Author Topic: Devastating news By Nature Organics has discontinued Mazy cat's food  (Read 12105 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Devastating news By Nature Organics has discontinued Mazy cat's food
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 04:19:36 PM »
Where did you see that By Nature announcement Lola?  It's an explanation, but of course still makes me desperately unhappy.

Throughout my day today I kept getting this feeling of anxiety.  then I would have to stop and think why.  Then I would remember.

Odd that Rad Cat is not having any trouble obtaining organic turkey.

It was their response to me, asking them if it was discontinued. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 04:38:15 PM »
Yep, all gone.  Even the ones that come up on search, when you click on "add to cart" an "out of stock" pops up.

I have enough to last during a transition to something else. 

I *think* I saw some in a pet store here a few weeks ago.  I'm probably going there this weekend again...if by chance they do have the right kind would you want me to get it and send it to you?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 04:39:37 PM »
Have you tried Evanger's? Not one of my favorite companies after some expose I saw, but Evanger's has some chicken that's supposed to be just chicken and guar gum--they say it's not complete, but I don't see why it wouldn't be complete for a cat except for the vitamins that don't seem to have been added back, but if it kept her alive...
http://www.evangersdogfood.com/?p=cat_gamemeats

Other than that, the only idea I'm left with is to buy organic chicken and turkey, put it in one of the newer Ninja blenders that purees things, and then cook it. Maybe if it were completely pureed and cooked, she could digest it?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 05:40:07 PM »
can she eat the turkey and turkey liver?
http://www.amazon.com/NATURE-392273-24-Pack-Turkey-5-5-Ounce/dp/B009LJMEZK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SNBM8DFS75N9SBH6C59

Kind of pricey, and I doubt they will have them for very long, but this could at least give you an opportunity to stock up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:58:23 PM by Amber »

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 06:52:08 AM »
Thank you everyone for the wonderful support!  My By Nature contact has been trying to help me too, with other brand suggestions.  Unfortunately they are all brands I have already researched.

Apparently they have no plans to discontinue the By Nature Organic Chicken so I am going to try transitioning Mazy to that. Mazy has strict limitations, for one thing, but she also cannot tolerate variety.  That's the big issue for her.  I can't feed her a wide range of foods in the event that her food disappears, because her body just cannot handle it

I used to give her the By Nature Organic chicken but it didn't seem to agree with her.  I thought it was the liver. Maybe it was just because it was variety.  Once she is on it and only it (along with the Rad Cat) maybe it will be okay.  I have about 7 cases of the chicken&turkey so the transition can go very slowly. I just hope doing a slow transition is the right way to do it, since it means more variety.  Rather than an abrupt change leaving her eating only the new food I mean.

If I am making any sense.

Feline's Pride is not organic and contains bone, and she does have the Rad Cat raw (organic and uses organic egg shell calcium). Evangers, I won't touch it, and in fact will not be buying Wild Calling again (for the other girls) because WC uses an Evangers plant and has no plans to change (I wrote and asked)

According to Becky (my BN contact) they have no plans to bring back the turkey&chicken or the turkey&liver.

I am going to have to come up with other foods for Queen Eva and Jennie, especially Queen Eva, but their requirements are not so limited.  They can eat non organic. My biggest problem there is Queen Eva is a finicky little thing. I am trying her on the Tiki again.  In the past, the Thailand foods have given her diarrhea, but desperation has made me try again.  She likes the Tiki, and so far I've only given her tiny servings of it.

I've got to go reading Dr Pierson's list again, to find some lower carb foods to try for those two

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
You aren't a fan of Evangers because.....?
Wild Calling using Evangers' plant is an issue because...?

I know of a few cats that LOVE Tiki.  My bunch acted like I was trying to poison them.  Weird how different cats react to different foods. 

Good luck, MC.  (((hugs)))

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
You aren't a fan of Evangers because.....?
Wild Calling using Evangers' plant is an issue because...?

I remember now what the story was about. Evanger's can labels said one thing. What was tested inside of the cans said something else.

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/opps-more-to-the-evangers-story

And there was also an issue of felony theft:

http://www.aplus-flint-river-ranch.com/frrblog/evangers-dog-food-and-cat-food-ownersfacing-felony-charges.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:40:35 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »
I don't like Evangers because they have been proven to be dishonest. In addition to the info Dee has posted there was the issue with recalls from food not being what it was stated to be, nad the rusty can issue just recently. Some of the Wild Calling I bought had rusty cans and when I asked them about it they said it was because they were canned in a "damp" area or something, then later a lot of cans were taken back pet supply stores because of rust.

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/evangers-canned-pet-food

Just too much dishonesty. When companies lie, they don't just stick the the lies they are found out about.  I feel there are many other dishonest practices that haven't come to light yet.

So until Wild Calling finds another plant for making and packing their pet foods, they don't get any more of my money.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »
Thanks DeeDee and MC for the info.  Sooooo difficult to remember so many details about every company...for me anyway. 
I don't feed Evangers, but I do feed Wild Calling rabbit.  I haven't seen any rusted cans ... yet. 
I agree, with you both, about the dishonesty factor.   :(

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 11:49:16 AM »
I second Shadow's suggestion about possibly trying home-cooked, since she has tolerance issues.  That way you can control the ingredients, and it might be a little easier for her to handle.

I think Amber was looking for a good, balanced home-cooked recipe, but I'm not sure if she ever found one.

grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 01:13:17 PM »

I think Amber was looking for a good, balanced home-cooked recipe, but I'm not sure if she ever found one.

grouphug

So far, this is the only recipe I know of: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood#The_Recipe

I think I'd take that recipe, cook it, then add the additives in it since she can't stand eating any of the raw formulas all the time.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:14:51 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
So far, this is the only recipe I know of: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood#The_Recipe

I think I'd take that recipe, cook it, then add the additives in it since she can't stand eating any of the raw formulas all the time.

That might be do-able as long as she doesn't grind the bone with the meat/organs, and instead replaces the bone with eggshell for calcium.  Feeding cooked bone = BIG no no.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 11:05:15 PM »
Other than using a premix like TC feline or (possibly) Alnutrin with cooked meat, I haven't found a balanced, cooked recipe. Even cooking the meat with Dr. Pierson's recipe probably wouldn't work, because taurine isn't the only amino acid that is destroyed by heat. You'd have to add an amino acid complex.

Tags: