Author Topic: I've joined the ranks of the crazy. . .  (Read 1592 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
I've joined the ranks of the crazy. . .
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:28:48 PM »
Yep. Next it will be a stroller or something else equally crazy.

Barkly can't see out of my new car. He drools a LOT when I have him strapped into the seat. SO, after he used a box to sit on during the ride home from KY, and was smiling the whole time, I came home and ordered one of these:

http://www.khmfg.com/bucket-booster.html

I liked this one better because there's no way for the seat to slip out of the seat-belt if there's an accident--the way I saw some of them do in crash tests. The belt goes all the way through the seat. It just came in today. The large fits him perfectly. I realize this isn't the best way to transport a dog, but he drools SO much. I've been waiting for him to vomit every time I have to take him somewhere. Heavy drooling is one of the first signs of car-sickness. I just want him to be able to see out again so he quits it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:30:24 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: I've joined the ranks of the crazy. . .
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »
How wonderful! I can't wait to hear how he likes it! Take a picture!  Wait..when did you get a new car?  I don't remember seeing it mentioned in the buying a vehicle thread.  Just my Elsa and Lola's new truck?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:34:34 PM »
How wonderful! I can't wait to hear how he likes it! Take a picture!  Wait..when did you get a new car?  I don't remember seeing it mentioned in the buying a vehicle thread.  Just my Elsa and Lola's new truck?

Yes. I got a Mustang GT convertible last year on May 31st. It wasn't new, but was from a rental company in FL like my Mitsu was. Only had 18K miles on it. The trunk is MUCH better than the Camaro convertible. What can I say? Us southern girls just like muscle cars, and I couldn't get one when I got my Mitsu thanks to having a 16 year-old male in the house.

I've been dealing with this drooling issue for a year now. Glad it's over. I'll try to get a photo of them sometime in their car-gear.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 08:22:44 PM »
Wow.  Nice ride!  The car's nice, too.   Silly7

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I really meant the car.   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:30:35 PM »
I don't think a stroller is crazy.  I looked at them for quite a while.... to take a cat (or two) on walks.
I LIKE the bucket booster!  Not crazy either.  I would do that in a heart beat... to keep flying fur in one place.  Can a dog still be seat belted in? 

DeeDee bought MY dream car in MY favorite color.  Pffft
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 09:08:31 PM »
Wow.  Nice ride!  The car's nice, too.   Silly7

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I really meant the car.   :)

LOL. Thank you.

I don't think a stroller is crazy.  I looked at them for quite a while.... to take a cat (or two) on walks.
I LIKE the bucket booster!  Not crazy either.  I would do that in a heart beat... to keep flying fur in one place.  Can a dog still be seat belted in? 

DeeDee bought MY dream car in MY favorite color.  Pffft

The dog can have one or two (It's actually set to be able to hold two SMALL dogs) short leash-straps, that are in the seat, to restrain them, but not still strapped through his car-harness. That's the one thing I hated about it, and why I held off so long doing anything about it. But he's seemed so miserable riding that I'll just have to pray to keep being safe. Vlad has to have the whole back seat to himself, so that's not an option. 

https://www.kurgo.com/dog-seat-belts/direct-to-seat-belt-tether/ keeps Vlad from jumping out when the top's down, because he's so much larger than Dannyboy was that trying to get the seat-belt through his harness is REALLY hard and makes him REALLY uncomfortable looking--which makes him more stressed and stress isn't good.

In my defense, I had NO idea what Lola's dream car was when I got it. All that was in my mind was, "Convertible. Measuring tape says Vlad fits. Not remotely like anyone else in town. Fast. Larger trunk space. Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »
I used a similar seat belt.  Strap attaches to harness and then to seat belt do hickey.  Looks like that can still be done with the seat.... assuming dog stays in seat.  ?? 

No defense required about your choice of car!!  I'm just glad someone owns one. :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 10:30:12 AM »
I used a similar seat belt.  Strap attaches to harness and then to seat belt do hickey.  Looks like that can still be done with the seat.... assuming dog stays in seat.  ?? 

These photos show how the inside of the seat is. You have to remove the cushion to put the seat-belt through the seat, and it has those leash attachments coming out from the strap that the seat-belt goes into. I plan on hooking both of those leash straps to his car-harness:

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
Makes a lot of sense to have pooch safe. I had a furry under the break pedal once. Once! Is there a similar set up for husbands when they are involuntary passengers?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 03:11:55 PM »
Is there a similar set up for husbands when they are involuntary passengers?

Depends on the size of his rear-end.   Silly7

Tags: