Author Topic: Antibiotics  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Antibiotics
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »
So I've been doing a little digging and realized that both clavamox and amoxicillin are in the same "class" of antibiotics.  Both are related to penicillin.  Since Pookie couldn't tolerate either of them, I'm wondering if he has an issue with penicillin.  So I went back to that dental vet's article and looked up the other antibiotics he mentions.  I printed the drug inserts to read later, but wanted to get your thoughts/opinions/knowledge on these:

- Flagyl (aka metronidazole)
- clindamycin
- tetracycline
- ampicillin (also a penicillin med, so this I don't think this would work for Pookie, but toss your comments out for others to reference)
- Baytril

Thanks!   :-* HeadButt
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:09:18 PM by Pookie »
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 05:16:47 PM »
I agree...get away from the antibiotics that are related. Also, another reason not to consider convenia...related. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »
Thanks, Lola, I didn't realize.  That gives me more reason to not use the Convenia.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 02:58:38 PM »
Because of the info I found about Baytril and cat retinas, I think I'd be inclined to pick one of these two that you listed:

- Flagyl (aka metronidazole)
- clindamycin

Tetracycline can really cause a human stomach to burn like Hades, so I'd be reluctant to give it to something that couldn't tell me it was hurting--especially a cat that already took Pepcid.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
Pookie I am so sorry!  I thought I mentioned in your other thread that amoxicilin clavamox and Convenia are all related.  That's one of the reasons I was so annoyed with your vet for recommending the Convenia.  It says right in the literature of convenia that a cat who can't tolerate penicillin should not have the Convenia injection.  Maybe I just thought it and forgot to actually post it, I am sorry about that.

The danger of retina degeneration and Baytril is very slight.  It might happen if a cat was on a very high dose, or on a prolonged dose.  Tolly took Baytril for his liver infections, he tolerated it very well. (though it is notoriously nasty tasting, you may want to use a gel capsule if using it, though I never did.

Mazy cat also tolerated Baytril well when she took it for a very bad ear infection, after I put the stop to any more clavamox for her.

Flagyl (metronidazole) I think is more for intestinal type bacterial issues, I'm not sure it would be appropriate for a dental.

I think you already know how I feel about the clindamycin, (Antirobe) I think it is fine for cats, and it is the most appropriate medication for dental infections.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 05:37:55 PM »
I am also sorry that I didn't mention, more clearly, why not to go with another penicillin.  I don't want to "dog" your vet... and I would give him/her a pass on trying a second kind (since so many think it is normal for cats to barf)... but a third..convenia no less?   Doh1

grouphug
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »
I am also sorry that I didn't mention, more clearly, why not to go with another penicillin.  I don't want to "dog" your vet... and I would give him/her a pass on trying a second kind (since so many think it is normal for cats to barf)... but a third..convenia no less?   Doh1

grouphug

To be fair, we didn't know he couldn't handle that class of drugs until we tried the clavamox and amoxicillin.  Originally she wanted to go with the Convenia, but that was before we tried the other 2 (those were my idea--I was looking for alternatives and had no idea clavamox and amoxicillin were related, though you would think the vet would have thought of that :-\).  I would bet, though, that she'd say the Convenia would be fine because since it's an injection, it's bypassing the GI tract so it would be tolerated.  Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't.  Bottom line:  I have a problem with any medication that's in the body for 65 days, because if he should have a reaction to it, there's no getting it out of his system.  The possible side effects are nothing to ignore, either.

I think I read about the retinal issue in Baytril, but if I remember correctly, that was on very high doses, which are not recommended.

The holistic vet mentioned Baytril and clindamycin, but favored the Baytril.  I think she said the clindamycin cat doses were liquid (which Pookie won't allow) and she wasn't sure it came in a tablet form for cats in an appropriate dosage, but I could have misunderstood what she said (I didn't get a lot of sleep last night).

Thank you all, so much.  You have no idea how much I appreciate your input and support.  heartbeatgif

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
We know. HeadButt 

Since Tolly Angel took clindamycin in pill form, it does indeed come in pill form. Tomorrow I will dig out his file, they were small pills, but I don't remember the dose.  Petmeds has them, but I don't think Tolly's pills looked like that, I am sure they were small and round.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Clindamycin-prod10350.html

<edit> oh I see, those are pictures of the capsules.  YOu can click to see pictures of the pills. 25 mg pills, hmm.  I don't remember having to split them, but maybe I did.  I'll find his files tomorrow, with the dosage information.

I have Mazy cat's file in front of me.  She took Baytril 22.7 mg 1/2 tablet a day (so half of 22.7 mg) for 10 days. I gave it with food at her supper meal.

I'm pretty sure that's the dose Tolly took for his liver infections, too, but he was on it for two full weeks, each time..

Tags: