Author Topic: Cleaning the oven  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Cleaning the oven
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:34:14 AM »
The spray nozzle on the can of oven cleaner stopped working before I finished spraying.

Considering I haven't cleaned it in years, and use it often, I was suprised how not as dirty as I expected, it is.  but I roasted a chicken last week and something (fat no doubt) popped in there and splattered and the oven smokes every time I turn it on now.  I know that goes away in time, (I know this from experience, haha) but I don't feel like having the oven smoke every time I turn it on for the foreseeable future.

I have a toaster oven but since I have so little counter space it's a pain to use, I have to take it from it's shelf, set it up, plug it in., losing all counter space in the process.  When finished, wait for it to cool, and put it back on it's shelf. Easier to use the oven.

It's cold oven non scented cleaner.  It IS non scented, but of course I did breathe some in (through my nose) and now my nose feels singed. 

Of course I also got some of the cleaner on the heating elements.  I think they can be removed but I wasn't sure how so I left them in.  I never have taken them out when cleaning an oven so I guess that will be okay.  I'll just turn the oven on after and let it burn off.

The two racks are soaking in the tub with hot water and Palmolive.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Cleaning the oven
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 06:11:25 PM »
Luckily, mine has a cleaning mode, but I only use it when it's cold outside and heat is needed in the house. Made the mistake of doing it once in summer, and the kitchen was ridiculous despite the AC running at full force.

All I do is take the racks out, and then turn it to the cleaning setting. It locks the doors and gets hotter than hades. Then when I wake up the next morning, and make sure it's completely cool, I take the vacuum hose to it and suck up all the ash that's left behind, then wipe it down with a sponge.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:26:35 AM »
But doesn't it smoke, using self cleaning mode? I mean, as it burns all the stuff off? Do you have to disconnect the smoke alarm?

I've never had a self cleaning oven. I'm not sure I could tolerate that kind of intensive smoke, even overnight.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 07:47:29 AM »
I have a self-cleaning oven.  I have never had smoke or any horrible smells.  BUT I only clean the oven during winter months, due to the extensive heat.  I also keep a sliding glass door, that is in the dining room area near the kitchen, open during the cleaning. 
I remember reading that the smells COULD be dangerous to pets.  I think birds are more likely to be affected. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
Mine has never smoked. Something inside of it locks everything. It just puts off intense heat that you can't stand in warmer months.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »

So there must be some kind of exhaust system for self cleaning ovens?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:47:07 AM »
So there must be some kind of exhaust system for self cleaning ovens?

Some kind of smells must get out, or it wouldn't be so dangerous for birds.  We had two birds, on two different occasions, and both died mysteriously.  I didn't know about the self-cleaning oven and bird connection waaaaay back then.  I often wondered if that was the reason for their deaths. 

Smell or no smell, that is why I always make sure to have doors open during the process... just in case. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »
Even without smell there will be fumes from an oven at such high heats burning off stuff.  There has to be.  Off to look it up...

Hmmm...

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/dangers-selfcleaning-oven-79047.html

http://blog.mollymaid.com/2016/11/16/ok-use-ovens-self-cleaning-mode/

Considering I only clean the oven once every 10 or 15 years I guess I won't worry about ever needing a self cleaner.

The easy-off cleaner I used, while undoubtedly toxic, did not smell, worked very well and quickly.   I sprayed the cold oven, waited 2 hours and almost everything simply wiped right off.

I did run the oven on it's highest heat, alternating between oven and broiler, twice, to ensure every trace of cleaner was burned off, after.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
I'm the kind of person that puts trays under things that might bubble over, so mine is very rarely cleaned. I've had this particular stove for 14 years now, and I've cleaned it a total of 3 times. I only do it if it starts having strange smells when I cook. I cleaned it twice at the other house, and once in this house.

It's the 2nd stove I've had in our whole marriage, and the first wasn't self-cleaning. I like this self-cleaning one a whole lot more because I'm just not fond of those cleaners.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »
Like you Dee I always put a drip tray underneath. The only reason I needed to clean it really was because of the fat that exploded last time I roasted a chicken.  Usually when I roast a chicken I can burn off the splattered fat after by letting the oven run a bit, until it stops smoking but this time it must have been a lot, because there was just too much smoke.

It really wasn't very dirty at all.  The only stuff that didn't come off was the stuff that was baked on when I moved in here, that didn't come off the last time I cleaned it either.

Tags: