Author Topic: Article - Chronic Vomiting in Cats Isn't Normal After All  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Article - Chronic Vomiting in Cats Isn't Normal After All
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 05:12:35 AM »
Good information, but pity they don't mention diet, or actually cause at all.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
 thumbsup1

MC, (and anyone else) I need some help Tweeting this coming week if possible. It sure would be great if you could find more articles while my son is here!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:13:50 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »
Chronic vomiting, present in 73 percent of the cases, is so common that many most veterinarians and cat owners have made excuses for it... therefore cat owners think the same.

The top four reported to me over the years are:
* He eats too fast;
* She has a sensitive stomach;
* It’s just hairballs; and
* “He’s just a puker,” to quote one of my clients.

For accuracy, I had to make a few corrections in the sentence that is bolded.

Gotta love all the testing that is suggested...not!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 08:50:36 PM »
Good information, but pity they don't mention diet, or actually cause at all.

Yeah, that was a bummer.  It would have been nice if they had mentioned what treatments (if any) were available.

MC, (and anyone else) I need some help Tweeting this coming week if possible. It sure would be great if you could find more articles while my son is here!

If I can, I will.  But please don't feel like you have to Tweet something on a daily basis.  Enjoy your time with your son.

"He's just a puker"

I actually had a vet tell me once, "A cat will throw up as soon as look at you."  This was from a VET.   bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead  But I went through the other reasons, too, thinking they were eating too fast, that they had sensitive stomachs and that hairballs were "normal."  It never occurred to me that the food was the problem until I found catinfo.org.  Thank God for Dr. Pierson and her website!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 05:44:03 AM »
Yeah, me too. 

However I am sure a biopsy for Mazy cat would show small intestine thickening.  All that puking is bound to have repercussions.  But, I have to do what's right for Mazy, and what's right for Mazy is limiting vet visits and procedures.  I try to tell myself she did "fine" with the dental, and the ear clean out two years ago.  But both those things were done with her own vet and she was allowed to stay in her own carrier.  She's never lost her fear/intolerance to stainless steel, and I just can't bring myself to put her in a position where she would have to be in a stainless steel cage.  Which she most certainly would for any biopsies or abdominal surgery. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »
But both those things were done with her own vet and she was allowed to stay in her own carrier.  She's never lost her fear/intolerance to stainless steel, and I just can't bring myself to put her in a position where she would have to be in a stainless steel cage.  Which she most certainly would for any biopsies or abdominal surgery. 

I don't blame you one bit.  I don't know that putting her through a procedure like that would accomplish anything other than stressing her out.  Even if it confirmed that she has small intestine thickening, it's not like they know how to "treat" it -- heck, they didn't even discuss the causes (I'm sure to them it's some big mystery), so what would be the point?

You're doing what's best for Mazy, and that's all you can do.  She is very lucky to have you!

Tags: