Author Topic: Some pre-surgery questions  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Some pre-surgery questions
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 12:37:33 PM »
So glad to see the update and to ehar he is eating!  Well done!  Can't talk now, just home to feed the cats for lunch.xxx

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »
Thanks, Dee, I am breathing a little easier.  It was the first 24 hours that had me freaking, since I had no idea what to expect or how he'd handle the medications.  I would love to give the ginger, etc. for the anti-inflammatory properties, but I've always heard you shouldn't give herbs to cats.  The inulin would be a concern, too.  I tend to think for cats, the best route is usually to keep it simple.

I just emailed the holistic vet to ask how much goat milk and bone broth he should get each day.  I'll be interested to see her reply.   :D

I forgot to mention, he also had 9 (yes 9  :() resorptive lesions.   :'(

I also forgot to mention that I asked about his bloodwork when I checked him in.  I wanted to find out if his white blood cell count was elevated, to indicate infection.  I didn't get to see the paperwork, but the person said it was normal.  Later when I picked him up, I asked the tech "how bad was the infection in his mouth," and she made it sound like there isn't an infection.  So I'm not entirely convinced he needs the antibiotic, but I'll give it to him since both the regular and holistic vets made it sound like he would definitely need it.  Maybe it's preventative, I'm not sure.  I'm not happy about giving it to him, but it sounds like they're being cautious and I can't fault them for that.

MC, when you have time, would you mind starting a thread about the questions to ask (and what you recommend) before a dental, specifically about the anesthesia and stitches, etc.?  I think that information would be really helpful for others who come here.   :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:26:17 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 04:16:44 PM »
Good idea about the thread.  Son gald he is doing well.  Does he show any signs of pain?  Vets always say the cat "will sleep it off" but I have never had a cat want to sleep after coming home from general anesthesia, even before sevoflurane.  I think they feel so weirrd it makes them restless.  Tolly used to try to jump up on things but he would jump straight up in the air instead of at an angle so of course he got nowhere.

Mazy, her first anesthesia ever, for her ears last year, kept trying to CLIMB the downstairs entry door.

Anyway sounds like Pookie is doing great and I hope you are feeling better too.

Can't spend time on the computer tonight, got chores to do.

xxx

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
How is everything going Pookie?  Are you able to get the buprenix in his mouth?  Probably he isn't needing it any more by now. Thinking of you.xx

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 06:00:20 PM »
Glad to hear Pookie is doing better.  Hope all is STILL going well!! 
Is he eating okay?  Pretty much back to normal?  All meds and such going okay?
The vet and/or receptionist SHOULD give you a copy of his test results.  I always have to ask.   ::)  I'm guessing it isn't the "norm" for a person to want copies. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: