Author Topic: The creepiest toy to come along in like, forever.  (Read 2872 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
The creepiest toy to come along in like, forever.
« on: March 18, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »
http://www.livingwhole.org/why-you-should-not-buy-your-child-the-new-creepy-nsa-barbie/

If you see one of these new Barbies in your space, WATCH WHAT YOU SAY! Here's why:

Creepy Barbie can listen to everything your child says (and everyone else in the background) via a microphone. As the doll “listens” the audio is transferred to a web server where these juicy tidbits are processed so Barbie (or the creepsters at Mattel) can respond. Creepy NSA Barbie can record your child’s most intimate conversations, can hear everything going on in the background, and will be a third-party in all of your “what you thought were private” discussions.

When pressed, Mattel commented that they are ” committed to safety and security, and Hello Barbie conforms to applicable government standards.”

That’s hilarious. What government standards? The same standards the NSA is not held to? This should give us all the comfort and peace we need to purchase this Barbie. Here’s the privacy policy from Mattel’s partner company who is in charge of processing information obtained from your child

We may use, store, process and transcribe recordings in order to provide and maintain the Service, to perform, test or improve speech recognition technology and artificial intelligence algorithms, or for other research and development and data analysis purposes.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pet South

• Chatter Bug
  • Because pets are family...
    • Pet South on Facebook
Re: The creepiest toy to come along in like, forever.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »
I don't understand the hype. Samsung Smart TVs do the exact same thing and Samsung has admitted that they record and use what you say in your four walls, but nobody really seems to care.
Because pets are family...

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
VERY creepy... Samsung and Mattel... and God knows who else. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »
I can see why a company would want to create a toy that could spy on us. Look how rich Facebook has become by doing it? Advertisers will pay big money to know what kids are thinking and what things they’re into.

No one ever believes me...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
No one wanted to believe me about "smart phones" not being so smart to have. Then all those actresses, and who knows else, had their sexy photos hacked. As hackers learn more, the more pads and phones will be dangerous to have if you want any privacy in your life.

I don't understand the hype. Samsung Smart TVs do the exact same thing and Samsung has admitted that they record and use what you say in your four walls, but nobody really seems to care.

LMAO. We've still got a SQUARE flat-screen TV. It's almost 20 years old. It works. Why get another one? And I'll be really picky about what we get when the day comes that we DO have to get another.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »
Those in-home alarms that can talk to you... if they can talk TO you, they can also listen. 

Also, anything can be hacked.  IMHO 

Pretty soon, there won't be a choice... to not be spied on. 

I think I would more respect for the one that may hack into my Smartphone.  I expect a hacker to be an unethical putz.  It is the companies (Mattel and Facebook, for example) that pretend to be wonderful, while tracking a person's every move.

Unless I want to live in a box....   

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 07:45:26 PM »
Those in-home alarms that can talk to you... if they can talk TO you, they can also listen. 

Our security system doesn't talk to us. Well, not unless you consider barking talking.  :D

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »

Unless I want to live in a box....   

My TV is not even a flat-screen -- it's older than that.  It's your old-fashioned, large, box-style tv.  And it sits in a wall unit with doors that I can close, so if someone wants to see me, they can only do it when I have the doors open.  Otherwise, I keep 'em closed.

There are reasons why I'm not on Facebook, don't have an iPhone, etc.  Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you (or hack you . . . or spy on you . . .).

It's a simple way to live, and it works for me!   :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: