Author Topic: NJ Vets Say Too Many Dogs are Getting High from Marijuana - also info for cats  (Read 992 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
The information in this piece is also relevant to cats:

It's not laughing matter. An increasing number of dogs in New Jersey are being treated for intentional and accidental marijuana exposure.

According to Peter Falk, a spokesman for the New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association, there’s been a rising number of dogs on pot being treated by Garden State veterinarians. Also, calls to the Animal Poison Control Center have spiked.

Some people think they’re very funny and blow marijuana smoke in a dog or cat's face, but that’s totally inappropriate,” he said.

There's also danger in edibles.

“If you have a tray of brownies on your counter and you have a Labrador that counter-surfs, that tray is gone. People have to be very careful about access for their pets," he said.

Anyone that stupid (to blow smoke of any kind in an animal's - or human's - face) just shouldn’t have pets.  IMO.   >:D

Falk said if your dog gets high on pot, his or her behavior will probably change noticeably.

“The pet may be wobbly, they may drool, their pupils may become dilated, they may become more vocal. Cats may howl, they may become a little more hyper-active," he said.

Read the entire piece here:  http://nj1015.com/nj-vets-say-too-many-dogs-are-getting-high-from-marijuana/

And NJ is looking to legalize recreational marijuana.   Doh1
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:11:29 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline ThreeStep

• Motor Mouth
If you are stupid your pet has to be tough? What is next?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
If you are stupid your pet has to be tough? What is next?

My "stupid" comment was directed at those who would blow smoke in the pet's face.  I just tweaked it -- sorry for the confusion.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
I've read about this in states where it is already legalized for recreational use.  It has become a real problem in those states.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
I can't wrap my head around why a person would think it is funny...  :(
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: Dogs Cats marijuana high