Author Topic: How To Talk About Feline Nutrition  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
How To Talk About Feline Nutrition
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
Ever been in church and you KNOW the pastor is talking directly to YOU?  Well...if this was about wet food, in general, I'd have that feeling.  :-[

After you start feeding a raw diet to your cats and see the beneficial results, you will want to encourage others to do the same. This is a natural urge that comes from wanting to share your discovery of a good thing. Like many of us, you may also have some emotions tied up in the issue. If you had been feeding an improper diet previously, especially dry food, it's only natural that you feel upset that you bought into the pet food industry's propaganda.

Helping others to understand what is really going on can be tricky. No one likes to be told they are doing something wrong with the best of intentions, and that is basically what this message is. This is especially true when the mistake they have made may be harming the cats they care about. The realization that you have been hurting your beloved pet, perhaps for years, is a hard thing. Don't underestimate the power of guilt to keep people from accepting an idea. People are reluctant to change, and will only do so if they understand that there are overwhelming reasons why it must be done.

snip...

http://feline-nutrition.org/membership/messaging-how-to-talk-about-feline-nutrition
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: How To Talk About Feline Nutrition
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:42:24 AM »
Don't underestimate the power of guilt to keep people from accepting an idea.

This is the part that made me re-think how I talk to people.
Nobody likes to feel like they are being preached to, or told they are "doin' it wrong"... I know those are the things that put me on the "stubborn defensive".
It's hard, though.... some folks just don't want to change, even when they know it's for the best.... kinda like giving up smoking, or some other "bad habit".

The other thing... when someone DOES express an interest... is to not overload them with information.  Answer the questions they ask with simple to-the-point answers.  That's a trick I'm still working on.  I usually try to add something along the lines of, "Be sure to do plenty of your own research, try Googling 'raw food myths'."

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: How To Talk About Feline Nutrition
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
When talking to a person...in person...I remember things people told me that blew my mind.  Therefore, I try not to do the same.  Start slowly. 
If I can get a dry feeder to understand the importance of wet (any wet) and feed it...I'm thrilled there is one less feline eating dry. 

This is the part that made me re-think how I talk to people.
Nobody likes to feel like they are being preached to, or told they are "doin' it wrong"... I know those are the things that put me on the "stubborn defensive".
It's hard, though.... some folks just don't want to change, even when they know it's for the best.... kinda like giving up smoking, or some other "bad habit".

The other thing... when someone DOES express an interest... is to not overload them with information.  Answer the questions they ask with simple to-the-point answers.  That's a trick I'm still working on.  I usually try to add something along the lines of, "Be sure to do plenty of your own research, try Googling 'raw food myths'."

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: