Author Topic: Pee-shooters  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Pee-shooters
« on: November 22, 2015, 10:59:23 AM »
Jennie and Mazy cat are both pee shooters but only in the high sided box.  If they use the smaller low sided box they squat nice, though sometimes the pee does go over the edge.  The low sided liners really are too small so I can't blame them.

I solved the problem of over the edge by putting a layer of the grass litter underneath.  This works very well, once a week I lift out the paper liner and check for leaked pee and clean it up if there is any, by simply scooping out the wet grass litter and adding more.

This is done in both paper lined boxes but the other one is already finished and too hard to take apart to show.

Anyway one day a while back to my horror I saw Jennie shooting her pee and it was going right over the top of the high sided box to the wall behind!  I pulled everything out and discovered a real mess.  I can't believe it didn't smell worse.  I cleaned it thoroughly and devised a way to catch the extra high pee shooting.

The cardboard doesn't fit tight against the paper liner (to prevent leaks behind instead of running back into the box) so I tuck little wads of folded cardboard behind to give it a more custom fit.

Jennie and Mazy cat seem to really enjoy drilling their pee against the cardboard, in fact they go even higher now that the cardboard is in there.

Jennie uses that box exclusively.

Mazy never stands up and shoots like that in the low sided box.

Queen Eva generally uses the grass litter box for pee and the large high sided box for poop. She is the only one who uses the grass litter box at all.

Paper liners and new litter are replaced every 4-5 weeks. this being 4 1/2 weeks today.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Pee-shooters
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
That is quite a set-up!!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 12:55:28 PM »
LOL.  Yeah it looks awful but no one sees it but me.  I even have a curtain to pull across if I am having company (extremely rare).

I have to use the paper liners, the work of washing litter boxes just got to be too much for me.

The boxes are on a platform, to make it easier for me to scoop.

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »
I have a few what I call border pee ers. They pee right at the edge sometimes missing the inside. We wrap Bounty around the edges which usually soaks it up before it runs down and under the litter box. I read that cats that do not fully squat while peeing mostly have some kind of urinary issues and should see a vet as they are masters of disguising their illnesses
Because pets are family...

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »
I read that cats that do not fully squat while peeing mostly have some kind of urinary issues and should see a vet as they are masters of disguising their illnesses

That's good advice, generally speaking.  It doesn't apply to my girls and their funny habits though as they see their vet regularly, I occasionally use test strips at home, and periodically ask for UAs when they have check ups.

Mazy cat was diagnosed with FLUTD many years ago, (and put on Hills c/d which is why her digestion is destroyed now) but she is not having any problems these days. She gets regular urine cultures done.

Jennie has no urinary tract issues.  Queen Eva likes to hike one of her legs over the edge of the box and pee in the corner.  She came from a nasty situation with filthy litter boxes when she was a tiny kitten.  I think that's where she picked up the habit.

Any change in habits should certainly be investigated.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 03:10:47 PM »

The boxes are on a platform, to make it easier for me to scoop.

I was just telling hubby last week, that it would be cool to put the boxes on some sort of platform(s).  That bending over to scoop 7 boxes... isn't for the over 50 crowd!  :)
I would like to see your platform set-up, IF you are interested in sharing. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:31:48 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »
I have a few what I call border pee ers. They pee right at the edge sometimes missing the inside. We wrap Bounty around the edges which usually soaks it up before it runs down and under the litter box. I read that cats that do not fully squat while peeing mostly have some kind of urinary issues and should see a vet as they are masters of disguising their illnesses

According to Jackson Galaxy... cats that pee in the corners aren't completely happy with their box(es) and/or litter.  I would say he hit the nail on the head (at least with my bunch), because the new long and wide Sterilite boxes that we recently added... everyone pees and poops in the middle.  They are longer than traditional litter boxes. 

My non-squatter was recently seen by a vet.  She had a full senior panel done, urinalysis, etc.  Healthy as a horse... so to speak.  BUT I agree that cats are masters at hiding pain and illness. ANY litter box usage change shouldn't be blown off. Either the human changed something that the cat doesn't like, needs to change something, or the cat is ill. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 03:30:34 PM »
Queen Eva likes to hike one of her legs over the edge of the box and pee in the corner.  She came from a nasty situation with filthy litter boxes when she was a tiny kitten.  I think that's where she picked up the habit.

We once had a female dog that hiked her leg.  Weirdest thing...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 03:51:06 PM »
We once had a female dog that hiked her leg.  Weirdest thing...

The neighbor's dog hikes her leg like a male too. And the oldest's Bos-Chi, well she's crazier looking than that. She does a handstand to pee.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
I was just telling hubby last week, that it would be cool to put the boxes on some sort of platform(s).  That bending over to scoop 7 boxes... isn't for the over 50 crowd!  :)
I would like to see your platform set-up, IF you are interested in sharing. 

Originally I had a platform in only half the space.  I built it with some 2x4s and plywood. I still had some boxes on the floor, because Ootay  angel5 was older then and I didn't want her to have to jump up if she didn't want to.  (eventually she had a litter box in my bathroom)

Now, I still have the original platform I built (I also built a rolling cart underneath for storage of litter) but have turned the other portion of the space into a platform also.  I did this by purchasing one of those "4 tier" plastic shelving units and putting it together half and half, next to each other. These also give me storage space underneath.  I used to keep an extra litter box under there, for years, even though it never got used, but last year I took it out, wanting the space for more storage.

The entire area is covered in retired plastic shower curtain liners, then newspaper. (under the litter boxes, I mean)

Will take and post pics another day.

These are the shelves.  These are also what I used for the cats' Tower by the window, and for their perching shelves on the porch.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Tier-Heavy-Duty-Plastic-Shelves-White/8251816

Their Tower:

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »
I occasionally use test strips at home, and periodically ask for UAs when they have check ups.

Where do you get the test strips from?
Because pets are family...

Tags: