Author Topic: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding  (Read 27601 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Catgirl64's Journey To Raw Feeding
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »
As for people who claim their cats are "fine" on dry . . . yeah, join the club.  We've got jackets.
   thumbsup1 thumbsup1

I just tell myself that this is a journey (as is life), and people are at different places on that journey.  Some just aren't there yet, and most of us were at that place at some point.  Some will "get it" eventually, others won't.  We can only put the information out there and hope that it connects with someone.

Exactly!
Sometimes just planting the seed reaches someone. 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:22:04 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
multistars  Congrats on cutting the cord!  multistars

Is there a shelter you could donate the food to?  I realize kibble's not ideal, but it's something.

As for people who claim their cats are "fine" on dry . . . yeah, join the club.  We've got jackets.   Silly7   On a more serious note, I just tell myself that this is a journey (as is life), and people are at different places on that journey.  Some just aren't there yet, and most of us were at that place at some point.  Some will "get it" eventually, others won't.  We can only put the information out there and hope that it connects with someone.

It was a trial-sized bag, 12 oz., and a packet of expired treats.  Not worth making the trip.  I'm not even sure they would have accepted it, as the bag was slightly damaged from where one of my cats chewed on it. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »
Way to go!!!  I'm also especially glad you tossed the Temptations.  They have more issues, then just about any other treat out there.

I got them because I had read that grinding them up and sprinkling them on new food would induce a reluctant cat to eat.  It may work for some, but not so much for me.  After the first time, they didn't want them anymore, not as a seasoning, not as a treat, not at all. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2018, 05:06:10 PM »
Congratulations Catgirl!  I am so happy for you and your cats!

I think the hardest thing from this point onward might be holding my temper with people who insist that their cats are "just fine" eating dry food, particularly when some health condition indicates that it's even worse for that particular cat than a healthy one.   bangshead

Good luck with that.  Well you've seen my neverending posts lol.  One of my pet things to say is when I tell people once they make the switch they will understand the passion.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
I got them because I had read that grinding them up and sprinkling them on new food would induce a reluctant cat to eat.  It may work for some, but not so much for me.  After the first time, they didn't want them anymore, not as a seasoning, not as a treat, not at all. 

I wasn't judging.  :) 

I bought Meow Mix, or something equally disgusting, to top Jenkins' meals...when he was new to our home.  I wore a hat and sunglasses, when I went to the store to purchase it though!   Silly7
In my defense :) it was whatever he was used to eating at the shelter.  It worked.  I think I only had to use it as a topper twice.  Thank goodness!!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:46:25 PM by Lola »

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2018, 01:20:53 PM »
I wasn't judging.  :) 

I bought Meow Mix, or something equally disgusting, to top Jenkins' meals...when he was new to our home.  I wore a hat and sunglasses, when I went to the store to purchase it though!   Silly7
In my defense :) it was whatever he was used to eating at the shelter.  It worked.  I think I only had to use it as a topper twice.  Thank goodness!!!

Oh, I didn't think that you were.  I just thought it was funny that they didn't live up to their reputation as irresistible.  I think cats must be smarter than we often give them credit for.   ;D

LOL at your incognito purchase of Meow Mix!   funny2 funny2 funny2

I did have to break down and give them some Fancy Feast from my emergency stash for lunch today.  I used up the last of my Alnutrin the day after I placed an order for more, and served the last of the food I made with it this morning.  Fortunately, it is supposed to arrive today, so I will regard this incident as the feline version of taking the kids to McDonald's because mom forgot to defrost anything for dinner.   ::)

I ordered two packets this time, and when the first one is gone, I will order another.  I want to make sure I always have a packet in reserve, so I don't run out again. 

Update:  I just checked the mail, and it did not come, although we did have other mail.  Tracking still says that it is supposed to be here today, so perhaps it will still arrive.  I am going to go ahead and grind up meat for the next batch of food.  If it does not come today, would it be okay for them to miss it for a meal or two?  I do not want them to start expecting canned on a regular basis - they still like it too much.  I could prep the meat and liver, and then maybe grind up a couple of egg yolks with the shells and add them as part of an emergency meal.  They would be missing out on a few things, but only for a day.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:09:40 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2018, 03:48:08 PM »
One day of missing a few things would not be a problem.  When Mazy cat has a bad flare she gets nothing but bone broth, or maybe some plain raw meat if I think she can handle it, for a day. It would be fine.

yeah, I always have a healthy back stock. On everything.  I grew up in a house that we always ran out of everything, especially essentials.  Shampoo, toilet paper, soap. Milk. Food.  I'm not blaming my mother, we were poor, she worked all the time and there there were 5 of us.

But, for instance, when I get down to two bags of Ezcomplete, I order 4 more.  ;D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2018, 05:31:40 AM »
I order as many as I can afford at one time.  Alnutrin for meals with bone, and the one for meals without bone.  I try to avoid panic mode.  :)  Also, since I make several pounds at once, I blow through it pretty quickly!  Buying several at one time, also saves on shipping. 

I HAVE mixed up batches without Alnutrin.  Since some say "if it is 80/10/5/5" all is good...  I go with that theory, with those batches.  :)  Since I don't feed the same protein from the same source, two days in a row... I'm good.

BUT I am with MC... a day of missing something isn't going to be a deal breaker.  Wrapping your head around that, is probably going to be the only obstacle.  :)  Think about whoever it was that checked 10 (?) amount of can pet foods, for the proper nutrients and such... something like 8 of them failed.  I don't remember who, or the exact numbers, but I do remember the outcome was HUGE. 

Disclaimer  :)  I'm not advocating a person feed unbalance meals, but sometimes there ARE emergencies. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2018, 07:54:42 AM »
How is the weighing going?

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2018, 08:51:47 AM »
How is the weighing going?

The ugly truth is that I have been very lax about weighing.  Did it just now, and I am probably going to treat these weights as a starting point.  The problem is, until a cat settles down inside the carrier, the display fluctuates by several ounces, and I think I have just now really gotten the hang of figuring out which one is accurate. 

It does look like some of them have gained a wee bit, except for Jeoffry.  I think he has lost an ounce or two.  This pleases me, as he was the most overweight when we started out.  I have weighed Jenny a few times since my first post about the new scale, because I was really afraid of her not eating and getting fatty liver.  She seems to be doing well. 

I may need to cut down on what I feed, but I think that some of the gains are due to the fact that the cold weather, which has gone on and on, is keeping the cats from spending much time on our screened porch, which is their usual playground.  I am ordering some new toys for them, so I can give them more exercise indoors.     

I do wonder one thing.  Do formerly fat cats ever lose that saggy look around their bellies?  It makes it more difficult to tell if they are getting more fit, and just have some remaining loose skin down there, or if they still need to lose more.  The fact that the heavier cats all have long hair makes it even more difficult.   

I need to do a better job at regular weigh-ins, but I have to say, I've got a lot of other things on my plate right now.  J recovered from the flu alright, but her gait, balance, and fine motor skills have been deteriorating recently.  She is terrified, as am I, but that anxiety only makes things worse.  We were at the doctor's office Thursday for this, and she has three more visits to see if we can find out the cause.  I may end up being a caregiver, as well as a cat parent, and other than making sure everyone is fed, this had been occupying most of my mental energy lately.

Weights as of this morning:

Jeoffry - 15 lb., 10 oz.

Jenny - 11 lb., 14.6 oz.

Truman - 16 lb., 7.7 oz.

Lucy - 7 lb., 15.1 oz.

Violet - 8 lb., 1.4 oz.

Mouse - 8 lb., 6.7 oz. 

Based on eyeballing alone, I would say that Lucy and Violet are at a good weight.  I think Mouse is getting a bit too pudgy.  She does not have the lanky build that Violet does, but she is also a smaller cat, although not by much.  Jeoffry is losing, slowly, and I am pleased.  I don't know what to think about Truman.  Other than that saggy belly from when he was fatter, he looks good.  Not sure about Jenny, either.  She also has the sag, but does not feel heavily padded on her back and ribs.  She is the one most in need of improved muscle mass.  She seems both thin and fat, if that makes any sense, but I do see signs of improvement with the new diet.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:55:14 AM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2018, 09:38:42 AM »
The more often you do it, the quicker they will get used to it. Well you know that of course.  ;)  Some cats have a natural primordial pouch, some don't.  Mazy cat and Queen Eva both have an udder.  Queen Eva is extremely slender and always has been, and she has one. Mazy cat came with it, when I adopted her at about 6 months old.

Jennie, on the other hand doesn't have that sag at all.  Which is odd, because she had at least 3 litters (vet estimate based on the condition of her uterus at spay). And was overweight for a short time when I was still adjusting her canned food amounts her first and second year with me.

I think making today your base point and working from here is a good idea.

I've found that it can take a long time for weight changes to show, when making a dieit reduction or addition.

For instance when I first started feeding raw Jennie did start to plump up again.  I reduced her intake and there was no change for about a month, and then suddenly she seemed to be dropping an ounce a week, and I panicked and put her intake back up.  Conversely it took another month before the weight loss stopped, she stabilized, then she started going back up again.

I have to constantly adjust Jennie's intake. I don't know why. Maybe it has something to do with her metabolism, because she's had pregnancies?  . 

Mazy cat and Queen Eva, both spayed before 6 months, stay stable.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2018, 09:39:51 AM »
I only just saw the part about J.  I'm so sorry you are dealing with that.  yes, very stressful for you both, and the furkids too.  Hug1 Hug1 Hug1 Hug1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2018, 12:46:34 PM »
J recovered from the flu alright, but her gait, balance, and fine motor skills have been deteriorating recently.  She is terrified, as am I, but that anxiety only makes things worse.  We were at the doctor's office Thursday for this, and she has three more visits to see if we can find out the cause.

The flu takes a LOT out of the body.  The one time I had it, it took weeks for me to recover (I also had a sinus infection and GI virus at the same time, but still . . .).  I'll send you a pawmail with some supplement suggestions that might help.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »
Sorry to hear that J is still under the weather.  :( 
All our cats have a pouch to some extent.  Some more obvious than others.  It is part of their normal anatomy. 

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2018, 03:43:45 PM »
I'm discovering how much texture matters.

Because the delivery of my meat grinder was delayed by weather, I have had to improvise.  I fed more canned than I wanted to, then used some ground elk I had in the freezer.  That was a big hit, I wish I could afford it as part of the regular rotation.  Yesterday, I chopped up some chicken breast and pork roast that I felt needed to be processed soon.  I wish I had done this when it was still partially frozen, because that would have been easier.  I chopped it by hand as finely as I could, then mixed it with the ground-up liver, and the Alnutrin and water.  I was not happy with the results, as it looked like it would be too easy for the cats to just lick off the liquid and leave the meat, so, very cautiously, about a quarter cup at a time, I ran it all through the blender.  The final consistency was like stringy baby food.  Blenders and food processors do not work well on skin.  The cats are eating it, but not with much enthusiasm.  I am hoping the grinder will do a better job on skin and connective tissue. 

Do grinders, like knives, work better with meat that is not completely thawed out?

Tags: