Author Topic: Same Food - Different Ingredients List  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Same Food - Different Ingredients List
« on: December 04, 2014, 07:36:01 AM »
I was asked about Natures Variety Instinct.  It (canned version) was in our rotation at one time, but isn't anymore.  And of course ....I don't remember exactly why.  *sigh*  I remember the rabbit is sourced from China.  (New info:  Rabbit is sourced from France.)
Anyway, I was looking up the ingredients.  I just picked chicken, because it was the first flavor I ran across.  This is what I found:

Chewy.com - 21.99 for 12-5.5 oz cans
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Ground Flaxseeds, Montmorillonite Clay,  Eggs, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.

PetfoodDirect.com - 21.49 for 12-5.5 oz
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Flaxseed, Tricalcium Phosphate, Eggs, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.

PetFlow.com -  22.99 for 12-5.5 oz
Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Flaxseed, Tricalcium Phosphate, Eggs, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.

I know companies can use the same label for 6 months, after a change in ingredients.  My guess would be that they removed the Montmorillonite Clay.  I wonder how long ago. UPDATE:  The PetFlow info is incorrect.  All their foods contain Montmorillonite Clay - per their company rep. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:13:28 PM by Lola, Reason: update »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Same Food - Different Ingredients List
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:08:40 AM »
I was asked about Natures Variety Instinct.  It (canned version) was in our rotation at one time, but isn't anymore.  And of course ....I don't remember exactly why.  *sigh*  I remember the rabbit is sourced from China. 

According to the specialty pet food store I go to, Nature's Variety is now sourcing their rabbit from France.  I haven't confirmed that, though.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:48:42 PM »
According to the specialty pet food store I go to, Nature's Variety is now sourcing their rabbit from France.  I haven't confirmed that, though.

I heard that too, a year or so ago.

Interesting about the removal of the clay, they defended it so long. it was in EVERYTHING they produced, including raw.  I wonder if they are all clay-free now.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »
As far as the clay (and the same chicken one shown above), their own website shows this:

Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Eggs, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-CalciumPantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley

I guess I could email them and ask.  No clay and no carrageenan and possibly no China.  Low in carbs.  As much as I really do NOT like to recommend brands, because who knows what will change when... there are worse choices. 

EDIT:  I emailed them.  I asked if the non-clay ingredients list was correct.  I also asked them if they still source their rabbit from China.  I should hear back within two business days.  When I do, I will let you know! 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:44:51 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »
Good-o.  My problem with NV is their heavy use of fruits and veggies, and their customer service.  In my experience, they get very snooty when challenged. That may have been only one person, but when I complained about the service, I received no response.

Another thing to note, and this is just anecdotal, back three years ago when I was still experimenting with canned foods for Mazy cat, the NV cans made her urine pH shoot up to 8.

Jennie is the only one who could eat NV (Mazy can't, Queen Eva won't) in this house so I long ago gave away all that I had and never bought more.

I am going to need some new foods soon though.  The back stock of By Nature Organic turkey and turkey&chicken is almost gone.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
EDIT:  I emailed them.  I asked if the non-clay ingredients list was correct.  I also asked them if they still source their rabbit from China.  I should hear back within two business days.  When I do, I will let you know! 

Thanks, Lola!   :-* HeadButt I hope they're not getting the rabbit from China anymore.  I do feed it and the chicken because they don't have carageenan and Pookie (knock wood) tolerates them, but I'd feel much better if I knew the rabbit was not from China.

Good-o.  My problem with NV is their heavy use of fruits and veggies

The carrots and peas are usually large enough that you can just pick them out, which is what I do.   :)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:37:45 PM »
Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley

It's the list at the bottom that bugs me.  What's the point you know? Surely it's just to make the numbers come out right on the GA, and to smoke screen humans how still believe vegetables and fruits make a cat food healthy, because it's a healthy diet for humans
I'm not commenting on you using it Pookie.  I am sure it is probably just as good a food as the By Nature Organic, or any of the other canned foods I feed.  It just bugs me, that's all.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 05:50:46 AM »
Thanks, Lola!   :-* HeadButt I hope they're not getting the rabbit from China anymore.  I do feed it and the chicken because they don't have carageenan and Pookie (knock wood) tolerates them, but I'd feel much better if I knew the rabbit was not from China.

The carrots and peas are usually large enough that you can just pick them out, which is what I do.   :)

Like you always say... we do the best we can.  :) 
So many times we have to choose between the lessor of the "evils."  The cat and various circumstances are often the deciding factor.  For me anyway. 
When I fed NV, sometimes I would smash up the peas and carrots.  Sometimes I picked them out.  Sometimes the cats picked them out for me... by leaving them on their plates. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »
Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley

It's the list at the bottom that bugs me.  What's the point you know? Surely it's just to make the numbers come out right on the GA, and to smoke screen humans how still believe vegetables and fruits make a cat food healthy, because it's a healthy diet for humans
I'm not commenting on you using it Pookie.  I am sure it is probably just as good a food as the By Nature Organic, or any of the other canned foods I feed.  It just bugs me, that's all.

I agree... the ingredients list (in most pet foods) is for the humans, not the actual animal.  Sticking to the ingredients list only...think of how much more BS goes on with kibble. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
So many times we have to choose between the lessor of the "evils."  The cat and various circumstances are often the deciding factor.  For me anyway. 
When I fed NV, sometimes I would smash up the peas and carrots.  Sometimes I picked them out.  Sometimes the cats picked them out for me... by leaving them on their plates. 

thumbsup1 Yep.  Pookie determines what I feed, no matter what I think of the ingredients.  If I had my way, he wouldn't be getting the Wellness Core, but he loves some of them so they're in the rotation. *sigh*

Sometimes the cats picked them out for me... by leaving them on their plates. 

funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Good And Bad News From Natures Variety Instinct
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »
Hi Lola,

Thank you for writing!

Our rabbit is sourced from France. Montmorillonite Clay is an ingredient in all of our diets. So, what is on our website is correct. Thank you for letting us know and we will work with PetFlow and other online retailers to get the correct ingredients listed.

Sincerely,
Kim

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 08:52:32 PM »
Our rabbit is sourced from France. 

multistars multistars multistars

Thank you so much for checking, Lola!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 12:17:32 PM »
I told the person that I wasn't fond of montmorillonite clay.  There are better foods and there are a lot worse foods... one of the main reasons I always rotate brands. 
It really stinks when a person is interested in feeding wet... and then not being able to recommend (100%) any brand! 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 12:18:21 PM »
multistars multistars multistars

Thank you so much for checking, Lola!

You are welcome! 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »

It really stinks when a person is interested in feeding wet... and then not being able to recommend (100%) any brand! 

Ummm. . .raw's wet.  HeeHeeHee 

(Sorry, Lola. Couldn't resist that.)
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."