Author Topic: What is it with doggie people at the vets???  (Read 1494 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
What is it with doggie people at the vets???
« on: August 19, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »
Took Bump in this afternoon, to the vettys, for his Rabies booster shotty. He is a big boy, weighs 20 lbs, and his carrier is rated for a 30 lb dog, so needless to say, he is heavy to carry. So I put his carrier on the same cart, I use to take him and his stuff to shows, so much easier, mol.  :D

But it is difficult to navigate thru the doors.  ::)

Lady walked by, came out the other door, leaving, had a beautiful german shepard dog, looked to be about a yr old.  Doesn't she let the leash, all the way out, and let the dog, walk right up to Bump's cage, and sniff him!!  :'(

What the F, are you F ing insane??????   >:(  Do you want to get shot?????? flashbang

Was at the other end of the door, so I couldn't get back there fast enough, but was getting ready to pull my gun out, we all know how I am.  agreegif

I told her, please don't let him do that.  Doh1

What does she say to me, with a big smile on her face????  Oh...... its OK, she has cats at home.  :-*

What the F, does that have anything to do with it??????????bangshead
Geez, ever think, maybe he doesn't like doggies, or is afraid of them, which he ain't, and wood sooner give the doggie a big swipe, with his big paw and sharp claws.  :o

Just F ing amazing. cat2

She don't know, how close, she came, to me  TexasFlag pangif bumpgif......... ya don't want to know. 

What the F is it, with doggie peoples, at vettys???????????? dogstir1   

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: What is it with doggie people at the vets???
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »
I agree with you completely.  What DOES the dog having cats at home have to do with anything?  It doesn't change the fact that YOUR cat doesn't have a dog at home, and even if he did, that doesn't mean he likes YOUR dog.  And anyone with cats should understand that cats get super stressed going to the vet, let alone being poked at by strange dog noses.  Gah!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
I THINK people assume if a cat is in a carrier...all is well.   :-\

I don't allow any of my dogs to visit ANYONE at the vet's office.  In fact, they are always within inches of my side.  When I had small dogs, I held them.  They were also leashed.

A year-ish ago, I took 3 cats to the vets for someone.  3 VERY pizzed off cats.  They were all in carriers.  I couldn't carry all 3 carriers at once, so I had to make two trips from the car to the waiting room.  Short trips.  
In the waiting room, a woman had a child (under two) and a puppy.  She allowed her child to poke his fingers in the cat carriers!  I was stunned.  I put the carries as close to me as possible and as far away from the child that I could, but I had to keep a constant eye on HER child.  Go figure.  

Not only do I think the woman should have kept her child away from other pets, but a deaf person could have heard all the hissing and growling that was going on!  

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:17:30 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
People are idiots.

That is all.

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:45:17 PM »
It never fails, when Bump is at the vetty, in his carrier, all the doggie people zero in on him, let the leashes all the way out.  I usually tell them, he is a "show cat", in the tone, that their doggies are "beneath" him, that usually works.  But this happened so quick, and, I would have had to push Bump, towards the doggie, to get at the lady. It was done and over with, before I could react.   I guess I have to just face him towards me, when he is on the cart.

One time, the tech was bringing him out, in his carrier, on his cart, pass the doggie people, who are all milled around each other, doggies sniffing other doggies, leashes all tangled up, nobody payin any attention to their doggies, and the tech stopped in the middle of it, with Bump, lady wanted her doggie to see Bump, BECAUSE,
the doggie has cats at home, and likes cats.   

I stood up, and started yelling, and I mean yelling loud. All conversation in the waiting room stopped.
Then got home, and called my vet, told her what happened, she said it would not happen again.  It never has.
The techs actually look, and see, where the doggie people are, before they bring him back in. 

He is not afraid of doggies, he is not afraid of nothin, but...... I don;t know what that doggie is in there for, how sick the doggie is, or if the doggie should sneez on him, well that one, they would be a payin his vet bills if he should get sick.

If the kids are well behaved, I let them look at him, and the parent usually tells the kids do not touch him.
If the kids are running willy nilly all over the place, and not at all, listening to the parent, when the kids approach him, I said loudly, to the parent, looking them directly in the eyes, he bites, and he might be rapid.

The parent  can't yank the child away from him fast enough, works every time.   Bumpurr1 :D

TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:34:48 PM »
I don;t know what that doggie is in there for, how sick the doggie is, or if the doggie should sneez on him, well that one, they would be a payin his vet bills if he should get sick.

That is always one of my thoughts as well.  I don't want to be at the vet for one thing, and then have to have care for something my pet GOT while there.

Kinda reminds me of doctor's offices as well.  My human kids weren't allowed NEAR the toys or books in the waiting rooms.  

Your rabid comment...SCREAMING funny! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: