . hmmmmm   :D  I think you can get things from Staples to make transfers onto t-shirts . . . (rubs hands together in anticipation)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »

T-shirts . . . hmmmmm   :D  I think you can get things from Staples to make transfers onto t-shirts . . . (rubs hands together in anticipation)

I have a very old Hanes T-shirt computer program that I used to use to put things on T-shirts.  I imagine there may be a new version out?? 

I still keep telling people about not feeding dry kibble to cats...never know what may sink in.  New cat owners are more willing to listen. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2011, 06:36:21 PM »
I've alienated sooo many people including family, just in conversations, about this and would probably get slapped if I tried telling anyone something in public because the more extreme Religious cults are quite aggressive thus people are leery when approached to begin with. 
  Me too, mol!!!

Hey guys, my brother has his own business, and he is a sign maker.  Im sure he would love to do these kind of Bumper stickers or whaterver you want for a good price. He is one person in my family that agrees with me when it comes to feline nutrition, he has a beautiful Ragdoll :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2011, 08:11:31 AM »
I was trying to come up with something to put on a bumper sticker that was catchy, informative and to the point.  All I could come up with (and I'm stealing Shadow's motto in doing this, but it IS a pawsome motto) was:

Just say NO to kibble crack.
Visit (insert website here) to learn more.

Everything else I thought of was pretty lame.   :-\  Then I thought, how about a contest on Parenting Furkids to come up with bumper stickers?  Winner gets 5 good karma points.  If you think it's a good idea, let me know and I'll start a new thread.

P.S.  Shadow, you should trademark that motto or something.  It's a REALLY great motto.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »
All I could come up with (and I'm stealing Shadow's motto in doing this, but it IS a pawsome motto) was:

P.S.  Shadow, you should trademark that motto or something.  It's a REALLY great motto.

:) thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

I was trying to come up with something to put on a bumper sticker that was catchy, informative and to the point.  All I could come up with (and I'm stealing Shadow's motto in doing this, but it IS a pawsome motto) was:

Everything else I thought of was pretty lame.   :-\  Then I thought, how about a contest on Parenting Furkids to come up with bumper stickers?  Winner gets 5 good karma points.  If you think it's a good idea, let me know and I'll start a new thread.

P.S.  Shadow, you should trademark that motto or something.  It's a REALLY great motto.
thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 :) agreegif

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2011, 09:24:47 AM »
I was going to make another thread but think this may belong here, and we can start with these losers.

Some background --

I used to donate to Best friends, and asked everyone in my family to do so in lieu of gifts. Long story short:

Received magazine (and other "free gifts" I asked not to receive) with back cover a Purina ad for dry cat food.
Sent email with TONS of info.
Response was: they'd bring the points up at CEO meeting;
Next response: that they need that ad $ "to help the animals more"

I wrote back requesting ballpark figure to see if I could match what Purina is paying for that ad space so that I could do my part to help MEDICAL EXPENSE (www.catinfo.org... on the back cover...)

No response.

HERE is the third hit I got when googleing Feline Nutrition: http://www.bestfriends.org/members/health/catnutr.htm

<<<To make sense of all this confusion, cat owners and veterinarians need to wade through all the pet food marketing information and to rely on the science of pet nutrition.

Pet Food Marketing

All commercial cat foods are all sold as having complete and balanced nutritional value. However, most contain more fat and protein than is required. Pet food companies know that cats love high fat, high protein foods. Over nutrition and obesity have become the most common of cat nutritional disorders.

The most influential and important of these agencies is the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). ..

To avoid problems with overnutrition, cat owners should choose foods that match the AFFCO recommendations most closely...

Choosing the correct food for a particular cat involves considering several important factors.

Use dry matter numbers to evaluate and compare foods.
Consider the energy density of the food.
Avoid all supplementation because commercial cat foods have more than enough protein, fat, vitamins and minerals.
Ingredients are arranged in decreasing order by weight. The source of the ingredients does not matter, except in the case of food allergies.
Feeding high fat, high protein foods can easily lead to obesity. >>>

Funny, NO mention of carnivores.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »
"OVER" nutrition?????  HUH??????  Is that a nice way of saying "overeating?"

".... most contain more protein than is required . . . " Yeah, but it's the WRONG KIND of protein.  They need meat, not plant protein!

"Avoid all supplementation because commercial cat foods have more than enough protein, fat, vitamins and minerals. "   Yeah, ok, that's why Wellness had to recall their food a couple months ago.  Too low in B1 (thiamine).

"The source of the ingredients does not matter, except in the case of food allergies. "   Oh really???  Even if those ingredients are from China?
"Feeding high fat, high protein foods can easily lead to obesity."     bangshead bangshead bangshead

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2011, 01:59:16 PM »
I pretty much got stuck on "overnutrition."  Is that even in the dictionary??

I'm not fat.  I'm not fluffy.  I'm overnurtritionalized. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »
I pretty much got stuck on "overnutrition."  Is that even in the dictionary??

I'm not fat.  I'm not fluffy.  I'm overnurtritionalized. 

funny2 cryingfunny

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2011, 08:25:04 AM »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi
  OMG LOVE this sig!!

Overnutritionalized -- looks like they're taking political correctness to new heights  Bumpurr1

I think I still have the original emails I sent BF on other computer.  I'll send it again, along with above info of theirs. ... if anyone's with me, or knows others who know of them & donate.  (?)

Yet another "fine" and trusted establishment firmly entrenched in The Pocket$, steering everybody the wrong way.   Just who pays?

Look what happened with Vital Essentials -- why not these people? 

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2011, 08:30:10 AM »
Can't get over those outright falsehoods and harmful, detrimental info coming up third in a search for Feline Nutrition, let alone being allowed to stand to begin with. 

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2011, 08:45:17 PM »
Sooo... this is a fairly lengthy thread, and as much as I managed to get through, I'd say y'all covered most of the main points...

People are swayed by marketing
People are swayed by their vets
Vets are swayed by their (corporate) professors
People don't ask questions
People don't know they should ask questions
People don't know what questions to ask
People don't like to change

I have a friend who has 2 dogs, one of which has kidney/crystal issues. 
They fed Nutro, thinking is was a decent mid-line food.

So did I.

However, when one of my kitties began to have serious problems... literally to the brink of death (at 3 years old)... you're darn tootin' I began to question a few things. 
It began when my vet initially said that his problems might be pancreatitis.  So, me being me, I went home and gooled everything I could find for 3 solid days.  The path from all that googling led me to question my pet food choices.  That's about when I found Dogster/Catster, and all the smart foodies over there.

Eventually, I made the decision to feed all my furmonsters a raw/frankenprey diet. 
Pippin finally recovered (it turned out to be severe liver damage), though his liver is severely scarred, and he still gets a low dose of meds for support.

In my enthusiasm for my new-found knowledge, I tried a little too hard to convince my friends to re-examine their own feeding choices.
After seeing the rolled eyes, and unconvinced expressions, I backed off and just gave them the info to read in their own time.
They finally made the move to Blue Buffalo for one of their dogs, but the other is still being fed veterinarian prescription kibble for the kidney issues.
Recently, that food went up in price... by nearly 20%.  Now, finally, they are trying to find a better choice...

So, I guess the last lesson here is...
People are swayed by their wallets.

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"