Author Topic: Jennie Jennie 4/2006- 1/28/19  (Read 22132 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Jennie Jennie 4/2006- 1/28/19
« on: February 01, 2019, 04:57:43 AM »
I don't know her exact birth date. April 2006 was a guess based on vet estimate of age at rescue.  I've just realized with a shock that she wasn't even 13. I thought she was almost 14, but I was doing the math wrong.

I woke up with Jennie sleeping at my back this morning.  Except she wasn't there when I reached for her. But there's comfort in those visits. I hope she comes again soon. I miss her so much. I just miss her so much.

One of my greatest comforts was how much Jennie enjoyed her raw diet. She lived to eat, Jennie LIVED to EAT,  and eating big raw chunks of meat and wings gave her such enormous pleasure satisfaction. I remember when I started her on wings it would take her a good five minutes to eat one.  It didn't take her long though to learn the skills, and soon they were only taking a minute or two.  funny2

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:35:39 PM by Lola, Reason: Changed message icon to a rainbow... :( »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Jennie Jennie 4/2006- 1/28/19
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:58:49 AM »
love1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 05:00:06 AM »
love1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:01:32 AM »
I've tried a number of times overr the years to get footage of Jennie's Supper Song and Dance.  I have a vague memory of getting some shots, but it will take me a while to sort through unlabeled videos to find them.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 01:21:08 PM »
Lots and LOTS of hugs!!!
At first, the subject line made me sad.  After watching the first video... all smiles.  Such joy to watch her!
Happy memories will eventually become the norm... as I am sure you already know.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »
Happy happy thoughts for Jennie. May many more be there for her.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 04:08:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing!   HeadButt HeadButt  Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 05:07:54 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Right now the memories are lingering over the weekend just passed.  The entire weekend was spent doing all Jennie's favorite things.  It wasn't planned ahead that way but it's the way things went, and of course now I know why.

I'll be coming in to share my favorite Jennie memories, other than what is posted in her Gotcha Day thread.

One of my favorites is Jennie learning to wear a harness for yard time. Jennie came in the fall, and as a rescued stray, had no interest at all in coming outside with the rest of us (It was Ootay, Tolly and Mazy cat then). She would sit in the window and watch us out in the yard but made no move to ask to join us.

Over the winter I helped her get used to the idea of a harness by draping hers over her while she was lying around, so it became hers.  After awhile I started putting it on her, and watch her flop to the floor, then take it off. 

Finally spring came and everyone lined up for their harnesses on our first day out. I put Jennie's on her too, and she flopped to the floor, as the rest of the cats paraded out.

After a while Jennie ventured out, in harness, dragging her string, with her back so low slung you'd think she was carrying a 50 pound weight.  She walked like that for a few days, but then began getting used to it and would forget and scamper around the yard, freely...until she saw me looking at her.

If she caught my glance, instantly her back would sag with the 50 pound weight again.  It was freaking hilarious!

Finally she forgot all about it and it became just part of being outside, but it took awhile.

It was that instant slump as soon as she saw me looking at her that has me smiling and giggling as I write this.

I miss her so much, I just miss her so much.

I hope she sleeps with me again tonight. Or I wouldn't mind seeing her in dreams either.

After Tolly left I had this dream about Tolly and at least 30 other red cats milling around.  They were all in my childhood bedroom.  I think Tolly was showing me what a fun time he was having meeting al the other red cats in heaven. I do love a ginger cat!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 07:21:46 AM »
Any Jennie visits last night?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 09:24:40 AM »
Her precious little face did come to me when I woke this morning but I didn't feel her sleeping there. I guess she must be very busy in heaven reuniting with Tolly and Ootay and meeting Bibbs (who sent her to us) and Squeaky and Baby and Sissy.

Queen Eva is still very unsettled and still looking for Jennie.  Mazy cat SEEMS to be herself but she is a deep cat and I am watching her carefully.

I removed Jennie's Meal Spot table Thursday night. Litter boxes have to be dumped and replaced this weekend. Jennie's special bedding* has all been bundled up to be washed and put away, but no other changes will be made.

*Special bedding is the towels and squares of old sheet I cut up and sewed together to cover my bed and certain other spots Jennie liked to use, that would be difficult to clean.

Jennie story:

It took a long time for Jennie to let me know what her Game was. Considering her early home life before she was abandoned was most likely not very nice (based on her early behavior here) I suspect no one ever played with her much.  Her favorite group Game was to bust up a Game when I was on the floor playing with the others.

She would sit and watch us play, and -master of timing- just at the right moment, burst around the corner and crash right through us.  It was hilarious.  And, not so oddly enough, a very similar Game to one Bibbs (Angel) used to play. Since Bibbs sent us Jennie it's not surprising they had similar qualities, which I am leading to...Jennie's own personal Game turned out to be...being patted with a fly swatter, on the bed.  The fly swatter patting was ALSO Bibbs's favorite thing!

So Jennie finally somehow got me to understand that she liked to have a fly swatter session on the bed (aerating the cat I called it haha!) and then she had a String, just this one special boot lace, that she liked to chase around the bed.

She liked me to pile up the down comforter in winter and drag the string along the top so she could pounce on it and sink into the comforter.  In summer she liked to skid across the top of the sheets while chasing it.

That was Jennie's interactive Game.  I've tried over the years to get video of it and I may have some earlier ones, but the only one I have to share right now is the one I took the very last time she played this Game, Sunday January 27.  She was no longer chasing her String (boot lace) by then, but still enjoying being aerated. Of course I sing her song to her during these sessions as well. She used to sing back.

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
Yes, they do come to check on us ...

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 06:59:30 AM »
Jennie had some...heart stopping...ways of entertaining herself.  I don't know how often she did this, I only saw her do it the one time I managed to catch it on camera (before I had a camera with video) but I am sure she kept it up for many years.  In fact it was only a few months ago I saw her over there on that heater, and I was afraid she was going to try to leap and I encouraged her to come down. I dind't know if she could still make it and the drop to the stairs is long.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:12:47 PM by Lola, Reason: Added a picture of OP »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 07:04:43 AM »
Well boo hoo.  The leap/landing picture did not come through.  I downloaded these from photobucket last night because they are threatening to delete my pictures if I don't pay, or reduce my content. So I downloaded this series, then deleted the folder.  But for some reason that one picture didn't come through.  You still get the idea, but it's the leap that is the most heart stopping.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 05:36:17 PM »
Without the leap/landing photo I suppose that sequence is difficult to understand. The heater she is on is suspended on the wall over the stairs.  The stairs are encompassed by a half-wall.  Jennie used to walk along the heater then leap into empty space up and across and land on the end of the wall that wraps around.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 10:04:50 PM »
Cats are quite the gymnasts/acrobats, aren't they?   HeadButt
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: