Author Topic: Dr. Jodi Lynn Smith "Explains" Her Purchase Of Surgical Laser  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Furkid Parent

• Charter Member
  • Yapper
  • NOT the Twitter Furkid Parent.
    • Parenting-Furkids
Dr. Jodi Lynn Smith "Explains" Her Purchase Of Surgical Laser
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »
Last summer, we announced that we had just purchased our Luxar Surgical Laser so that Dr. Smith could continue her mission to provide the highest quality surgical options for all of your pet's needs.  Laser Surgery for routine procedures (spays, neuters, declaws). and non-elective procedures, such as entropion, tumor/wart removals, anal gland resections, stenotic nares & elongated palate resections on Pugs, Persians,Bulldogs, Boxers, etc. are just some of the surgeries that can be done with LESS PAIN, LESS BLEEDING, and LESS post op INFLAMMATION!!
http://www.allgodscreaturesmobilevet.biz

Cat Scratch Fever one of her reasons to declaw.  Yes, she is serious.   

Today's educational focus is on a very important bacterial infection that most people know little about: "Cat Scratch Fever". Although many know that a cat bite wound can cause DEATH if left untreated, many may not realize how a cat scratch can cause severe illness in affected people. The photos of my hand were taken today after a very aggressive house cat decided he was not happy about me making a visit.
https://www.facebook.com/allgodscreaturesmobilevet/

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Dr. Jodi Lynn Smith "Explains" Her Purchase Of Surgical Laser
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:40:54 PM »
That's like someone telling me that I shouldn't feed raw b/c I've got FMF. I can walk outside and get attacked by coyotes too. Sheesh.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »
Many people posted to her facebook page and politely stated true facts about declawing and it's effects.  She deleted all the posts (except reviews, can't delete those) and blocked all who posted.  She went on to lie even more stating that "Declawing is LEGAL (her caps) in most of the world" which is an out and out easily refutable lie.

Cat scratch fever is caused by fleas.  You see how she operates?

This woman is really horrible. Whacko vet.  It's frightening, how many there are out there.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
I'm sure she'd lie to me if I had a cat and went to her and would tell me that I can't risk having a cat with claws since I have FMF.  Doh1

Some people. There's just no getting along with them b/c they're awful humans that think they are the hand of God.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 02:12:16 PM »
Cat scratch fever is caused by fleas.
  Exactly.  I can't believe anyone is buying into her BS... but they are.  Sad.  Just sad. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 09:07:28 AM »
It really is sad.  This woman is really a maniac.  She sent out another post that went to everyone who've already been blocked from her site screaming about our "bullying" tactics and how we'll all be banned for life and on and on.  Screaming as in every other word was caps.  I could picture her foaming at the mouth as she was typing.  How can someone think this behavior is desirable in a vet?

This lack of self control added to the lies she spreads about declawing just makes me cringe for all the animals taken to her.  It's just so horrifying.

I think this thread needs to be in the declawing forum though doesn't it?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 01:52:09 PM »
Thread moved.  :)

If you would like... share a copy of her rants here.  It would give people a better idea of her real personality. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 06:24:26 PM »
Most of it has been removed.  Including her "reviews" section.  I thought they weren't allowed to remove reviews. What I hope is, enough people saw the factual posts about declawing so that at least one person will educate her or himself.  And that one person will educate another..and so on.

In other news we've got this New York Times debate going on.  A clueless "behaviorist" wrote a blatantly nonfactual editorial on the proposed ban in New York State.  There are three rebuttals from vets active in the Paw Project, and a number of other vets posted in the comments sections under each editorial in the debate.  The Paw Project is asking people to "recommend" (like) all the posts from the vets adding their support in the comments sections.

There are a ton of posts to scroll through (and the ignorance about declawing is so appalling but hopefully some, even ONE, will learn and change their minds, that's the whole point)

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/12/21/should-it-be-illegal-to-declaw-your-cat/declawing-must-be-an-option-to-save-cats-lives

The bill will be up soon, when there is a date I will let you know.  In the meantime keep voting on the other poll, we're more than 70% ahead now!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 09:44:11 AM »
Our first two cats did scratch up the furniture, carpet, etc.  Not knowing ANYTHING about cats (or scratching posts), we assumed that was the norm.  They are cats and they have claws.  We accepted their behavior (and claws), when we accepted them into our home. 

We currently have 6 cats.  None of them scratch up ANYTHING.  They scratch on their scratching posts.

Vets KNOW what declawing entails because they DO it.  They need to STOP.  But they don't. They just get more creative with their offers of "package deals" ... Vaccinations, spay/neuter, and declaw. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 11:16:26 AM »
Our first two cats did scratch up the furniture, carpet, etc.  Not knowing ANYTHING about cats (or scratching posts), we assumed that was the norm.  They are cats and they have claws.  We accepted their behavior (and claws), when we accepted them into our home. 

We currently have 6 cats.  None of them scratch up ANYTHING.  They scratch on their scratching posts.

When I brought home Pookie and Bonnie, I didn't know anything about declawing.  I didn't do it because at the time because I didn't know if it was necessary and I didn't want to pay the extra cost.  I figured I'd give positive reinforcement training a try and see how things went.

I had multiple scratching posts and whenever they would use one I would praise them.  Very rarely did they ever scratch the furniture or rugs.  If they tried to scratch something that wasn't a post, I'd make a harsh sound, which made them stop, and then I'd scratch a post and they would do the same and I'd praise them.  To the very last day that either of them were with me, if I was home when they used a post, I would praise, and to look at my furniture, etc., you'd never know 2 cats had lived there.

It didn't take a lot of time or effort, it just involved being consistent.  And I am so glad that it worked and that I never put them through such a horrible procedure.  So I don't understand people who would sacrifice the health and well-being of another living creature to "spare" their furniture, or vets that would promote it.  It wasn't hard to "train" my furkids, and if I could do it, anyone can.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »
That's a terric post for the NY Times debate Pookie! Would you be willing to post it there?

It's really important to get across the idea that the house and furniture doens't HAVE to be trashed, just because a cat has claws.  Saying "my furniture is torn up but I don't care, my cats are more important"  which is what many people say, isn't helpful to put across to people who DO care if their furniture is torn up.  It's better to see comments like yours, so people can learn and understand that cats ARE trainable.

I got into a discussion with someone the other day who had declawed her cat.  My reply:

<edit>

Wait, that's the wrong reply.  Darn, I'll have to go look for it.

Oh irt was on the NY Times Debate thread here it is:

You know, the posts that really get to me are the ones who say "they were putting holes in my bedspread" or "He went right up the blinds so we had him declawed. I mean, how can people so calmly state they had their cats' toes cut off because of a bedspread?

Instead of eagerly cutting off the cat's toes, why didn't their vet say "oh no, this isn't necessary at all. Put the bedspread (or blinds) away for a few months and train the kitten or cat when and where to use her claws.

This is done by providing kitty with a variety of scratching surfaces. Cats have a lot of different preferences. Put them in any room kitty spends a lot of time, especially near favorite sleeping spots.

Use the scratchers when you play with kitty. Daily play time exercises kitty's body and mind, which prevents boredom. The more YOU play with your cat, the more she will play on her own--instead of digging holes in the rug. This is what people in the rest of the world do, with their cats.

Once kitty is grown up, and is trained to use and jump and play on her own things, you can put your bedspread back out. " That is what vets should be saying.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 12:42:47 PM »
It isn't that I didn't care.  I made a lot of changes to my home, before I stumbled onto info about cat scratching posts. 
I was just trying to stress that a person gets a cat and then is surprised it scratches furniture or whatever. It is no different than getting a puppy and being surprised that he/she chews up shoes, socks, etc. 

PS
Thank GOODNESS my vet (at the time) didn't mention declawing... or I may have had it done.  Not knowing what declawing REALLY involves and trusting the vet.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:45:32 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
I knew what you were saying. So many people, like you and Pookie were before, still don't know what declawing actually IS.  They just think it is the norm because the vet offers coupons and packages. 

It doesn't occur to them that cats can be trained, and that they will actually have a much better bond with their cat if they actually pay attention to the cat, rather than cutting off her toes.

So both of your posts would be helpful, on the NY Times debate page.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 02:29:54 PM »
Just to be clear...  :)  I wasn't barking at you.  I just don't understand people AND vets at times. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 02:36:29 PM »
That's a terric post for the NY Times debate Pookie! Would you be willing to post it there?

It's really important to get across the idea that the house and furniture doens't HAVE to be trashed, just because a cat has claws.  Saying "my furniture is torn up but I don't care, my cats are more important"  which is what many people say, isn't helpful to put across to people who DO care if their furniture is torn up.  It's better to see comments like yours, so people can learn and understand that cats ARE trainable.

I got into a discussion with someone the other day who had declawed her cat.  My reply:

<edit>

Wait, that's the wrong reply.  Darn, I'll have to go look for it.

Oh irt was on the NY Times Debate thread here it is:

You know, the posts that really get to me are the ones who say "they were putting holes in my bedspread" or "He went right up the blinds so we had him declawed. I mean, how can people so calmly state they had their cats' toes cut off because of a bedspread?

Instead of eagerly cutting off the cat's toes, why didn't their vet say "oh no, this isn't necessary at all. Put the bedspread (or blinds) away for a few months and train the kitten or cat when and where to use her claws.

This is done by providing kitty with a variety of scratching surfaces. Cats have a lot of different preferences. Put them in any room kitty spends a lot of time, especially near favorite sleeping spots.

Use the scratchers when you play with kitty. Daily play time exercises kitty's body and mind, which prevents boredom. The more YOU play with your cat, the more she will play on her own--instead of digging holes in the rug. This is what people in the rest of the world do, with their cats.

Once kitty is grown up, and is trained to use and jump and play on her own things, you can put your bedspread back out. " That is what vets should be saying.

I just realized there is something I meant to say but forgot in this particular passage. Where I said "Cats have many different preferences (in scratching surfaces)" I should add that, it is important to pay attention and learn what the cat prefers. This is imperative in a successful training.

This is also important during play sessions. If you pay close attention your cat gives many clues about what she likes and doesn't, and how she wants you to play the game. The more attention that is paid to those clues, the more satisfying the play session is for every one. THAT is what creates a "better bond between human and cat," not "declawing" (amputation of the first toe digits), as still too many vets are advertising.

Tags: