Author Topic: So, what do you think?  (Read 1279 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
So, what do you think?
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:07:33 PM »
http://www.pet360.com/dog/nutrition/what-is-gmo-food-for-pets/2LlW3Iwrik2MvegksbvNvg?roi=echo3-21010416969-20485260-35b237a4f98daa852457bec890143fd2&email=vladbarklydee@gmail.com&utm_campaign=Promotions-Topic-FactVsFake-EmailProspects&utm_source=Combo-User-Promotions&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=WeeklyTopic_6-18-14_FactVsFake_EmailProspects&extcid=EML1113

This article is about GMOs, and the first comment below the article says that GMO corn is in World's Best Cat Litter and cites it as some cats having kidney problems after use.

GMO corn is also found in World's Best Cat Litter. Some folks are really upset about this new change. Apparently there has been some connection with kidney problems in cats using this litter. I have contacted WBCL to find out more about this connection.

So, what do you think? Personally, not knowing what those cats ate, etc., I don't think I could blame it on cat litter, though I try to keep GMOs out of our lives as much as possible. Hamsters with hairy mouths and shriveled gonads creeped me out enough when I saw them years ago. I don't want to see anything crazy like that in any of us--dogs included.

Edit: Please note, per the directive at the end of the article, asking my vet about feeding my dogs is the last thing that's ever going to happen.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:10:47 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: So, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:16:57 PM »
That is one litter that I never tried.  I read enough stories about it attracting ants and other not so good experiences...enough for me to stay away from it. 

MOST pet sites "have" to mention they are not the "professional," and recommend contacting a vet if or because......   
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 12:35:17 AM »
Not only does it contain GMO but also aflatoxins when it gets wet.  bangshead
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 05:35:45 AM »
It's horrible stuff, in my opinion.  And it leads to people buying "chick feed" instead because it's cheaper.  Then the risk is raised because many chick feeds are treated with antibiotics.  But people just don't think.

I actually did try this litter during my litter experimentation stage. For one day. Queen Eva ate it and puked it up.  Then ate it again.  I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, and decided I didn't like the idea of using food as litter anyway.

I "try" to avoid GMO but I don't think labeling has to indicate it so it's hard to know.  I did find some GMO popcorn, and OH my what a difference.  One time I ran out and had to buy orville redenbackers again and it made me so sick I brought it back.  I checked their website and they fall all over themselves there defending GMO foods.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
It's horrible stuff, in my opinion.  And it leads to people buying "chick feed" instead because it's cheaper.  Then the risk is raised because many chick feeds are treated with antibiotics.  But people just don't think.

I actually did try this litter during my litter experimentation stage. For one day. Queen Eva ate it and puked it up.  Then ate it again.  I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, and decided I didn't like the idea of using food as litter anyway.

I "try" to avoid GMO but I don't think labeling has to indicate it so it's hard to know. I did find some GMO popcorn, and OH my what a difference. One time I ran out and had to buy orville redenbackers again and it made me so sick I brought it back.  I checked their website and they fall all over themselves there defending GMO foods.

That should read "I did find some NON GMO popcorn"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »

I "try" to avoid GMO but I don't think labeling has to indicate it so it's hard to know.  I did find some GMO popcorn, and OH my what a difference.  One time I ran out and had to buy orville redenbackers again and it made me so sick I brought it back.  I checked their website and they fall all over themselves there defending GMO foods.

I was never able to grasp the concept of using food as litter.  Chick feed for litter... even more EW!
I forgot about people mentioning that their cats would eat World's Best. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: