Author Topic: Windows 10 tried to load this morning  (Read 13033 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Windows 10 tried to load this morning
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2016, 06:48:56 PM »
The use of Picture Gallery again more than makes up for anything else, so I will stop whining now.

Just wish I could figure out how to put my desktop picture back, and change that avatar circle back to a square.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 07:07:17 PM »

Just wish I could figure out how to put my desktop picture back, and change that avatar circle back to a square.

http://www.gcflearnfree.org/windows10/6
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 07:12:06 PM »
Never mind I figured out.  I found the picture in photobucket, saved it to my desk top, right clicked on it, found the option "set as desktop background"

voila!

Thanks Dee, I had already tried that "personalize setting" page earlier today.  It's useless for people like me. Or at least, useless to me.  funny2  They just make things too complicated.

Still can find nothing about how to get rid of that stupid circle avatar.  I hate it, cuts off half the picture that way. My log in avatar is the same as the one I use here.  The circle shape cuts off every corner.  It's really annoying.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2016, 07:18:46 PM »
Incidentally there is NOTHING in that personalize setting that tells you how to use your own pictures as a desk top background.

There is absolutely no help at all.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »
You generally have to "Browse" for the file on your computer.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
Yes, that much I know. Look at that personalize page Dee.  There is no browse button in themes..

Never mind, I see I was looking in the wrong place.  I see it now in background.  I do not know why I didn't see it before.  Like I told you this stuff makes me crazy.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »
I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE PICTURE GALLERY BACK!!!!!!! iT IS SO WONDERFUL TO BE ABLE TO SORT AND DRAG AND MOVE AND TAG AND ORGANIZE AND EDIT!

And to think of all the whining I did about Windows 10 hahahahaha!

it's not Vista, which I will never stop yearning for, but at least I have Photo Gallery back.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 08:04:52 PM »
Let's just make sure you go and cut off the personal information it sends to Microsoft?

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2016, 08:09:39 PM »
I did uncheck al that stuff at the beginning.  Whew.

HOWever, when reading this link and following the directions I see they are very sneaky and these things have to be turned off again

Still reading, and still turning off apps.  Wow, what a revelation.  I don't use ANY of that stuff, so turning it all off. Hope it sticks.  I'll check after restarting. Have to go look into those update choices again too.

But not tonight, past my bed time and my eyes are bugging out from all this.

Thanks Dee.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2016, 08:11:10 PM »
 :D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 06:32:41 PM »
I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE PICTURE GALLERY BACK!!!!!!! iT IS SO WONDERFUL TO BE ABLE TO SORT AND DRAG AND MOVE AND TAG AND ORGANIZE AND EDIT!

dance1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 09:16:05 PM »
Can't help myself. This reminded me of this thread.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2016, 04:45:30 AM »
 funny2 funny2 funny2 funny2

Start up is slow.  But I can live with almost anything as long as I have a decent photo/video program.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
Goodness if I don't just feel like Einstein himself!

I was trying to use my printer to print some documents, I am returning a very expensive shirt that tore on the second wearing and I wanted to include all communication so that there would be no mistake about me receiving a full refund including return shipping (this is Coldwater Creek and they gave me a very hard time about it but I did not budge.  For future reference, their quality,. just like Lands'End and J.Jill has dropped to the Walmart clothes level, though the prices haven't)

Anyway my printer wouldn't work I kept getting error but no explanation.  After a few irritating moments it dawned on me that maybe my printer wasn't compatible with Win10.

I dug out the disc that came with it.  Nothing happened when I put it in.

With a vague memory about "drivers" I went searching, got myself to the HP website, figured out how to find the printer, figured out how to download the updated driver, figured it all out!

All without getting frustrated or angry or that helpless hopeless feeling I usually get when dealing with technology. Wow!

Look at me, I'm growing!  HAHAHA!

bananamiddlechild

bt now my wrists hurt.  Too much time on the computer this weekend I think.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2016, 09:24:35 PM »
You GO girl!   clapping1 tiggerbounce coolgif2 dancingbanana
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: