Author Topic: Question on gizzards  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Question on gizzards
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
Is there any way to, for lack of a better word, "soften" gizzards?  It seems like they tend to make Pookie regurgitate, and I suspect it's because for some reason, the really tough part tends to block him as it tries to move out of his stomach, so it gets brought back up.  I don't want to stop giving him the gizzards, but I don't like the horking, either.

I didn't give him gizzards for a few weeks, just to give him a break, and he kept everything else down.  I did finally give him some a couple of days ago, and let them thaw longer than usual before warming them, and he did ok, so maybe I just have to keep doing it that way.  But I was wondering if anyone here has had this issue, or had any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!  grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Question on gizzards
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 11:56:18 AM »
You have to trim gizzards--you need to get the meat out of that tough covering. It's the covering that's tough and if you don't trim them, you will have a hard time eating them.

At least that's how chefs do them when using gizzard for a dish.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »
Of course if you take that tough stuff off you loose part of the dental benefit.  How about if you cut the tough membrane stuff (I don't know what it's called) into thin strips, strings even?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 01:37:44 AM »
I cut them in smaller pieces.  If I don't, they are used as toys...batted around the house.  Some swallow the pieces whole.  *sigh*  Others won't eat them at all. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 07:34:42 AM »
Queen Eva can manage gizzards if I cut them in thin strips, about an inch long with a quarter inch thickness.  Or cut very flat, about the size and thickness of a nickel.  Jennie loves chewing and the bigger the gizzard the better for her. Mazy never liked gizzards much.

I'm hoping to see turkey gizzards at the store I found them at last year soon.  the guy told me they only get them around November.  Both Queen Eva and Jennie went crazy over turkey gizzards. This year i'm going to stock up.

Tags: