Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 8802 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
What are you reading?
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:50:24 AM »
Definitely gotta have a book thread.  Or a child board if Admin thinks it warrants.

I am currently reading War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk.  I finished Winds of War last week, then read two short story anthologies by Alice Munro, and a novel by another author that I have now forgotten the name of.  I needed a little break after Winds of War before starting War and Remembrance.

I read both back in high school, and got a hankering to read them again. 

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 10:57:02 AM »
I recently finished reading the books by Helen Thayer - Walking the Gobi, Polar Dream, and Three Among the Wolves.

Now I am starting "Cowboy for a Rainy Afternoon" by Stephen Bly.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:44:53 AM »
I'm a Autobiography and non-fiction reader mostly.  I have Betty White's book sitting in my "library," waiting for me to pick it up.
I recently enjoyed Heaven Is For Real.  (Yes, I believe...just not a very good example of a believer, so I don't say too much on the subject.  angel5)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:26:09 AM »
Still reading War and Rembrance by Herman Wouk.  It's tough going, even when I skip over all the political stuff.  It deals graphically with the murder camps, notably Auschwitz, so is giving me some nightmares. Also reading a book of short stories by Alice Munro, when I need a break from the other.  Her stories aren't exactly rainbows and butterflies though.  Geesh, after this I am going to need to re read some Dragon Riders of Pern books just for relief! Or maybe an Anne Tyler, she always makes me laugh.

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »
Last night I read, "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Lee Dugard. I followed her case closely so I really wanted to read this. If you recall she was abducted on her way to school when she was 11 and held captive for 18 years in the backyard of Phillip and Nancy Garrido.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »
I had heard she had released a book.  Was it .....horrible?  I'm having a rough enough time with the Holocaust, I don't know if I can handle Jaycee's story.

Offline KatieAndMe

• Yapper
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 11:10:29 PM »
Her recovery using horses is so incredible that it really isn't the downer I thought it would be. For me the unknown was the worse part and I had imagined even more horrific events. I was on a sleuthing forum when she was found and we thought there may have been more than the Garridos involved in multiple child abductions. So it was good to know that wasn't the case here. She was kept less than 2 miles from where I live now so it was very personal.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »
Last night I read, "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Lee Dugard. I followed her case closely so I really wanted to read this. If you recall she was abducted on her way to school when she was 11 and held captive for 18 years in the backyard of Phillip and Nancy Garrido.

Thanks!  I put it on my "to read" list.  I always have an ongoing list for books to buy from Amazon... or Costco.  

Years ago, I had read a book about girl/woman that was abducted.  She got away eventually. She was kept (for mannnnny hours) under a water bed.  (The long hollow area in between the drawers.)  There were other horrific details, but the bed was one detail I never forgot.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 07:31:56 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »
I finally picked up the 2nd edition of "Could It Be B12?"  I have the 1st edition already and just started reading the 2nd edition.  I HIGHLY recommend this book (it's written in a way that the average person can understand--no medical background needed).  The problems caused by B12 deficiency are astounding.

Just some background:  I was looking into an alternative therapy to help Pookie's sister and had a book about a similar treatment.  In it, the author went into great detail about what each vitamin does for the body.  Unfortunately, things got worse for my little girl and I could no longer take care of her, but then my cousin started having a lot of health problems.  I checked the book and it seemed like these things were related to B12 deficiency, so I then bought the 1st ed. of Could It Be B12.  The authors also have a website:  http://b12awareness.org/ and Finnlacey mentions this book on her site, ibdkitties.net.  B12 deficiency can affect our kitties, too.  Pookie's sister started smacking her lips and burping about a year before I gave her up, which started the journey of looking at alternative medicine.  A month after I  gave her up, she had a siezure (I'm leaving out a lot of details here, but it's possible there was something going on neurologically).  About 6 months after I let her go, Pookie began the burping/lip smacking.  By then I'd read this book and I started adding a B12 supplement to his food.  Knock wood, after 4 months, he's not burping or smacking his lips anymore.  It also seems his stools are even smaller than before, which makes me think it's helping him absorb more from his food.

No, I'm not a medical professional, but when I was in middle school, I would have fainting and dizzy spells.  Tests found nothing wrong.  The school nurse recommended niacinimide (a form of B3), which did the trick.  So I know from personal experience how a vitamin issue can really cause problems.

Sorry for the long post, and I do read less "heavy" stuff, but I really wanted to share this with everyone.  And it IS "what I'm reading."   :D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »
OT..BUT a response to Pookie.  Does that keep me out of the bath house?  ;)

I recently started taking this "super" B12.  It is supposed to be better because it dissolves under the tongue.  (Less body travel time.) I have noticed a difference, as far as energy and stamina.  
http://www.trivita.com/Web/US/content/products/product-detail.aspx?id=3740

PS
I mentioned humans taking vitamins because Pookie mentioned taking niacinimide for herself.  Just in case anyone thinks my response was waaaay out in left field. lol

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:28:30 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
I gave B complex and B-12 shots to me little CRF girlie for her last few months.  It really helped her appetite.  Lets get a thread started in the cat cares section, I want to talk more about this.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
I find it interesting that the authors of the B12 book (Sally M. Pacholok, R.N., B.S.N. and Jeffrey J. Stuart, D.O.) are having the same frustrations in getting the word out, that those of us who advocate against dry-feeding run into.  From the Foreword, written by Dr. Chandy:

"Is there a deliberate conspiracy to suppress and discredit this knowledge and the people who have been battling to bring this to the world's attention? Who is currently profiting from blocking this simple, innocuous treatment of a vitamin deficiency?  This treatment can save patients from a miserable existence which eventually leads to a slow, painful, and premature death."  And:  "It is a huge challenge to change entrenched medical ideas..."

In the preface to the 2nd edition, the authors write:  "Not only is most of the health care community still apathetic about this disorder, but so are the government, the media, and the insurance industry . .  . "  "There is a pattern of ignorance and accepted neglect regarding vitamin B12 deficiency that must change.  Unfortunately, the only avenue may be the courtroom.  Million-dollar malpractice settlements are now being awarded to injured B12-deficient victims.  But prevention is a far better solution for everyone."

Gee, we'd only need to change a few of those words and that could apply to the folks trying to get the word out about the dangers of dry-feeding!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 03:57:43 PM »
I recently started taking this "super" B12.  It is supposed to be better because it dissolves under the tongue.  (Less body travel time.) I have noticed a difference, as far as energy and stamina.  
http://www.trivita.com/Web/US/content/products/product-detail.aspx?id=3740

The sub-lingual version (the kind that go under the tongue) are better because it's absorbed directly into the bloodstream, rather than having to go through the GI system.  That's especially important in the case of B12 because it gets absorbed in the intestines, so if you have absorption issues, you may not get what you need from a supplement that's swallowed.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 10:27:51 PM »
The sub-lingual version (the kind that go under the tongue) are better because it's absorbed directly into the bloodstream, rather than having to go through the GI system.  That's especially important in the case of B12 because it gets absorbed in the intestines, so if you have absorption issues, you may not get what you need from a supplement that's swallowed.

Yeah, that is what I meant.  ;)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 09:26:41 AM »
I'm reading in the world of Pern.  Anne McCaffrey created the world and the people in it, there are I think at least 30 books (all of which I own).  But her son has taken over, and while writing about the same world, he writes from a slightly different angle.  He is an excellent writer, builds suspense like a master, and I greatly enjoy his version of Pern and it's inhabitants.

I like to read this kind of series in order, the first three are re reads:

Dragon's Kin (collaboration between Anne and Todd McCaffrey) (have read 3 times)

Dragon's Blood (Todd McCaffrey) fantastic can't put it down read (have read three times)

Dragon's Fire (second read and where I am currently in the six book series, also a collaboration)

the next three

Dragon Harper (collaboration)
Dragon  Heart
Dragongirl

I have not yet read these, I've been saving them for this summer's reading.   So far, the book Todd wrote alone is better than the ones he collaborated with his mother on.

Tags: